Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I wasn't trying to comment on the rights and wrongs of the case, but just interested to realise that there is some debate about the case, whether or not it is biased. To read some on here, one would think he was a cross between the Yorkshire Ripper and Ian Brady and I expected to read that he was holding people at knifepoint and wearing a mask while doing the evil deed.

And, as the father of two (grown-up) daughters, I am not trying to diminish rape in any way or say that there are degrees of rape, or say that the girl was "asking for it". I do not know enough about the case to make such assumptions.

Sorry I wasn't trying to infer that you we're diminshing it, just pointing out where the protest of innoncence came from.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry I wasn't trying to infer that you we're diminshing it, just pointing out where the protest of innoncence came from.

No problem - I probably should have said more in the original post anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Isn't that website run by relatives of evans and so may not be totally "fair"? As with most things there are 2 sides to every story but he was convicted by a jury of his peers.....

Indeed. I imagine something similar can be produced for a lot of people who were convicted by courts who saw evidence presented by both sides, rather than just one side.

And yes, you'd think "fair" would be presenting both sides of the story, not just one side.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I do see your point about a person going into a job and reintergrating into society and I do think prisoner rehabilitation especially sex offenders is a taboo subject, without any easy answers. What I can't help thinking about is how would you feel if you were a rape victim working at a club or a supporter of the club who then employed a convicted rapist. The argument of he's done his time and shouldn't be punished further seems pretty hollow if you're the one living with the consequences of that everyday. I believe there are some actions that hold consequences beyond your custodial sentance and sometimes that means you can't go back to certain jobs. Although what is particularly tricky with football is it's not a normal job. You can argue being a footballer doesn't put you in contact with vulnerable people like say a teacher would, but then you could also argue that the high profile nature of the job means they are a unique position to influence and come into contact with people in different ways. I think probably we're going to have to agree to disagree on what we think is more important.

Agree, about agreeing to disagree! The victim lived / lives in North Wales so I'm guessing that's not a major issue in general terms but you're right still a massive issue for the victim and a crime that she'll carry with her for many years; as might the perpetrator?

There are no winners but I just don't feel you can carry on with restrictions and punishments beyond what is stated in law, which is, after all, what we should all live by.

I would imagine, as most players come into contact with children, that there would be an issue as a child could be considered more vulnerable to influence from such a person. So what should happen to a person on leaving prison, should they be left with no chance of employment, no chance of rehabilitation and leaving themselves destitute? This player, even post conviction, has still maintained his innocence. The court found him guilty so we can assume they are right and he is guilty, but this sentence isn't one that he should be impacted with for the rest of his life, should it?

If we don't allow prisoners to integrate back into society we're going to have a serious problem in the future.

Agreed - part (not all, but part) of the problem is the money footballers earn. Is this a fair and impartial reason? It's a tricky one and I don't know the answer for sure. At the end of the day, we will all have our own individual views on this, and any football club will take into account the views of their fans in employing him.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Once he serves his sentence he can go back to work and that is how it works. Being told he is a role model by some silly woman on the radio made me laugh. Does she think that all those little lads playing in parks, are now more likely to go out and rape a girl ?

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Footballers are role models for kids, what sort of message would it be sending?

No they are not, who told you that. It's fathers, uncles and older brothers and the like who should be the role models.
A kid might emulate what a footballer does on the pitch and that needs to be monitored by the people who run the game. That is a separate argument though.

Aug 23, 2011
I would imagine, as most players come into contact with children, that there would be an issue as a child could be considered more vulnerable to influence from such a person. So what should happen to a person on leaving prison, should they be left with no chance of employment, no chance of rehabilitation and leaving themselves destitute? This player, even post conviction, has still maintained his innocence. The court found him guilty so we can assume they are right and he is guilty, but this sentence isn't one that he should be impacted with for the rest of his life, should it?

If we don't allow prisoners to integrate back into society we're going to have a serious problem in the future.

I do agree in part however footballers are high profile being on tv, in the media etc and could easily be seen by the victim and it would be hard to see that i imagine. Although you shouldn't restrict his ability to earn, he could surely do another job and this may make some of the other footballers who think they are better than everyone else think twice if they realise they could lose their gravy train

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Lee Hughes...convicted murderer...hit and run...legged it from the scene...happily plying his trade in league football.
Rape...Murder...where do they stand?....is one more acceptable than the other or should they both be ' no go areas ' for rehabilitation or re-employment in football?

You better mind what you say.

Lee Hughes is a despicable man, but he isn't a murderer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd say that, although they'd be within their rights to re-employ him, Sheff Utd would be on very dodgy ground from an image point of view unless his appeal is successful. Maybe the new evidence that Evans' legal team have presented as reason for an appeal is compelling.

The website linked earlier in this thread certainly makes some interesting points. I recognise that it's a one sided point of view, but it makes you wonder how a jury can conclude guilt 'beyond reasonable doubt' when all they have is a victim who claims to have no memory of anything. It's not dissimilar to the case involving the Albion players in that respect.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Check out his victims twitter on the site after the event. I personally would give him a chance .

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Errr... FICTION actually .

There is a filtering process now where certain offences are removed from the DBS document , but will remain in Police records.

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/filtering-simple-guide/

Oh you numpty, that filtering really goes a long way doesn't it, covering so many convictions on so many counts.....jeez people like you sometimes have no idea and YES it's the first time I have ever been rude to someone on here! Have you actually examined the bloody thing? Like stealing a couple of cars age 15/16 resulting in two convictions and it will still be disclosed? Like making two mistakes in your childhood resulting in two court appearances resulting in two different sentences? Mr bloody self righteous Mr bloody blimp! I'd hate to be you pal!

addition: if your being pedantic re my comment that ALL records will be disclosed you perhaps are technically correct but there are so many people being discriminated against in this day and age and all you can be bothered about is pedantry statements.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here