Simple NSC EU poll

Do you want the UK in or out of the EU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
In.

Sure, there are issues with the EU, but leaving will screw us over and lose the country and economy loads......and since we wouldnt be a part of the EU anymore, they wouldnt give any financial support. Then there is the issue on foreign people currently in the UK and ex-pats living in EU countries as the right to travel within the EU would exclude the UK, effectively isolating ourselves and severing trade with other countries.

Really? I thought the UK contributes more to the EU financially than it receives through grants and subsidies.

I don't think UK citizens would lose the right to travel within Europe. I am pretty sure you didn't need a visa to travel to the mainland before the EU, why would you need one if the UK left (unless the EU forced Brits to have one to travel out of spite)?

Expats in skilled jobs would probably be fine long term as they'd be able to get work visas. Retirees with cash in the bank would probably be able to get similar. The people it would affect would be those who aren't in high skill jobs, or aren't employed (or are retired but don't have much in the way of retirement funds).

I also don't think some of the UK's big trading partners in the EU would be willing to cease all trade with the UK either. That would be detremental to themselves.

All in all I don't think it would be as big of a problem for the UK as people make it out to be.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Just out of interest. If we came out of the EU. Would it affect you in Brno?

Moved back now Blackadder , I think may be for a while yet ! I admit it was easy for me to live out there for business purposes but then so it was for many manufacturing companies from the UK looking for cheap property and labour and in turn other UK companies coming over to supply these companies .

I will get round to changing my name !

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Totally in. Have been a convinced European since before we joined the EU for lots of reasons over and above the economic.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Out, But if there was a SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT option I would have put that.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Not sure about the 'in' reasons of being left behind / left out / excluded culturally. Strange reasons.

Being in Europe does two things - allows more centralisation of power, and allows large multi-national corporations to harmonise in different countries more easily.

Visas didn't exist before we were in the EU, and England geographically will always be "in" Europe.

The economy thing keeps cropping up - but england only buys (mostly from china i guess), and if one watches the markets, the Euro follows the Pound = the BoE central bank has more weight than the ECB. The London hedge funds are much more "powerful" than those based around Europe.

I am 'out' as any increase in centralisation of power I see as toxic (751 seats representing 500 million, when the 751 'winners' don't really represent the 500 million - but really around 5,000 businessman).

out for me, but it will never happen as the corps won't allow it and the BoE loves cheap workers (eastern europe immigrants).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Can you expand on this? We are often told that it would be an econmic disaster but I don't know why and I'd genuinely like to know more. I work for a company that deals with the far East and that's about it.

Europe is somewhere I go on holiday.

I was supposed to quote [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] re why it would be bad economically

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Can you expand on this? We are often told that it would be an econmic disaster but I don't know why and I'd genuinely like to know more. I work for a company that deals with the far East and that's about it.

I was supposed to quote [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] re why it would be bad economically

To give 1 example, I'd say investments from outside of the EU in manufacturing, Nissan, Toyota etc and the plants they build in the UK. There's zero chance of plants like then ending up in UK if we're outside of the EU. Vehicle manufacturing is often heralded as recent success story, wouldn't be there but for the EU. As you know, I work for a multi national, I'm fairly sure there would be repercussions here as well if we were not in EU.....

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

A little more paperwork and red-tape for large corps that franchise in europe.....e.g vodafone etc.

I also have seen no reason yet why it would be bad economically - it's not as if we would get a different VAT rate, and at present we have the £/Euro conversion.

Londons finance centre is the king of europe (just watch the trading charts for a few days), thís won't change in a long while due to the power of the BoE and the London based Hedge Funds. The top 20 corps in the FTSE100 are worth more than many nations in the EU, so this economy plackard just doesn't wash with me.....yet.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

Don't know IP , I am back in the UK now and have a small business and hope to grow this business with the Czech Republic , I import and export at present and it wouldn't make the slightest difference to me , only if there was a single currency which would save me money on rate conversion and bank charges I guess .

If you have a good product of good quality and reasonable pricing which somebody wants to buy , then any company in the world will buy it whether in the EU or not .

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Totally in. Have been a convinced European since before we joined the EU for lots of reasons over and above the economic.

Could you kindly list some of these reasons please?

A question away from the EU poll - Would you prefer someone who doesn't speak your language in another country to make your laws and rules, or someone local?

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
I know it's been done before, but keep it simple, do you want us IN or OUT of the EU. No ifs or buts, nor sitting on the fence, a definitive poll.

Personally I'm up for a United States of Europe (although under a different name).

With regards to what name to use, my thinking is that a lot of Europe is made up of sovereign states (Spain, Sweden, Holland etc) which are normally known as Kingdoms, and what do we want to do with these Kingdoms….we want to unite them! surely the obvious answer is to call it The United Kingdom & while we're at it we can give them an established world wide currency with a AAA economy!!! All sorted:thumbsup:

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
To give 1 example, I'd say investments from outside of the EU in manufacturing, Nissan, Toyota etc and the plants they build in the UK. There's zero chance of plants like then ending up in UK if we're outside of the EU. Vehicle manufacturing is often heralded as recent success story, wouldn't be there but for the EU. As you know, I work for a multi national, I'm fairly sure there would be repercussions here as well if we were not in EU.....

Do we not give these companies better tax incentives to produce here rather than mainland Europe , and possibly our close relationship with Japan ? Surely it would make more sense to build in mainland Europe rather than pay the extra transportation costs so there must be a very good reason , not just that we are in the EU . I may be wrong just saying like !

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do we not give these companies better tax incentives to produce here rather than mainland Europe , and possibly our close relationship with Japan ? Surely it would make more sense to build in mainland Europe rather than pay the extra transportation costs so there must be a very good reason , not just that we are in the EU . I may be wrong just saying like !

No, you're right, being in the EU is not the only reason, but if we're out they wouldn't be making cars and exporting them to the EU, paying all the appropriate duties.... FYI 85% of the cars made by Toyota in Burnaston are exported to the EU.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
In economically. Out politically. Seems its a matter of when it will happen since Germany's best mate France is becoming sceptical.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In economically. Out politically. Seems its a matter of when it will happen since Germany's best mate France is becoming sceptical.

Sadly for you, one cannot choose. You're either in economically and politically or you're out.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
10297893_10152033032177471_3417920355303603210_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here