Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man U v Sunderland - Gus on HIS way to Wembley

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've had a few mind changes when it comes to Gus but you Can't argue with results, I pretty much agree with what TCB said towards the top of the previous page, let's not kid ourselves he took us from nobodies fooling around at the bottom of league one to a very competitive championship club, and I for one will always look upon Poyet in a fond way, even if things ended sourly under bizzare circumstances & the fact he was an outspoken idiot at times, you can't argue with what he did for this club.

If we ever meet them I would give him a good reception.
Wise words. He's not perfect, very full of himself, but he played his part superbly well for us and ultimately that is the most important thing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hmm maybe but you seem to be ignoring what he did to the club/players/fans at the end though.

We may have been lucky to have him but we are all suffering from the fall-out now.

True. He was an utter tosser to us in the end game.

Sad that poyet the sulk got to wembley, palace got to the premier league, and we got shag all.

Maybe Karma will reverse it all ? ???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Certainly the right time to play Man U, no Rooney or Van Percie, De Gea spilling the ball. Bad penalties all round. I reckon we could have stuffed United tonight based on their sterile performance.

Very entertaining though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Sunderland difficult to beat
bit like us when he was at the Albion
and glad OG continues in the good work

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
True. He was an utter tosser to us in the end game.

Sad that poyet the sulk got to wembley, palace got to the premier league, and we got shag all.

Maybe Karma will reverse it all ? ???

Karma has already worked, hence we are in the premier league and Gus is going to Wembley

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very mind the football, feel the Drama

It was just like watching the Albion last year, right down to letting in the last minute goal. Lee Catermole plays identical to Liam Bridcutt and would keep him out of the Sunderland side. Adam Johnson is very similar to Will Buckley as well.

For that matter Borini reminded me of Ashley Barnes but better, but not by that much.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm enjoying the Man Utd season implosion too much to begrudge Gus this semi-final victory. Part of me hopes he'll get a result on the last day of the season to send Palace down, dedicate it to the Brighton fans and then we'll all feel some peace and love.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Out of all the wannabe football pundits on here, I have never seen any that were as so consistently wrong as TCB. He is overly prone to hyperbolic, boldly declarative statments that almost inevitably turn out to be complete bobbins.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...The-Complete-Badger&highlight=complete+badger

A few years ago I would have agreed with you but [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] seems to have mellowed and matured. I find myself agreeing with him a majority of the time so I'm with [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] on this one. Of course it could mean I've become less mature rather than TCB maturing !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Hmm maybe but you seem to be ignoring what he did to the club/players/fans at the end though.

We may have been lucky to have him but we are all suffering from the fall-out now.

I can see it ending the same way at Sunderland as soon as he's enhanced his reputation enough and they no longer have the finances to match his ambition, we're all just bus stops on the Gus Bus route to Stamford bridge.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can see it ending the same way at Sunderland as soon as he's enhanced his reputation enough and they no longer have the finances to match his ambition, we're all just bus stops on the Gus Bus route to Stamford bridge.

He is very unpopular and widely disliked by the fans at stamford bridge , he has never been forgiven for a) moving to tottenham and b) kissing their badge when they scored against us shortly afterwards .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is very unpopular and widely disliked by the fans at stamford bridge , he has never been forgiven for a) moving to tottenham and b) kissing their badge when they scored against us shortly afterwards .
This might be true, but a couple of months of winning and I reckon people would quickly change their mind about one of your old boys. It happens everywhere.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was just like watching the Albion last year, right down to letting in the last minute goal. Lee Catermole plays identical to Liam Bridcutt and would keep him out of the Sunderland side. Adam Johnson is very similar to Will Buckley as well.

For that matter Borini reminded me of Ashley Barnes but better, but not by that much.

Please don't compare Johnson to Buckley! That is just laughable

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Probably of all time. We all knew from the start that Gus had the attitude, ability and footballing nous to manage at the highest level. Anyone who denies it now, is simply in denial. Sunderland fans are lucky to have him - just as we were.

History will judge whether Poyet rates as our greatest manager of all time.
There are parallels with Adams. One divisional title apiece. Consolidation at a higher level. Reputations tarnished following departure. Both, in my book, would rate behind Mullery. Two promotions and survival at the highest level and presiding over the most exciting period in BHA history. McGhee gained us promotion in the best possible ( money-spinning ) way and then kept us up against all the odds. No mean feat.
Slade had the most remarkable short-term achievement, getting us 16 pts from 6 matches, when we were dead and buried and ultimately providing a higher platform for Poyet to spring from. Billy Lane spent years trying to get out of Div 3 South, when only one team was promoted. He played attractive, free-scoring football and finally achieved the very first promotion for BHA. Jimmy Melia...a cup final against all the odds.
Archie Macauley dragged us from the pits of despair, after two successive relegations. Pulled off the biggest player signing coup in our history and won us the Championship.
Peter Taylor ( no.1 ) ignored the overtures of Brian Clough to join him and stayed to create the platform for the most successful period in our history. If he did nothing else, the signing of Peter Ward from Burton Albion should put him right up there. Steve Gritt, unquestionably achieving the greatest result in our history. Where would we be now had we dropped out the league? Would we still be here?
Its all relative. Each of these managers had different sets of circumstances to deal with. Adams, McGhee and Poyet came in when the club had stabilised a bit. Gritt was dealing with the most difficult period in our history.
It is too glib and simple to place Poyet at the top of this list. He had the two ' honeymoon ' seasons at the Amex, which left many with rose-tinted specs.
Ultimately, he wasn't able to walk away with any dignity. It was an ugly departure. He was the architect of his own downfall and he tarnished his own reputation at BHA. ( Its now being cleverly rebuilt at Sunderland via enormous media coverage ) He had the opportunity to create a massive pay-day for our club but very sadly put his own ambitions first. For the very reason that he failed to maintain focus when it mattered most, he loses a lot of credibility with me, when it comes to judging the best BHA managers of all time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
History will judge whether Poyet rates as our greatest manager of all time.
There are parallels with Adams. One divisional title apiece. Consolidation at a higher level. Reputations tarnished following departure. Both, in my book, would rate behind Mullery. Two promotions and survival at the highest level and presiding over the most exciting period in BHA history. McGhee gained us promotion in the best possible ( money-spinning ) way and then kept us up against all the odds. No mean feat.
Slade had the most remarkable short-term achievement, getting us 16 pts from 6 matches, when we were dead and buried and ultimately providing a higher platform for Poyet to spring from. Billy Lane spent years trying to get out of Div 3 South, when only one team was promoted. He played attractive, free-scoring football and finally achieved the very first promotion for BHA. Jimmy Melia...a cup final against all the odds.
Archie Macauley dragged us from the pits of despair, after two successive relegations. Pulled off the biggest player signing coup in our history and won us the Championship.
Peter Taylor ( no.1 ) ignored the overtures of Brian Clough to join him and stayed to create the platform for the most successful period in our history. If he did nothing else, the signing of Peter Ward from Burton Albion should put him right up there. Steve Gritt, unquestionably achieving the greatest result in our history. Where would we be now had we dropped out the league? Would we still be here?
Its all relative. Each of these managers had different sets of circumstances to deal with. Adams, McGhee and Poyet came in when the club had stabilised a bit. Gritt was dealing with the most difficult period in our history.
It is too glib and simple to place Poyet at the top of this list. He had the two ' honeymoon ' seasons at the Amex, which left many with rose-tinted specs.
Ultimately, he wasn't able to walk away with any dignity. It was an ugly departure. He was the architect of his own downfall and he tarnished his own reputation at BHA. ( Its now being cleverly rebuilt at Sunderland via enormous media coverage ) He had the opportunity to create a massive pay-day for our club but very sadly put his own ambitions first. For the very reason that he failed to maintain focus when it mattered most, he loses a lot of credibility with me, when it comes to judging the best BHA managers of all time.

Blimey, did you have that written down somewhere and cut and pasted it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here