mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It replaces showing friendlies on ITV with showing competitive matches on Sky, which is, after all, the be all and end of all of international sport.

Really quite amazing that anyone can use the phrase "It replaces showing friendlies on ITV..." and make that into a negative thing. Can I remind you:

a) friendlies are boring and shit, and
b) ITV is fcking shit

Whatever happens to the Nations League, it cannot be any worse than the utter gash that was the situation before it arrived. I think it's worth a go, and I really like the idea. I don't really care who shows it, but not being on ITV is a definite bonus.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So if you do well you can qualify through The Nations League for the finals of The Euros.... yes ?

So giving you exemption from pre- qualifying so then you can play some friendlies instead.......

Right I’m going to read it all again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also watched it and had Germany not had an Ozil shaped hole in the middle of the park I reckon the game would've been even better!

It's pretty simple in effect. The confusing part is the Euros Qualification but this video explains it pretty well.

"The top four teams in each league (not group) who have not already qualified for that summer's European Championship will be offered another bite at the cherry. They will be entered into a play-off round with one spot guaranteed for each league.

So in effect, Switzerland/Croatia (league A), Sweden/Wales (League B), Scotland/Romania (League C), a minnow (League D), will qualify if they fail to do so through the qualifiers. It gives the chance for one/two nations who never qualify to participate but should make the international game much stronger over the next few years.

The fact you need a video to explain it says a lot. I reckon there will be a moment when some Russian maths professor states someone has qualified and it take UEFA two weeks to confirm it.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The fact you need a video to explain it says a lot. I reckon there will be a moment when some Russian maths professor states someone has qualified and it take UEFA two weeks to confirm it.

If you think that's complicated, look at the formula for the new FIFA ranking points system. (When you have worked it out, I actually think it will work well, much better than the old system where you could lose points for winning a friendly against lowly opposition.

P = Pbefore + I * (W – We)

Pbefore: Points before the match

I: importance of match
 I= 05 Friendly matches played outside of International Match Calendar windows
 I= 10 Friendly matches played during International Match Calendar windows
 I= 15 Group phase matches of Nations League competitions
 I= 25 Play-off and final matches of Nations League competitions
 I= 25 Qualification matches for Confederations final competitions and for FIFA World Cup final competitions
 I= 35 Confederation final competition matches up until the QF stage
 I= 40 Confederation final competition matches from the QF stage onwards; all FIFA Confederations Cup matches
 I= 50 FIFA World Cup final competition matches up until QF stage
 I= 60 FIFA World Cup final competition matches from QF stage onwards

W: result of the match
 1 = win; 0.5 = draw; 0 = defeat

We: expected result of the match
We = 1 / (10^(-dr/600) + 1) - That's 10 to the power of (-dr/600)
With dr=difference in ratings of the two playing teams, i.e. dr = [Pbefore of Team A – Pbefore of Team B]

To put this into perspective, England currently have 1650 points and Spain 1580.
In a Nations League competition;
If England win they gain 6 points, for beating a slightly lower ranked team, Spain lose 6 points
If Spain win they gain 8 points for beating a slightly higher ranked team, England lose 8 points
In a draw, Spain gain 1 point, for drawing with a slightly higher ranked team, England lose 1 point

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Personally, I just felt that a clear visual explanation from a reputable source will clear things up far quicker than trying to explain it myself.

And that will never be the case because it doesn't require a formula to work out who has won a football match. There are leagues, then there are semi-finals and a final for those at the top of the tree (League A), and those who do well in the other tiers will have a play-off for a spot at Euro 2020. Pretty simple.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
You used the words League, Group, and Division.............still not clear....try again.

Edit - read other posts - ok - i get it..........messy - but better than friendlies. Groups of 3??? lol.

I think you being confused after that first line probably says more about you than the post. It was fairly clear that league and division meant the same thing.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
So if you do well you can qualify through The Nations League for the finals of The Euros.... yes ?

So giving you exemption from pre- qualifying so then you can play some friendlies instead.......

Qualification for Euro 2020 is simple - 10 groups, top two go through. No play offs.

The Play offs are now tied to the Nations League.

The winners of each nation league group (4 per, ABCD) qualify for the 2020 playoffs.

The four from each league play a SF and a final, the winner of each of these mini tournaments gets a spot at 2020.

If a nation has already qualified for 2020 by finishing in the two of their 2020 qualifying group, then their spot in the league play off mini tournament goes to the next best team.

Each league, ABCD has 1 'play off spot' meaning some utterly shitehouse team from League D is guaranteed to qualify for 2020

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

No. There is no direct qualification from The Nations League to the Euros.

Each of the 16 group winners are guaranteed a play off place for the Euro's if they fail to qualify from the normal qualification process. If any group winner qualifies through normal Euro 2020 qualifying then the place goes to the next best ranked side from the same League that hasn't already qualified.

The playoff semis and finals will be played between teams from the same League, so at the end of it 1 team from each of the 4 Leagues (A-D) will have qualified for the Euros.

There is no play off places for the normal Euro 2020 qualifiers, the teams finishing 1st and 2nd in each group will qualify directly for the Euros.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions: I do wish you'd listen, It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If it takes place every two years, will it offer some sort of play-off for the World Cup in the same way as the Euros?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Really quite amazing that anyone can use the phrase "It replaces showing friendlies on ITV..." and make that into a negative thing. Can I remind you:

a) friendlies are boring and shit, and
b) ITV is fcking shit

Whatever happens to the Nations League, it cannot be any worse than the utter gash that was the situation before it arrived. I think it's worth a go, and I really like the idea. I don't really care who shows it, but not being on ITV is a definite bonus.

Apart from the fact that I and many others can't watch it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
We can go to the pub or pay for Now TV or whatever if it is an important one. And let's not forget, friendlies on ITV with are never worth watching!

I know, and I agree with the fact that ITV are terrible but it's the principle of matches being moved off free to view, not everybody does have the options you list, even if I do. It will be the World Cup next.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Seagulls home shirt spotted in the crowd amongst the Portugal and Italy fans! Justbefore the teams lined up!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a bit convoluted, but overall I'm definitely in favour of it. Anything that replaces totally meaningless friendlies can only be a good thing.

The one flaw I can see is that if you're out of the running for the Playoffs, there's actually more of an incentive to get relegated, as you'll be assured of an easier group the next time round. So if we get to the last game or two, and one of the teams is already out of the running for a Playoff spot, it would make more sense to make sure you finish bottom, get relegated, and secure an easier draw the next time round. Countries getting 'promoted' is a double-edged sword. You get a shot in the Playoffs, but you've only gone and made it harder for yourself to qualify next time round by moving up a division.

But other than that, it looks alright so far. The games over the weekend have definitely had more edge to them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here