Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto Di Matteo

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest, I think he bought well this Summer.

Results thus far would suggest that's not the case, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they are in or around the top 6 by the end of the season.

I agree with you, except to say I don't think they will be near the top six this season but do feel that promotion for them was always going to be a two season job. Their problems were too deep just to be able to chuck money at the first team and expect to challenge for the top two.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
There's a good football club in there somewhere, somebody should be able to do a great job. Dr Tony being the unknown quantity of course. Bruce seems most likely.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There's a difference between buying for the sake of it, or in McCormack's case, spending a lot of money because others have, (pure football logic pure :facepalm: ) and having a specific hole in the squad and not filing it.

I can only think of one poster desperate to fill the gap with a very expensive signing (that doesn't fit the specific need) and I'm sure all us users of NSC would like to think he's not representative of this fine board.

I still find it baffling, and mildly depressing if I'm honest, that two clubs in as many years have spent a combined £23m on Ross McCormack.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Let us hope they don't come knocking at our door for Chris.

I wonder if he would be tempted ?

They can knock and I imagine Tony will tell them where to go, I also doubt CH would be interested. Aston Villa are in turmoil, Chris has a very secure job here and unless we suffer an almighty run of crap results knows he's got a job for at least a couple of more seasons. Why would he give that up to take a job where he could be sacked by Christmas if things don't improve pretty much immediately.

Villa are in serious danger of slipping into League 1, I don't think a lot of their players have the heart required to change things up, it isn't going to be an overnight job to change them for the better and I think the new owners are expecting a quick fix.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Villa are in serious danger of slipping into League 1, I don't think a lot of their players have the heart required to change things up, it isn't going to be an overnight job to change them for the better and I think the new owners are expecting a quick fix.

I think ALL managers should be given at least six months before the S word is raised. But a club with a long-term malaise and deep-seated problems, like Villa, should really be giving its managers at least 18 months to turn things round - it's not going to happen in a few months.

What amazes me is that these 'businessmen' are meant to be great at running business. But a company in, say, chemicals or food that's going through a rocky period wouldn't expect a few CEO to fix things in a few weeks. Why is football so different?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Absolutely ridiculous to sack a Manager after 11 League games. That's no time at all to implement all the changes that were needed at that club

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Steve Bruce all day long

Nether Steve Bruce or Chris can really go to Villa, having managed Birmingham. Look what happened to Alex Mc Leish when he crossed over. Your on a hiding to nothing before you start with the fans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No real surprise, its a results game from the off now and there is no time for bedding in

But business is a results game - they live or die by their stock price - but no CEO would get just three months to turn around a company in long-term decline

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Typical big club with football snobbery aspirations. Been in the Premier League too long, came down, thought it would be a piece of piss, appointed a named manager rather than someone who has been there and done it and they've got caught with their trousers down as a result.

Should have stuck with him, would have come good in the end I suspect, but you cant expect an overnight fix to a long term problem like Villa.

I thought the writing was on the wall when they signed Elphick. Other than the emotional connection would we have signed him? No, Duffy is way better.

To be fair, Di Matteo has been there and done it at this level. So has Steve Clarke. Both at WBA I believe.

Too many flashy signings during the summer, with not enough quality to begin with.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here