Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim krul

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thought it was significant Krul started last night and not Mäenpää whom may will think that's it for his Albion career.

Yup. Mäenpää has been a fine servant for us, and always turned in solid performances, but not much has gone his way. He deserves to at least have the chance to play, whether as first-choice or back-up, and it doesn't appear as though we'll be able to offer him that.

Surely Newcastle wouldn't allow him to play against us. I'm sure the timing is purely coincidental and that there is a gentlemans agreement that he won't play against them. Newcastle gain absolutely nothing in allowing the deal to be made permanent.

Other than not having to pay any of his wages, insurance, pension contributions etc etc

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Not really. Failed my height test straight away for a keeper. Made howlers in the Amex friendly and then the next two league games thereafter . Weak handling,doesn't command area. Looks weak on crosses. Really doesn't inspire me. If that seems stupid to you i'm not really bothered.

:lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does anyone else find this a bit odd? He was here for a year anyway and is now only on a one year deal. This meant we had used our 2nd loan slot on deadline day and couldn't use it for a striker. I recognise this opens up a slot for a Jan loan signing, but why didn't we do this and pay a fee?

It's a one year loan converted to a one year deal. He's also available on a free next summer, so I fully expect him to be offered another contract. He and Chris have worked together before so know what to expect from each other.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When he signed, Newcastle fans were worried that he'd keep us up at their expense.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
And you have come to this judgement after what....... 5 competitive games ??

He came to the conclusion after about 5 mins and can't wait for a thread to come up so he can tell us all over again. And as he has done well in the last couple of matches and is improving and settling in, he has been forced to latch on to yet another thread to make his point.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm really pleased we have him permanently, I think it's a cracking signing but as others have mentioned, find the timing really odd for a number of reasons. Why have Newcastle agreed to it now?

Especially as it now means he can play for us against them on Sunday whereas he couldn't if on loan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does that mean we can now loan in a striker? :jester:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I assume that now it isn't a loan he can actually play against Newcastle (if selected). Interesting timing that,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know I'm missing something obvious – but how can he sign a permanent deal when it's outside the transfer window? Surely loads of clubs who failed at the last minute to get players in at the end of the window could do the same and sign them on loan and then permanently?

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
CH views this Sunday's game as a must win and wants to put out his strongest 11. The only way we could play Krul (i believe) is if he signed a permanent deal. Krul must be in the reckoning for Sunday, otherwise this doesn't make sense.

Did we pay a fee?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know I'm missing something obvious – but how can he sign a permanent deal when it's outside the transfer window? Surely loads of clubs who failed at the last minute to get players in at the end of the window could do the same and sign them on loan and then permanently?

You are. It is only possible because we held his registration (on loan) at the time the window closed.

Clubs signing a player on loan right at the end of a window, because the terms couldn't all be thrashed out in time, then firming it up later, isn't that uncommon.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
You are. It is only possible because we held his registration (on loan) at the time the window closed.

Clubs signing a player on loan right at the end of a window, because the terms couldn't all be thrashed out in time, then firming it up later, isn't that uncommon.

Thanks HK, that answered my impending question - I thought it may have been something to do with the loan agreement !

Personally I am delighted that he is now signed, albeit on a one year contract which presumably couldn't have been extended now but which hopefully will be extended come season's end.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't think I could ever get bored of the 'Don't be Krul' gag favoured by some discerning types on here. It's like Brewdog's Electric India 5.2% abv Saison - a timeless classic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here