Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Nowhere near as hard as some people say. In fact I really enjoyed it. It's three laps. On the first lap you climb a steep but short grassy hill right at the start. There is then a significant downhill before another climb, which you do on all three laps. Once that part of the lap is done, the rest is on paths and relatively flat. I was 18 seconds slower at Peacehaven the week after I saw you at Hove Park to give you an idea.
Just seen your results. Should have said you were doing PP last week!

Will have to give Peacehaven a go, sounds decent.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
It was a late call but, now I've finally done Preston Park, in my opinion it is significantly easier than Hove Park. Therefore I will be returning soon and will let you know!
I'm not convinced but i think it all depends on not so much how good you are UP the hill, but how much speed you can get up going down it. I find the Hove Park hill worse but the course slightly easier. Might kist be because I've done PP to death.

It's a damn site easier than Haywards Heath though, you need to try it for a calf work out!!

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
The PP hill may be steep but it's short and all over in 20 seconds. I'd rather do that than five minutes of gradual climbing along the south/east sides of HP. I'll be back at PP in August as I feel it is PB territory.
Hove Prom for me Clive. 3 hills and 3 turns at PP plus a more conjested start mean it can be hit and miss. In theory Worthing should be quickest as it's 1 turn but it didn't really do it for me for some reason.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Having done Worthing 25ish times, the problem is always the wind. It seems to be windy 80% of the time and you've got a 2.5k stretch into it that wastes vital seconds. So a lot of the time your chance of a PB is gone before you even start. I agree Hove Prom is the ultimate one as there are more turns so only tiny stretches into any wind, plus far fewer runners ensuring a seamless start. That's the one we should meet up for next and throw everything at a PB attempt!
Sounds like a plan to me [emoji125]*♂️

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having done Worthing 25ish times, the problem is always the wind. It seems to be windy 80% of the time and you've got a 2.5k stretch into it that wastes vital seconds. So a lot of the time your chance of a PB is gone before you even start. I agree Hove Prom is the ultimate one as there are more turns so only tiny stretches into any wind, plus far fewer runners ensuring a seamless start. That's the one we should meet up for next and throw everything at a PB attempt!

Sounds like a plan to me [emoji125]*♂️

I'll be up for that. How about August 12th? Man City day so most of us are around? My younger brother (52) is here for a 2 week holiday from his Californian exile. I was planning to try and beat him for the first time ever, he's been injured.
Everyone can do a 3/4 week training plan to the goal race against our SB's?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll be up for that. How about August 12th? Man City day so most of us are around? My younger brother (52) is here for a 2 week holiday from his Californian exile. I was planning to try and beat him for the first time ever, he's been injured.

There's a younger, quicker you? Scary.

I'd be up for Hove Prom on 12 Aug. I can happily target a SB too since my 5k season's best is currently terrible. No chance of a PB though, got that after a year of marathon training. Next PB attempt is logically end of April 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

That should be fine for me too. My boy is due to move up a group for his football which means a later start. I should be able to cycle there and back in good time.

Sod's law it's going to be windy this day, but it's definitely a PB course if calm. Noticed their numbers have increased steadily since the start and they aren't too far behind the two more established courses in PP & HP.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There's a younger, quicker you? Scary.

I'd be up for Hove Prom on 12 Aug. I can happily target a SB too since my 5k season's best is currently terrible. No chance of a PB though, got that after a year of marathon training. Next PB attempt is logically end of April 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good SB's here we come. I'm nailed on if weather right and Achilles remains stable, as previous SB at Hove Park 2 weeks ago and I've already improved. Will be targeting a mid table climb up the league brushing aside [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and inching in front of [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] 21:20. They'll need to be there to avert the threat.

Expect my brother to turn up day before from an LA flight without any training for 6 months, still injured, go on the p**s and thrash me by using Californian positive thoughts.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good SB's here we come. I'm nailed on if weather right and Achilles remains stable, as previous SB at Hove Park 2 weeks ago and I've already improved. Will be targeting a mid table climb up the league brushing aside [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and inching in front of [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] 21:20. They'll need to be there to avert the threat.

Expect my brother to turn up day before from an LA flight without any training for 6 months, still injured, go on the p**s and thrash me by using Californian positive thoughts.

I need some serious convincing to go back to Hove Prom parkrun anytime soon, I'm afraid. To be competitive, anyway. Did it once and hated it. Although I vowed never to do it again, I MIGHT be up for it, we'll see.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I need some serious convincing to go back to Hove Prom parkrun anytime soon, I'm afraid. To be competitive, anyway. Did it once and hated it. Although I vowed never to do it again, I MIGHT be up for it, we'll see.

I remember the first time I ran Hove Prom, I didn't like the course, seemed to go on for ages and was boring. The subsequent attempts I actually started to enjoy. I think you just need to resign yourself to the fact it's not as picturesque as Hove Park but for achieving times, it's definitely the best on a calm day although I'd like to give Worthing a go in good conditions as only one turn vs Hove Proms 4 (I think).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I remember the first time I ran Hove Prom, I didn't like the course, seemed to go on for ages and was boring. The subsequent attempts I actually started to enjoy. I think you just need to resign yourself to the fact it's not as picturesque as Hove Park but for achieving times, it's definitely the best on a calm day although I'd like to give Worthing a go in good conditions as only one turn vs Hove Proms 4 (I think).

It's not even the surroundings – I normally love a bit of the seafront, but not at full pelt. Maybe that's one of the problems. It's also the number of turns you have to make – as you say, Worthing has one, which is fine with me, a nice easy out and back. With Hove Prom, it feels like it's been sandwiched in to a space that wasn't ever set out for a parkrun track. The same could be said for the planned Lancing event, but we'll see...

So yeah, I'll probably come down to the prom and see how I feel. I'm not sure an SB will be set though – too out of shape for all that :lol: I can manage the gentle plod of Lunar-Tic, but not a speedy 5/10k. Although I AM considering the Littlehampton 10k for Chestnut Tree House in September –*I'm such a hypocrite!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm down to try out Hastings (for the first time) on the 11th, injuries permitting. I'm a fan of Hove Prom though.

You should win starting 24 hours before everyone else, good tactic. Fastest course I've done. One turn, smooth surface, not too busy but needs a still wind, or slight easterly as the route out goes under the prom for a stretch and then you can pick up the wind on the prom on the way home. You might get [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] to pace you, if he hasn't had a night shift at the hospital.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You should win starting 24 hours before everyone else, good tactic. Fastest course I've done. One turn, smooth surface, not too busy but needs a still wind, or slight easterly as the route out goes under the prom for a stretch and then you can pick up the wind on the prom on the way home. You might get [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] to pace you, if he hasn't had a night shift at the hospital.

Oops - yes staying overnight on 11th when there's actually a lovely 10K in Rye that very evening. However, a 10K followed by a 5k the next morning might be a bit ambitious for an old geezer with dodgy Achilles and hamstrings. The bad news for me is that there's a VM60-64 who clocks under 20 minutes in Hastings! But the attraction is that it does look like a fast course as you say.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's not even the surroundings – I normally love a bit of the seafront, but not at full pelt. Maybe that's one of the problems. It's also the number of turns you have to make – as you say, Worthing has one, which is fine with me, a nice easy out and back. With Hove Prom, it feels like it's been sandwiched in to a space that wasn't ever set out for a parkrun track. The same could be said for the planned Lancing event, but we'll see...

So yeah, I'll probably come down to the prom and see how I feel. I'm not sure an SB will be set though – too out of shape for all that :lol: I can manage the gentle plod of Lunar-Tic, but not a speedy 5/10k. Although I AM considering the Littlehampton 10k for Chestnut Tree House in September –*I'm such a hypocrite!

Odd. I like Hove Prom (as long as it's calm). The turns make it easy to break the race into sections......short, long, long, long, short......problem I have is starting too fast. Love that there is loads of space, and you shout at pals ahead of/behind you too. I'll try to be there on 12th.

Will hopefully see you Sat night anyway. I'm currently on day 8 of an all-inclusive holiday, and haven't run more than 12 miles since May, so I'll be the one struggling. At least no one can see you in the dark [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Odd. I like Hove Prom (as long as it's calm). The turns make it easy to break the race into sections......short, long, long, long, short......problem I have is starting too fast. Love that there is loads of space, and you shout at pals ahead of/behind you too. I'll try to be there on 12th.

Will hopefully see you Sat night anyway. I'm currently on day 8 of an all-inclusive holiday, and haven't run more than 12 miles since May, so I'll be the one struggling. At least no one can see you in the dark [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I reckon you'll be fine – I had a very similar lead up to SDW Marathon and it went OK. Looking forward to Saturday night – I might have a little trundle up the course on Thursday, largely because I've not run much either in the past couple of weeks and I'm itching to get back out there.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and see you there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here