Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing at other fans

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So apparently all this #together stuff only happens when we're not losing. Maybe Tom and the Marketing team could come up with the alternative hashtag #ABitAnnoyedWithEachOther for the next time it looks like we have six or seven injuries before the game, moving up to #ABitAngry when we play the reserves in the Hull game and ending with #DoYouKnowThatBlokePissesMeRightOff in time for Boro away.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But did he stay until the end and clap the players? This is the burning question. #happyclappygate

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
@%1;
Sorry guys but you really cannot have it all ways. There are many other places to sit in the ground, including the family area in the east if you want to ensure a lack of profanity, but people with kids choose to sit in the 'home end'. This is the so called singing end, historically where the more boisterous elements of our support tend to congregate. People need to take responsibility for THEIR choice of ticket location, and not try to impose their behavioural expectations upon others who have paid far more for their ticket than the parents of the kids have paid for their children's tickets.

Spot on!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I did have a giggle at QPR

QPR for reasons only known to themselves had placed on the bog wall a promotion type thing in removable/adjustable letters. Some charlie had rearranged the sentence to form various rude words including CANT (but not with an A)

Little jonny approx 5 years old whilst washing his hands noticed this,his jaw dropped,then he covered his mouth with his hands and he turned anxiously to his dad.

Im fairly convinced he meant to shout in alarm "daddy daddy someone has drawn the C word on the wall" but what actually came out very loudly was "daddy daddy someone has drawn the CANT word on the wall"

His dads face was a picture as was little jonnys as he realised exactly what he had said.

clever.jpg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst I agree it is unacceptable to abuse own fans, the times I have been near this individual (at away games), and he has just been trying to create an atmosphere. Yes, he has shouted instructions but he didn't use expletives, perhaps he was frustrated at the performance or was upset at his Secret Santa gift!! [emoji1]

I believe he attends most games home and away, and in the past has responded on NSC (I think).

In terms of children being subjected to bad language, as a parent if you feel that strongly, surely you would sit away from the singing section?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Whilst I agree it is unacceptable to abuse own fans, the times I have been near this individual (at away games), and he has just been trying to create an atmosphere. Yes, he has shouted instructions but he didn't use expletives, perhaps he was frustrated at the performance or was upset at his Secret Santa gift!! [emoji1]

I believe he attends most games home and away, and in the past has responded on NSC (I think).

In terms of children being subjected to bad language, as a parent if you feel that strongly, surely you would sit away from the singing section?

The issue of swearing has been debated many times on here before. Of course you can argue that no one should be subjected to bad language from nearby fans and you would in a sense be right. That having been said, everyone knows that football is a passionate game attended by all sections of society, and the language is very likely to be worse in one area of the ground. To minimise exposure to swearing, one's course of action, surely, is obvious -go to the family section. In previous replies, most parents in the North Stand have said that they tell the kids that they are likely to hear language that " we don't use at home", regarding the whole matter as a lesson in life, and say that this seems to work well, however unsatisfactory this may seem for the purists.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
[/B]

The issue of swearing has been debated many times on here before. Of course you can argue that no one should be subjected to bad language from nearby fans and you would in a sense be right. That having been said, everyone knows that football is a passionate game attended by all sections of society, and the language is very likely to be worse in one area of the ground. To minimise exposure to swearing, one's course of action, surely, is obvious -go to the family section. In previous replies, most parents in the North Stand have said that they tell the kids that they are likely to hear language that " we don't use at home", regarding the whole matter as a lesson in life, and say that this seems to work well, however unsatisfactory this may seem for the purists.

I do agree, see my last para., and particularly like the 'we don't use at home' line.

You could also argue it depends the context behind how he swore.

'Sing you b*******, is a lot different to c'mon let's get behind our f****** team.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think there are two different points being argued here. If you don't like swearing then don't sit in the North, it's very simple, you just chose from 90% of the other seats in the ground. If someone in the East stand is being sweary and abusive, then that is out of order.

'The Judge' swearing and having a go at other fans for not joining in with his bullshit is totally different altogether. For someone who does a lot to create the atmosphere in the North, he regularly lets himself down by being a complete and utter prick. I've seen him abuse other fans numerous times for not singing, one day he'll do it to the wrong person and will regret it.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think there are two different points being argued here. If you don't like swearing then don't sit in the North, it's very simple, you just chose from 90% of the other seats in the ground. If someone in the East stand is being sweary and abusive, then that is out of order.

'The Judge' swearing and having a go at other fans for not joining in with his bullshit is totally different altogether. For someone who does a lot to create the atmosphere in the North, he regularly lets himself down by being a complete and utter prick. I've seen him abuse other fans numerous times for not singing, one day he'll do it to the wrong person and will regret it.

That sums it all up perfectly. This judge character though I'm sure his intentions are good seems to be going about creating an atmosphere in the wrong way!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This. Don't think he has posted on here much at all (seem to recall something maybe a year or so ago) but he pops on to one or two of the facebook 'banter' groups now and again.

gazfoster

PBC
Aug 11, 2013
Southwick
He only shows up 3 games a season in the middle of the stand. Children don't deserve to be called "****ing pricks". If you can't see that you're an idiot

Three games are you really sure....his a season ticket holder and we've moved from under the POLICE BOX to the singing section apparently.... But no one sings bizarre that....

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I do agree, see my last para., and particularly like the 'we don't use at home' line.

You could also argue it depends the context behind how he swore.

'Sing you b*******, is a lot different to c'mon let's get behind our f****** team.

Many thanks. Context is also an important consideration, if you take the "common sense" line, as opposed to that of the purist. I admit that I do use the odd anglo-saxon profanity, but inevitably at periods of high drama, when there is a huge roar anyway and probably only those very few in the immediate vicinity would hear. I would not get up and come out with a huge tirade of the worst language in front of hundreds of other folk, which even in East Upper you do hear on occasion. The purist would of course say that what goes for those hundreds, goes for those right next to me, I suppose, and I haven't got an answer to that!! Perhaps is it just one of life's imperfections.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's odd getting worked up about fans not singing, irrespective of what 'section' they are in.

We make noise when things are going very well.
We make noise when the away fans shame us into it.
We make loads of noise on our travels.

What we don't do is sing for 90 minutes in support of the team, irrespective of what's going on.

Never have done - never will do.

Now all the rosy speccers can pop up and say what a cauldron of noise the Goldstone was.
I'll save you the trouble - It wasn't.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There are many ways to support the team, and signing is not compulsory, despite whatever others may think. In fact being press ganged into doing something is probably only going to have the opposite effect.

I fully agree with Stat Brother (see above) although i would add that the volume increases and more join in, if an important game towards the end of the season, or we have a ref who is the worst we have seen in about 5 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here