Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pickup near bridge car park?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Last year, a couple of times, my wife picked me up after the match in the Lucraft Road area just beyond the bridge. Both games had about 26000 or so fans there and there wasn't too much trouble getting away quickly.

Is anyone doing this ATM, is it still feasible or are the extra 4000 in the crowd making it difficult?

Cheers

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Last year, a couple of times, my wife picked me up after the match in the Lucraft Road area just beyond the bridge. Both games had about 26000 or so fans there and there wasn't too much trouble getting away quickly.

Is anyone doing this ATM, is it still feasible or are the extra 4000 in the crowd making it difficult?

Cheers

I think most people pick up from the Keep now, its the other side of the tunnel so a little easier to get away. The barriers are always down and there is always a queue of cars collecting people.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think most people pick up from the Keep now, its the other side of the tunnel so a little easier to get away. The barriers are always down and there is always a queue of cars collecting people.
Is that the reason the bridge queue doesn't move for so long?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

It probably contributes along with the number of people trying to get under the bridge at the same time and the traffic lights.

In theory the people coming under the tunnel should give way to those coming out of the Keep, not sure how it works in practice.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It probably contributes along with the number of people trying to get under the bridge at the same time and the traffic lights.

In theory the people coming under the tunnel should give way to those coming out of the Keep, not sure how it works in practice.
Thanks. I wonder then if that is why the bridge is taking significantly longer to exit from this year. [emoji106]

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Cheers

It's fine to pick up from Sussex Uni sport centre car park after a match and a much shorter walk than the Bridge car park. Go over the bridge over the station and under the A27 and the car park is at the top of the ramp there. Just turn left out of the car park and head by the entrance Stanmer Park to get out as there are usually queues at the other exit onto the A27.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 13.50.34.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always seem to be a few wise guys who park on the strip of grass directly across the road from the disabled bays at the front of the Bridge Car Park. Seeing as how they're parking on a strip of usually muddy grass, would seem to be an ideal place to pick up unofficially. Or indeed to park for free.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's fine to pick up from Sussex Uni sport centre car park after a match and a much shorter walk than the Bridge car park. Go over the bridge over the station and under the A27 and the car park is at the top of the ramp there. Just turn left out of the car park and head by the entrance Stanmer Park to get out as there are usually queues at the other exit onto the A27.

View attachment 95965
Thanks, that sounds good! Is there room for waiting?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Always seem to be a few wise guys who park on the strip of grass directly across the road from the disabled bays at the front of the Bridge Car Park. Seeing as how they're parking on a strip of usually muddy grass, would seem to be an ideal place to pick up unofficially. Or indeed to park for free.
The stewards don't allow access to that part of the car park unless one is disabled. I think I'll try the uni as suggested by [MENTION=34787]BNthree[/MENTION].

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The stewards don't allow access to that part of the car park unless one is disabled.

So some people prefer to park on a muddy strip of grass directly across the road from the fully tarmac'ed designated disabled bays? And those same people prefer not to display blue badges? Why, one would almost suspect they were chancers who have done their homework and have sussed out that stewards have no jurisdiction over them parking there.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Thanks, that sounds good! Is there room for waiting?

Nearly always room for waiting there. It is what is referred to as Car Park 5 in the pre-match briefs:

Car park 5 at the University of Sussex, located by the Sports Hall, is being utilised to enable fans to be dropped off and picked up before and after the match.

This drop-off/pick-up point is a short walk through the underpass to the Amex Stadium. There are also free shuttle buses in operation.

Only seen the shuttle bus for those less able to walk that goes from the Amex coach park but it's a short and easy walk from the stadium.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So some people prefer to park on a muddy strip of grass directly across the road from the fully tarmac'ed designated disabled bays? And those same people prefer not to display blue badges? Why, one would almost suspect they were chancers who have done their homework and have sussed out that stewards have no jurisdiction over them parking there.

Also the busstop by the Keep is usually full of cars pulled up to pick people up as the Police only stop people pulling up by Falmer station but not down there.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

We were told last year that it doesn't move because the stewards aren't allowed to let cars go until all the people had crossed the road (Health and Safety). If true, it's utterly ludicrous, although we don't park there anymore so things may have changed.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We were told last year that it doesn't move because the stewards aren't allowed to let cars go until all the people had crossed the road (Health and Safety). If true, it's utterly ludicrous, although we don't park there anymore so things may have changed.

Building a footbridge over the tracks there can't be too costly in the grand scheme of things surely?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Mebbe that's the stewards parking there so that they don't take up any of the Bridge Car park spaces?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Speaking of muddy grass, there are loads of parking tickets handed out every single game to people parking on the grass on both sides of Falmer Road, about half way up to Woodingdean......if you're behind the double yellows, even if fully off the road, they will nab you for £70. See it every week and have managed to warn a few.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Seems as long this year as last....basically crap

My experience has been a lot worse this year. For a weekend match, even sometimes waiting at the amex for an hour has not resulted in a quick getaway. Partly I'm sure, down to the success we've had and extra fans.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here