Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Ban romantic novel's

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Agree. Have to wonder what was going through the OP's mind when he decided an apostrophe was needed. Maybe he thinks that all words ending in the letter S deserve an apostrophe before the S?? It's just not logical and makes no sense. Maybe he skipped apostrophe lessons at school?

Thi’s.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Agree. Have to wonder what was going through the OP's mind when he decided an apostrophe was needed. Maybe he thinks that all words ending in the letter S deserve an apostrophe before the S?? It's just not logical and makes no sense. Maybe he skipped apostrophe lessons at school?
Predictive txt and just getting out of bed may have had something t'do with it

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I can't watch the clip as I'm at work - what's the issue with romantic novels?
They objectify and offend women [emoji849]

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
If snowflakes are offended by romantic novels then I have some advice for them.

Don't buy them, stop being offended and just get over it.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
They objectify and offend women [emoji849]

Aren't most romantic novels written by women though? I'd have thought the women in the books would be portrayed sympathetically because of this? I've never read one myself so I'm just guessing.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
What constitutes a romantic novel, anyway? Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Pride and Prejudice all books written by women, with strong feminist heroines, at a time when society was as mysoginistic as it could be, but wonderfully romantic novels. Should we ban them?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It'll be crime novels next, encouraging a life of crime to those that read them

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Nowt better than a nice romantic novel.

tw1.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given that Mein Kampf is freely available there is no need to ban anything unless it is libellous or reveals state secrets.

What next a national burning of romantic books that are already in circulation

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What constitutes a romantic novel, anyway? Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Pride and Prejudice all books written by women, with strong feminist heroines, at a time when society was as mysoginistic as it could be, but wonderfully romantic novels. Should we ban them?

In what possible sense do these books have strong feminist heroines? All three books are based on the premise that a woman's only aim in life is make a favourable marriage. I'm not sure that they're strong heroines either - it's a fair enough description of Jane but Elizabeth and Cathy/Catherine are scarcely storming the barricades for women's rights.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In what possible sense do these books have strong feminist heroines? All three books are based on the premise that a woman's only aim in life is make a favourable marriage. I'm not sure that they're strong heroines either - it's a fair enough description of Jane but Elizabeth and Cathy/Catherine are scarcely storming the barricades for women's rights.

Indeed. He should have mentioned The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte) which IS considered to have a feminist heroine.

PS - Good luck in the REMF quiz! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here