Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Seriously, all I'd say is that if you genuinely believe that Saoirse Ronan is a great actress, then go see the film. You won't even think that you're watching an actress, you'll be convinced you're watching a stroppy yet vulnerable 17 year old schoolkid. It's an amazing performance.

I went to see Ladybird at the Duke of Yorks yesterday and was very surprised how good it was, much better than I expected. I have never heard of Greta Gerwig or any of the films she's been in.
It did bring back memories of teenage misery and the realization that parents are people in their own right with feelings and weaknesses.I'm not a mother so have no experience of being the parent of a teenager, but walking home I did wonder about my eleven year old niece .... and the road ahead :mad:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What with the Official Trailer that gives away the entire plot, and [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]'s SIXTEEN minute spoiler that absolutely destroys what may or may not be any remaining magic, think I'll give this ridiculously over-hyped FishMan movie a wide swerve :wave:

Bring back [MENTION=282]Meade's Ball[/MENTION] for the sanest slant on these things.

Fair enough, the clip was always going to give spoilers to be fair. My enthusiasm got the better of me. I think I will give this thread a miss and keep my thoughts to myself from now

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair enough, the clip was always going to give spoilers to be fair. My enthusiasm got the better of me. I think I will give this thread a miss and keep my thoughts to myself from now

It would be a real shame if you decided to opt out of this thread Uncle. Don't always agree with your take on some movies (and doubtless vice versa) but I always enjoy reading them. Oh, get yourself down and watch Lady Bird :wink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just got back from an early evening screening of The Shape of Water, well its ok, not sensational but certainly interesting if you ignore the plot oversights. Mrs V felt it was lovely until I mentioned there being plot oversights and she replied " What like, other than a girl falls in love with a Fish ?".... has some scary moments, some painful moments and some good laughs too. 8 out of 10.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Just got back from an early evening screening of The Shape of Water, well its ok, not sensational but certainly interesting if you ignore the plot oversights. Mrs V felt it was lovely until I mentioned there being plot oversights and she replied " What like, other than a girl falls in love with a Fish ?".... has some scary moments, some painful moments and some good laughs too. 8 out of 10.
I have seen it described as “Grinding Nemo” , which amused me.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just got back from seeing Red Sparrow, JLaw's latest. A bit disappointed with it - Lawrence was good, even though her Russian accent was a bit iffy. I found it a fairly dense storyline in terms of loyalties/allegiances...slightly confused me in places. Maybe that was just me though!

A fair amount of violence in it, but in terms of torture rather than grand action sequences - there were a few squeamish people in the screening I was in, going by the reaction to a couple of the scenes.

Overall, if pushed I'd stretch to 3/5.

Apparently taken from a trilogy of books, so could be further instalments to come...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Yes, i know, i like them there foreign movies with their fancydan subtitles and them being different. Went to see A Fantastic Woman tonight, and it was an excellent little film. Whilst there were little elements of mystery, and an opening of slightly corny 80s-feel romance, it's emotionally rich throughout, and the constant shadow of social and sexual assessment as our transgender lead simply wants to grieve. As a viewer i felt we were both her, the awful victim of incessant judgement by anyone spending more than a moment meeting her, and those wanting to label as the camera endlessly rests toward her and we're there examining her shape and form, as if a creature under observation, bamboozling us slightly. I went into the film expecting to go a little differently, and i am glad it didn't, as it was in modern Santiago in which acceptance was partial, but in existence, rather than set in a more archaic society as i supposed it to be. The music reappearing in and out of the film gave it an air of suspense, and i really liked it. The acting was great, and Marina was a heroine to admire, dealing with a violence rarely physical and mostly with good grace.
Not been able to deal with subtitles much since Bubba Meade appeared, making the sheer exhaustion of doing so too much, but i am glad i went along tonight.
Tomorrow night is Joaquin Phoenix with a hammer. :)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

In fairness, pretty much every fictional film I’ve ever seen has had plot holes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just got back from seeing Red Sparrow, JLaw's latest. A bit disappointed with it - Lawrence was good, even though her Russian accent was a bit iffy. I found it a fairly dense storyline in terms of loyalties/allegiances...slightly confused me in places. Maybe that was just me though!

A fair amount of violence in it, but in terms of torture rather than grand action sequences - there were a few squeamish people in the screening I was in, going by the reaction to a couple of the scenes.

Overall, if pushed I'd stretch to 3/5.

Apparently taken from a trilogy of books, so could be further instalments to come...
Thanks for the warning re. the violence... I'm not good with that sort of thing.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
What does it take for a film to be an 18 these days? You'd think killing a number of people with a hammer, some other deathly moments, and a ream of horrid paedophiles would be enough to make this not suitable for a 15 year old. You Were Never Really Here has an array of adult themes, and none of them of the jolly variety - apart from caring for one's parent, I suppose. As a film it was sonically searing and deliberately jumbled, to play on the psychological chaos in the tortured Joaquin Phoenix. I loved some of the Lalo Schifrin-esque funk breaks near the start, and it seems Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is spending some effective time creating different soundscapes in the film world at present. The film itself seemed a lot like Taxi Driver, with elements of Blue Ruin and Point Blank to it. Not a bad combo to emulate, but it didn't feel entirely new. It was good, certainly, and horribly dark. 90 minutes of it. And I was glad to be let go by the end.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was not particularly enamoured with You Were Never Really Here. Meade's Ball brings up Blue Ruin, which is, imo, so much better. YWNRH felt like an average 'loner vigilante rescues child, learns to love life in the process' story, with added non-sensical flashbacks to give a veneer of complex character/'this isn't senseless violences, it's art!!'

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Did a bit of a double bill yesterday - albeit first film, at Crawley Cineworld, and the second at Brighton's one.

First up was Game Night, which was surprisingly funnier than I expected and well paced. An entertaining watch, some bits were very obvious but a decent enough ensemble cast.

Later, Gringo, which was good, but felt a little overlong. The subplot involving Amanda Siegfried and her British boyfriend seemed a little superfluous, and could have trimmed the running time a little.

You Were Never Really Here next up I think...although my boys are very keen to see the Tomb Raider reboot. Haven't heard brilliant things about it, heard it is a bit disappointing.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
You Were Never Really Here today - good stuff, dark, slightly convoluted (in a good way - a directoral decision) and quite brutal in places, although a bit like Psycho, you think you see more than there really is. Joaquin Phoenix is great in it. Amusingly enough, looked like someone had used the film as a very early date pick, and it seemed to dampen any ardour... haha! A separate couple walked out two thirds the way through. Guess it wasn't their cup of tea. Shortest film I can remember seeing for a while - 90 mins including titles.

Seeing Unsane on Friday - shot with three iPhones so should be interesting to see how well that works.

On a flight early next month and have already lined up I, Tonya and The Florida Project to watch (they're already advertising what films they are showing on board). Missed the latter when it was on, as didn't seem to be in many cinemas. Heard good things about it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to the cineworld unlimited screening of Ready Player One last night. Eh. I enjoyed watching it but it didn't feel like, come the end of the year, I would remember having watched it. I wouldn't tell someone not to see it if they're planning to, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to watch it if they weren't.

The thing I was looking forward to was the pop culture references, but it wasn't as big a part of the film as I was expecting. The 'twists' or revelations were massively predictable, and there were moments of unnecessary exposition, almost comical levels of it, like they were maybe spoofing 80s movies but there was nothing else to indicate it was doing that. I suppose there may also be an element that it feels like a story from a time when the internet was new and people had hopeful ideals of the potential of internet bringing people together in a eutopian existence, but we're watching it in a time when the internet is full of trolls and arguments full of hate and anger and that dissonance is hard to shift.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Another day, another film... Unsane. Probably best known for being shot on iPhones, and stars Claire Foy as someone who seeks a little bit of counselling due to a episode of stalking. She moves cities, yet she sees the stalker again...the counselling session doesn't go quite to plan, and she finds herself having "voluntarily" committed to a facility.

Really enjoyed this film - initially you think about the filming technique, but this fairly quickly passes, even though the film is presented in 4:3. The use of the iPhone gives an interesting look, claustraphobic or unsettling at times, and entirely suits the mental state of Foy's character. Without giving anything away, there is a plot hole which struck me probably around 2/3 the way through but this didn't detract from things.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
In the very unlikely event that anyone finds themselves at a loose end in Toronto this weekend...
My feature documentary "Something Left Behind" is screening at the Carlton Cinema on Saturday.

SLB_Toronto.jpeg

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
What does it take for a film to be an 18 these days? You'd think killing a number of people with a hammer, some other deathly moments, and a ream of horrid paedophiles would be enough to make this not suitable for a 15 year old.

Exactly - I am squeamish (and probably a delicate soul) and was warned off of this film by a friend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here