Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Night driving blindness

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
I also find I get almost blinded from either oncoming or behind from cars with one headlight out which seems to double the intensity of the other one.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think it's more likely the xenon headlights which are a brighter white light. And, as others have said, the 4x4's are worse as the height it worse.

We have a mixture of ignorant 4x4 drivers who have all lights on, Ignorant BMW drivers who have all lights on and the multiple older cards with one headlight looking like a faint glow and all the power going to the other one . I drive virtually all the time with the anti dazzle mirror flipped.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

larus

We have a mixture of ignorant 4x4 drivers who have all lights on, Ignorant BMW drivers who have all lights on and the multiple older cards with one headlight looking like a faint glow and all the power going to the other one . I drive virtually all the time with the anti dazzle mirror flipped.

I agree there's a range of issues (including idiots with fog lights on all of the time). I drive over Ditchling Beacon most days for work and this is a pain- It's narrow lanes (compared to a dual carriageway) and at this time of the year it's not enjoyable.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
You can buy all sorts of bulbs online. Loads of them are marked "illegal for road use, trail use only" etc and yet loads of people buy them and review them as they're marked 150% brighter etc. This is Amazon and all sorts of main sites. Once fitted, this rule is ignored all the time and police never/rarely stop illegally bright bulbs. They should be sold on separate sites.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
My misses got her drivers side headlight put in by halfords last month. I got in the next evening, switched the lights on - the light they had put in was facing up and to the right, so directly into oncoming traffic. Twunts.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the last couple of years, I find the glare in the dark of oncoming traffic on twisting country A and B roads unpleasant. I don't think the other drivers have done anything wrong, their lights are on dim and set correctly. From talking to other drivers post mid-40's age group, many feel the same. Just getting older, the eyes aren't so amazing!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The headlights on my Mercedes Benz are very bright. They're branded as an "LED Intelligent Light System"

Modern LED technology and sophisticated light functions for best possible visibility in any situation: on country roads and motorways, when turning off, as well as in bends and in fog, the LED Intelligent Light System automatically adjusts to the prevailing conditions. LED technology generates a light colour which is similar to daylight and thus more pleasant on the driver's eyes. Lower energy consumption and the extremely long life of the bulbs are further advantages of this technology.

Clever stuff. http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/led_intelligent_light_system/detail.html

How does that compare to the lights on your Range Rover?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I used to think people who drive round with only one headlight were dicks, especially as they could be mistaken for a motorcycle and you not realise how wide they are, but actually they are being really considerate and not dazzling oncoming cars.

Thanks very much .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I also find I get almost blinded from either oncoming or behind from cars with one headlight out which seems to double the intensity of the other one.

What tends to happen is when one blows they put it on hi beam so they can still see.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I have found night driving to be getting more difficult over the last couple of years. To the point that I avoid night driving where possible. A visit to the opticians revealed a slight cataract in my left eye which goes some way to explain it. I was also prescribed some drive safe Zeis lenses which make the glare much better, worth checking out if you struggle with glare imo.

'Anyone else notice that in some Caribbean islands the locals drive on full headlights all the time at night, bloody nightmare' .......so the posh glasses make the glare much better, have to say I haven't driven on a Caribbean island lately to comment ? Are you for real ?

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
As we’re talking inconsiderate drivers( no one on here, obviously) not parking in street parking places properly, in the middle of a two car space,, parking about six foot from the next car, etc really, really gets on my tits. FFS, park at the end of bays if you can, park as close as is reasonable to other cars, it’s not difficult.
Have a little consideration for other drivers

I used to see this all the time when I lived and parked in hove near the cricket ground
People turning 4 spaces into 3 or worse by parking 5ft from the end of the bay.
I once left a note on a car asking "was there a motorcycle parked behind you when you arrived or have you just parked like an idiot?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Due to these dangerous, inconsiderate ********, I only drive at night if I'm totally pissed and can't be arsed to wait for a taxi.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here