Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

BHA-ADSETT

Dec 29, 2013
Brighton
This has dropped off the front page, rather shockingly.

I've been having puncture issues recently - about 4 in the past 6 weeks. Real bugger, and I've even changed the tyre (to a Vittoria) and it doesn't seem to have changed my luck. Still, I'm a lot more proficient at a roadside change of inner tube than I used to be!

Had a bit of a splurge on new gear the other day, CO2 pump and some clothing, including my first pair of bibshorts (link). What's the NSC Geek club view on underwear with shorts?

With the puncture front I was suffering with punctures a little while back, I found in the end that the punctures were on the rim side.
The tape on the inside of the rim had moved over and was pinching the tube in the spoke holes, may be worth checking to make sure your not having the same problem. After I changed the tape I haven't had any problems!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I've tried again, couldn't quite get a completely plain background, but think I got everything else right!
jy2u6eva.jpg
Much better. Looks as though you need some round-up on your driveway though. :)

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Much better. Looks as though you need some round-up on your driveway though. :)

When am I going to find time to de-weed my drive Woodchip? Especially now I have a new bike?

1st proper ride out on it this morning, which was a thoroughly pleasurable experience. I did notice that there was a bit of chain rattle when I was on the big ring at the front and the three smallest at the back, even after I did that half tap to adjust thing. I guess the settings in the front mech just need a slight alteration.

So, I did 30.8km (I've now read the rules and realise that one cannot refer to distances in miles) in 1hr 12mins this morning, which I was pretty satisfied with as it wasn't flat.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hooray! [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION] is back.

Another possible schoolboy error to report. Had a great ride this morning and thought I'd overshaken the post ride bottle of milkshake because it sort of fizzed when I opened it. After a gulp, I tasted vomit not chocolate. Legged it to the khazi and called for Hughey. I'm bricking the next 24 hours now.

Don't drink fizzy milkshake boys and girls.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When am I going to find time to de-weed my drive Woodchip? Especially now I have a new bike?

1st proper ride out on it this morning, which was a thoroughly pleasurable experience. I did notice that there was a bit of chain rattle when I was on the big ring at the front and the three smallest at the back, even after I did that half tap to adjust thing. I guess the settings in the front mech just need a slight alteration.

So, I did 30.8km (I've now read the rules and realise that one cannot refer to distances in miles) in 1hr 12mins this morning, which I was pretty satisfied with as it wasn't flat.

Great stuff.
I'd imagine it's only requires a minor adjustment.
The very very clean fella on youtube with a blue background will help you, search 'gear adjustment'.

Miles is fine unless you're looking at a specific number.
100kms, is better than 60 miles. 100 miles is better than 160kms.

Hooray! [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION] is back.

Another possible schoolboy error to report. Had a great ride this morning and thought I'd overshaken the post ride bottle of milkshake because it sort of fizzed when I opened it. After a gulp, I tasted vomit not chocolate. Legged it to the khazi and called for Hughey. I'm bricking the next 24 hours now.

Don't drink fizzy milkshake boys and girls.
WTF?? :lol:

Are you sure you're Motogull and not Frank Spencer?

Every time you leave the house it's a calamity.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Well. With a spare day off work, I thought I'd pick up a tip off here & seek out this Kidds Hill I've heard some of you mention.

In hindsight, choosing to explore this particular location for the first time in my life on a hot day, after a week off the bike due to unfriendly shifts, and directly after three days away spent largely sitting around drinking wine & eating too much food, may not have been my best ever idea :ohmy:

I felt considerably more sluggish than in recent rides, and the hill, I'm not ashamed to say, proved to be extremely mean to me. Also came off the bike half way up after one of my shoes slipped in the pedal, and then I couldn't get the other one out in time. So another first accomplished today too: my first clipless-pedal-related (minor) crash :clap: Having to get going again on that slope was not the funnest experience of my week.

I'll be back for more though, I will beat that hill if it kills me. Back in the groove this week: I've rather missed my bike.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well done [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]. I plan to get out there this summer. Was going to venture out to Yorks Hill but after some wise words from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and a bit of bikehike.co.uk comparing with nasty climbs I know, that's gonna get dodged for the time being.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Well done [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]. I plan to get out there this summer. Was going to venture out to Yorks Hill but after some wise words from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and a bit of bikeradar.co.uk comparing with nasty climbs I know, that's gonna get dodged for the time being.

I'm telling myself that my sluggish effort today was just the start, and that I've got a target to beat now.

Quite a long old hill leading up from the A22 Maresfield bypass, past Duddleswell (where you get to see all the people having a leisurely afternoon sit down in the sunshine outside the tea rooms, just to rub it in), and to Kingstanding up near the top.

It's all miles in the bank, innit, and I'm going to get myself GOOD at it by the end of this summer :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm hearing you Edna!

Heat nearly killed me today, and I've been very very lazy recently, watching every World Cup game and every stage of the TdF. Paid for it today that's for sure. Felt like there was no air at all and I'm never good in the heat.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Look I'm old school , My @*@* is 8 inches not 20.32 cm. :D

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just entering the Km versus Mph debate here. I'm with [MENTION=12917]Bedsex[/MENTION] in recording Km. It's clearly a lot sexier. You ride faster and you go further in Km's. And if you ride faster and further then you are clearly fitter, so Km's are also the healthier option.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In other news, I have heard from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] who finished L'Étape du Tour. I could not get much from him. He just kept uttering the words 'cruel' and 'beautiful' over and over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In other news, I have heard from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] who finished L'Étape du Tour. I could not get much from him. He just kept uttering the words 'cruel' and 'beautiful' over and over.
Did he win?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Polka dot jersey I hear.
Pah, he's dead to me now.

Fingers crossed [MENTION=5362]manintheblackpajamas[/MENTION] salvaged our reputation.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Pah, he's dead to me now.

Fingers crossed [MENTION=5362]manintheblackpajamas[/MENTION] salvaged our reputation.
[MENTION=109]mani[/MENTION]ntheblackpyjamas starting to challenge Sagan for the green jersey I hear.

The weather was a bit tasty by all accounts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here