Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germany vs England - tonight 7.45pm

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well I think we are, not in qualifiers but when it really matters.
I know it's only a friendly but the Germans were not even trying.

It was a friendly which is an ideal time to experiment with a different formation. Poldolski's goal was a great one, so no shame in that.

I was in France last year, on holiday, during part of the Euros, watching with French, Germans & Dutch. It wasn't embarrassing, nobody took the mickey even though we didn't know the majority of them. Of course we should have done better, but you just shrug your shoulders & move on. I don't understand all this 'I've given up on the team for good' just because we've not had success for years. Most football teams don't have success year in, and year out.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
A lot of positives I thought. Kudos to Southgate for at least trying a new formation and new players. He can't really do much more than that with what he has to work with, can he?

As for "it was only Germany's reserves", well it was Germany, in their own back yard. I don't think there really is such thing as a weak German team.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The Krauts are very poor tonight. Great England support as ever. Best in the world.

http://www.football365.com/news/rating-the-players-germany-1-0-england
I read this, then thought of your post.

THE FANS: Yeah, this is an extra. But when you listen to several thousand morons singing about ten German bombers, asking the German crowd if they have ever won a war and chanting about the IRA, you really do wonder about the state of our society.

No songs about the players on the pitch, no invention, just a bunch of oafs who think it is acceptable to taunt away supporters about a conflict that ended 72 years ago. Those that actually fought in that conflict not only don’t want you to sing about it, but probably feel entirely miserable that their valiant efforts have ended in people like you being allowed to travel abroad. Anyway, I look forward to those same twats crying in Russia because they been arrested unfairly or beaten up but I only threw a small chair, honest guv.

“Please don’t take me home” is their other imaginative ditty. You read our f**king minds.

Daniel Storey

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
http://www.football365.com/news/rating-the-players-germany-1-0-england
I read this, then thought of your post.

THE FANS: Yeah, this is an extra. But when you listen to several thousand morons singing about ten German bombers, asking the German crowd if they have ever won a war and chanting about the IRA, you really do wonder about the state of our society.

No songs about the players on the pitch, no invention, just a bunch of oafs who think it is acceptable to taunt away supporters about a conflict that ended 72 years ago. Those that actually fought in that conflict not only don’t want you to sing about it, but probably feel entirely miserable that their valiant efforts have ended in people like you being allowed to travel abroad. Anyway, I look forward to those same twats crying in Russia because they been arrested unfairly or beaten up but I only threw a small chair, honest guv.

“Please don’t take me home” is their other imaginative ditty. You read our f**king minds.

Daniel Storey

What a bile-ridden, hypocritical, self-loathing and spiteful review. On the one hand he calls these fans that travel around the world in the largest numbers following a country that hasn't won anything for 60 years morons yet he finishes his drivel with a wish that they all get beaten up. Bearing in mind that some England fans were put in comas by Russian hooligans that's a) showing a massive inability to grasp what happened with the Russians and b) that he's just as bad if not worse than those who he calls twats,

Daniel Storey is a shitpuffin and doesn't speak for me, despite appointing himself spokesman for the rest of the country.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
What a bile-ridden, hypocritical, self-loathing and spiteful review. On the one hand he calls these fans that travel around the world in the largest numbers following a country that hasn't won anything for 60 years morons yet he finishes his drivel with a wish that they all get beaten up. Bearing in mind that some England fans were put in comas by Russian hooligans that's a) showing a massive inability to grasp what happened with the Russians and b) that he's just as bad if not worse than those who he calls twats,

Daniel Storey is a shitpuffin and doesn't speak for me, despite appointing himself spokesman for the rest of the country.

I wasn't there and have never been to an England match so I can't weigh in too far, but don't you think singing war songs in Germany in what was touted a new beginning for England, in a match which was pretty much a testimonial for a respected player of the game, well, massively tinpot and ugly?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thought that was a good performance, with the caveat of course that Germany are a tournament team and treat friendlies as, well, friendlies and we still think that the result is the important thing. (A bit like the way some Brighton fans approach pre-season friendlies).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I wasn't there and have never been to an England match so I can't weigh in too far, but don't you think singing war songs in Germany in what was touted a new beginning for England, in a match which was pretty much a testimonial for a respected player of the game, well, massively tinpot and ugly?

I hear what you're saying, but all nations go on about wars and battles: the Irish sing about about the Easter Rising, the Americans about the War of Independence*, and dear old Scotland have to go all the way back to the Middle Ages to find a military victory they can crow about. The main problem for England isn't the meaning of the lyrics, it's that the songs are shit.

*And the war of 1812 before someone points out the origin of the Star Spangled Banner

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I The main problem for England isn't the meaning of the lyrics, it's that the songs are shit.

With respect, the issue surely is totally the meaning of the lyrics. Harking back to a war in which millions died, of many different backrounds (nationality, race, creed) including your own and celebrating it as a victory is obscene and embarrassing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I heard the chant once at the beginning of the match and that was it. It was pretty much wall to wall God Save the Queen and We're On Our Way from thereon in. The song was inevitable but far too much was made of what is not a big deal by the author of that piece. The author had a clear agenda...all England fans are morons...all England fans luzz chairs and get into fights with other fans...all England fans deserve to get beaten up. Remind me again who is the one with the prejudice?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Booing the German national anthem wasn't classy either.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
yet he finishes his drivel with a wish that they all get beaten up.

Erm, no - if you re-read it, he says he looks forward to them crying in a cell because they have been arrested or beaten up - he doesn't wish for that. Bit of a difference...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I hear what you're saying, but all nations go on about wars and battles: the Irish sing about about the Easter Rising, the Americans about the War of Independence*, and dear old Scotland have to go all the way back to the Middle Ages to find a military victory they can crow about.

Did England win two World Wars then? Don't the Irish, the Americans and the Scots even get credited with an assist? ???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Erm, no - if you re-read it, he says he looks forward to them crying in a cell because they have been arrested or beaten up - he doesn't wish for that. Bit of a difference...

His exact words: "...I look forward to those same twats crying in Russia because they been arrested unfairly or beaten up..."

I don't want to get too pedantic about it but I read that as saying that he looks forward to someone crying for being arrested unfairly (yeah that's nice too) OR for being beaten up. I think we'll have to agree to disagree with your interpretation seeing as, in my eyes, it's impossible to wish to see someone crying about being beaten up without also wishing them to be beaten up.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A disappointing defeat but an encouraging performance, only consolation on the night was I won 3rd prize in the meat raffle.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
His exact words: "...I look forward to those same twats crying in Russia because they been arrested unfairly or beaten up..."

I don't want to get too pedantic about it but I read that as saying that he looks forward to someone crying for being arrested unfairly (yeah that's nice too) OR for being beaten up. I think we'll have to agree to disagree with your interpretation seeing as, in my eyes, it's impossible to wish to see someone crying about being beaten up without also wishing them to be beaten up.

Then your understanding of the English language is as poor as your moral code.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Then your understanding of the English language is as poor as your moral code.

Okay, happy to be corrected here so please can you give me an example of how someone can wish to see a person crying after getting beaten up without wanting them to get beaten up?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
He does not say that he wants to see them get beaten up. He's implying that, unfortunately, it is almost inevitable that people will get beaten up in Russia. If that does occur, then i don't think he would pity them after the event. It does not imply that he condones that actual act of violence.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He does not say that he wants to see them get beaten up. He's implying that, unfortunately, it is almost inevitable that people will get beaten up in Russia. If that does occur, then i don't think he would pity them after the event. It does not imply that he condones that actual act of violence.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you. It does imply that he wants them beaten up otherwise he'll never get his wish of seeing them crying about it. He doesn't say that he wouldn't have pity for them but that he... looks forward to seeing them cry. That's two different things.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you. It does imply that he wants them beaten up otherwise he'll never get his wish of seeing them crying about it. He doesn't say that he wouldn't have pity for them but that he... looks forward to seeing them cry. That's two different things.

Disagree all you want:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here