Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wednesday fans discussing us....

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I like Wednesday. Always have. Their fans were good to talk to when we mixed with them pre-play offs last year. They are a big club, with more historical success than us. But, it's not about the past is it now.

I look forward to them playing the Blades next year.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why are they called Wednesday and not Tuesday or Friday?

Because, back in the days when they were good, you know, when Adam were a lad, or before the old Queen died, football didn't put every game on the telly, so, the real Sheffield team, United used to play on the Saturday, and Wednesday, used to play on errrr, Wednesday.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
To be fair a lot of their fans have praised us. They feel we've kicked on whilst they feel they've stood still relatively speaking.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
They got this name because it was on Wednesdays that the founding members had their day off work.

They're Yorkshireman, they never had a day off.
And then , Father would beat them with a broken bottle,

But you tell the kids of today, they'll never believe you.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
MASSIVE not been discussed in a while, here's a little snippet from perusing their boards today:

You can't deny Brighton are a very good team and nice to watch, but there's something so irredeemably awful about them that winds me up so much. They're like a Hard Rock Cafe in a division full of traditional country pubs. I half expect them to line up and do a synchronised dance every time they score. Everything about them makes me cringe.

Except their results.
I know what you mean. There's just something that I dislike about them and have done so for a number of years.

It's like football for a lot of their "fans" only really started one they moved into their shiny new stadium.

To their credit though they'll get up this season and deservedly so.

Both seem lacking in self awareness. Thai owned Sheffield Wednesday are only like a traditional country pub if it's been gutted and turned into a chain bar. The Amex-era Albion may be shiny and new in his eyes, but we are actually more like a decent gastro-pub keeping it's locals happy whilst attracting couples and families with good quality food and drink. We may not have been competing with the big names for as long, but everything we do cares for the punter and the quality of the experience. We don't do the tacky High Street stuff like goal music and cheerleaders. We haven't got an awful jukebox ruining the atmosphere with tuneless brass band renditions of cliched football tunes. I suspect that what he doesn't like about us may be that we're the epitome of Southern and to certain Yorkshiremen that will always equal middle class.

The second poster says that our fans think football started when we moved to the stadium. This suggests that the writer is either not old enough to remember The Goldstone, or was not aware of our existence before The Amex. Either option provides a nice dramatic irony when coupled with an accusation that our fans lack an understanding of football history. Anyone aware of how we struggled to get to the nice shiny stadium would know that this club wouldn't be in existence, let alone be where it is today, without a lot of dedicated passionate people willing to fight tooth and nail to save a big part of their community. The fact that a good proportion of the crowd came, or came back, when the stadium was built suggests that, despite the generation lost through mismanagement, the appetite of the Sussex people for the Albion never quite went away. If a lot of fans are new since the beginning of this decade, it just means that they may be with us to build history, rather than just look back on it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"You can't deny Brighton are a very good team and nice to watch, but there's something so irredeemably awful about them that winds me up so much. They're like a Hard Rock Cafe in a division full of traditional country pubs. I half expect them to line up and do a synchronised dance every time they score. Everything about them makes me cringe."

"It's like football for a lot of their "fans" only really started one they moved into their shiny new stadium."
So they assume we're just all new :rolleyes:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with everything else you said, but it wasn't mismanagement, it was robbery.
despite the generation lost through mismanagement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here