Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Complacency

Watched on Sky with lots of pro Brighton other team supporters several hundred miles away tonight. Was telling and interesting to hear opinions obviously. But yes, this word was ringing in my head and was mentioned by the aforementioned. We looked like we thought just turning up was enough. Christ do we need to toughen up and learn a lot quicker. As one pointed out, hardly any are young and good enough to compete in the Premier. Sorry but that includes Monsieur Knocky. There's a vast difference. One thing these neutrals couldn't understand was why Solly March and Hemed didn't feature. Especially when Murray was poor and March is such an impact sub. They'd all heard of both and I have to say Big Chris appears to have got the game plan wrong again. These two should have been on a lot earlier.

I also watched the game on the TV and can't say that I disagree with much of this. After 20 minutes there was only one team in it and overall I think they deserved to win; just a shame it wasn't us, but our limited tactical approach for the remaining 70 minutes and some very poor individual execution throughout restricted our opportunities to win. I think Hughton either got it wrong (as at Preston & Hudds) or Benitez just did a better job on the night. Maybe both.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Saying that the players got complacent isn't slagging them off. It's just an observation. It's human nature. Let's face it
We're all pissed off about the result and the manner of the defeat. I regret starting this thread
Don't. For every moaner there's a condoner...the latter just never see it can be more damaging than blind faith.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm talking top three ONLY in the forecast sense. Grief. Don't be sorry. Use your canister instead. We're all trying to predict the situation in May and we lie third in this mini league. Not good!

You are cherry picking to suit your argument. The league is not decided according to how you get on against two other teams. That's the play offs. We need to continue to get results at the same rate we have all season. It doesn't matter who the results are against, keeping up our season's level of points per game for the last 12 games would give us 96 points.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
it seemed like that to the independents. And many diehards. I think you're in the minority if you think Newcastle didn't have us on the back foot for 3/4 of the game.

Because they played better than us, with better substitutes. That's not us being complacent. Sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition allow you to. Our workrate & attacking were just as good as normal.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well the bed wetter of the night award is well and truly sewn up. Enjoy.
And you win Mr Thicky award for being incapable of seeing we've lost three out of 4 games against the other 2 sides competing for two automatic places which may well mean we (drum roll) finish 3rd! But by acknowledging this fact you've translated it into bed wetting in your book...:facepalm:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You are cherry picking to suit your argument. The league is not decided according to how you get on against two other teams. That's the play offs. We need to continue to get results at the same rate we have all season. It doesn't matter who the results are against, keeping up our season's level of points per game for the last 12 games would give us 96 points.
of course I'm cherry picking. It's my opinion. Just as you've 'cherry picked' yours. We see things differently. Get over it!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Because they played better than us, with better substitutes. That's not us being complacent. Sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition allow you to. Our workrate & attacking were just as good as normal.
hang on. They played better than us? Or perhaps we dropped our usual high standards that made them look way better? Jesus, we couldn't do the basics tonight. That's not them playing much better, that's us not doing our job. Nothing to do with them being better. We made it easier for them to dominate. Regardless, they're better than us. The table shows this. And the two games against them does. But the story behind the facts is just how easy we made it with an inability to keep, control and pass the ball for majority of the game.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
And you win Mr Thicky award for being incapable of seeing we've lost three out of 4 games against the other 2 sides competing for two automatic places which may well mean we (drum roll) finish 3rd! But by acknowledging this fact you've translated it into bed wetting in your book...:facepalm:

These being the teams respectively doubled by Blackburn and defeated at home by Wigan. A mini league of 4 games is hardly a representative sample of a 46 game season. If we finish third it will, quite simply, be because we got less points than the second team over 46 games. That's the context.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
These being the teams respectively doubled by Blackburn and defeated at home by Wigan. A mini league of 4 games is hardly a representative sample of a 46 game season. If we finish third it will, quite simply, be because we got less points than the second team over 46 games. That's the context.
Really? I hadn't noticed that. And here's me enjoying a hypothetical angle on tonight's result...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
of course I'm cherry picking. It's my opinion. Just as you've 'cherry picked' yours. We see things differently. Get over it!

My 'cherry picked' measurement is the same one the football league will use to decide who gets promoted.

Please don't use 'Get over it!'. It's an aggressive dismissal designed to shut down valid argument, by making it seem that one side of a debate is presenting an objectively correct viewpoint and the other is disagreeing, not because they happen to think the statement is false or wrong, but because they are addressing the point in an irrational emotive state.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Enjoy away if it pleases you. Just seems OTT to insult someone with a dubious stat.

It's not dubious. It's a stat. And plenty of commentators are making the same head to head point and how this might therefore reflect how things finish. It's really not complicated to understand. Unless you're a bit thick. Which he might well be, I don't know. In which case That's twice the reason not to have insulted me first.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My 'cherry picked' measurement is the same one the football league will use to decide who gets promoted.

Please don't use 'Get over it!'. It's an aggressive dismissal designed to shut down valid argument, by making it seem that one side of a debate is presenting an objectively correct viewpoint and the other is disagreeing, not because they happen to think the statement is false or wrong, but because they are addressing the point in an irrational emotive state.[/QUOTE

But I'm not interested in your opinion. So I'm shutting it down. As is my prerogative. If I could be arsed to argue with you I would. But it's late and clearly we disagree. Far too late to be throwing concise Oxford dictionary definitions of 'get over it' around. Which does make you sound a bit, well, zzzzz. In fairness, don't you think? I mean, it's a bit of a Nigel thing to do.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But we could've done the double over both of those teams and STILL come third :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But we could've done the double over both of those teams and STILL come third :shrug:

Er, yes. But that's not the point being made here. Let's just leave it at if my auntie had...etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here