Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New iPhones - 2018 edition

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Strange that Apple didn't get Gates to sign a Content NDA, considering he had already licenced ms dos, which he bought for just $50k, to IBM.

I don't think Apple saw Microsoft as a competitor at that time, and not take control of the PC market. Microsoft paid a tidy sum to license the GUI in the first Windows, wasn't until the 2nd version when lots of other things were copied that Apple filed a suit against MS. Although the irony is that the original GUI was Xerox's and they sued Apple at the same time.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I don't think Apple saw Microsoft as a competitor at that time, and not take control of the PC market. Microsoft paid a tidy sum to license the GUI in the first Windows, wasn't until the 2nd version when lots of other things were copied that Apple filed a suit against MS. Although the irony is that the original GUI was Xerox's and they sued Apple at the same time.

This all happened around the same time Scarface first hit the cinemas, Steve Jobs should have heeded Frank Lopez's warning "don't underestimate the other guy's greed".

bhafc1976

Apr 16, 2015
Will the new ones still have a poor amount of storage? iTunes is also the work of the devil. Now, a Samsung S9, that's a smart phone!

Sent from my VFD 620 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Will the new ones still have a poor amount of storage? iTunes is also the work of the devil. Now, a Samsung S9, that's a smart phone!

Unbelievably, more than one manufacturer can make a great smart phone without the other one's being crap.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll take that as a no then, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

It's one of the items in my (slow moving) list in the Housekeeping thread stuck to the top of the board. I'm leaving it stuck there to shame me into action.

bhafc1976

Apr 16, 2015
The phone itself is fine but if they're still limiting internal storage without the option for adding external storage and tying people to iTunes rather than allowing you to drag and drop whatever files you want, then that's archaic in my book.
Unbelievably, more than one manufacturer can make a great smart phone without the other one's being crap.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The phone itself is fine but if they're still limiting internal storage without the option for adding external storage and tying people to iTunes rather than allowing you to drag and drop whatever files you want, then that's archaic in my book.

I couldn't tell you the last time any of my iPhones were connected to iTunes, or even a computer (Mac, obvs) for that matter. It must be many years.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I get what you are saying about the non ability to use storage cards internally on an iPhone but with the current capacity at 256GB does an 'average' user need more? If the iPhone user is a hoarder and gets near to their limit surely the media would be dumped to the cloud or an external device?

bhafc1976

Apr 16, 2015
I get what you are saying about the non ability to use storage cards internally on an iPhone but with the current capacity at 256GB does an 'average' user need more? If the iPhone user is a hoarder and gets near to their limit surely the media would be dumped to the cloud or an external device?
If you get 256GB these days then fair play. Is the 256GB version more expensive than an S9? Either way I wouldn't switch back though.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If you get 256GB these days then fair play. Is the 256GB version more expensive than an S9? Either way I wouldn't switch back though.

Without looking it up I would say there is a good chance the 256GB IPhone X is more expensive than the S9!

Two superb phones but as flagships for the respective companies they should be!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'll take that as a no then, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?
He'll shut nsc down for a couple of hours anyway so he can play with his new toy after queuing all night to buy one. Done it before...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Without looking it up I would say there is a good chance the 256GB IPhone X is more expensive than the S9!

Two superb phones but as flagships for the respective companies they should be!

Again, I've not looked but certainly the last time I looked at a new flagship Samsung phone it was only marginally cheaper than the top iPhone at the time of launch.

The real difference comes later...

- The selling price of an Android phone drifts down over its lifetime, principally because many other companies bring out new top-of-the-line Android phones. iPhones stay the same price for the whole year.

- The iPhone retains far more value when you come to sell it on, be it after 6, 12 or 24 months.

Industry commentators are suggesting that the new iPhones could get cheaper this year >>> https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-2018-iphone-may-actually-be-getting-cheaper/ - I'm not sure if this could mean flagship iPhones are cheaper than equivalent Samsungs or not.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why is it always Samsung v Apple in these discussions?

Samsung do the marketing and make great phones, like Apple. So people tend to presume that with top of the range phones, they're the only option.

But when I did the research on my last upgrade I found out that (at the time) the best Android phone on the market was the One Plus 5t.

In comparison to the iPhone X it came out basically even. Better on speed, battery life, worse on camera software. Everything else pretty much the same.

But it cost £550 instead of £1100.

It's by far the best phone I've ever used and I love it.

Incidentally, I was in the pub the other night and a young bloke at the bar said " Nice phone, how are you finding the S9 mate?".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The most exciting day of the year is nearly upon us.

Yes, it's not long now until Apple unveil this year's new iPhones allowing Apple fanboys to swoon over the new shiny things, whilst also allowing those in Android-land to tell anyone who will listen "that's now new - we've had <insert feature here> for years".

Everything suggests there will be three new iPhones this year:

- A 6.5" update to the iPhone X, supposedly the biggest-screen phone on the market, and called iPhone XS.
- A 5.8" update to the iPhone X, confusingly also called iPhone XS.
- A new budget-priced phone of the iPhone X form factor, ie with the notch (that nearly everyone else has copied)

Roll on September 12th.
I thought my life was, shallow,miserable and empty....suddenly I feel really quite good.!

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Just bought a brand new iPhone X for £700 off the back of this latest event. Anyone got any ideas what the latest one brings or is it an ‘S’ version? [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here