Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My lad was fine by the time we got home, probably gulped water down too quick on top of the run.

Thankfully no dog walkers being difficult today.

I enjoyed the variation on the course, and the one slope at halfway to get the heart pumping. Although there are a few pinch points, plenty of opportunities to overtake (unlike Claire- my least favourite that I've done).
The start was did catch me out... one minute everyone was milling around listen to the pre run chat.. then 3,2..1 GO! without really lining up. Then a mad dash for the path, funnelling in and having to slow.

Thinking of trying Horsham next time I get the tourist urge.

Horsham's a bit quicker if a bit lacking scenery (if my memory is right)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My active running weekend continued this morning at 11am running the Trailblazer 10k. The course is probably nearer 9.5k which was welcome relief with the heat and hills.

My relaxed mindset of taking it easy definitely helped me pace this brute of a course. The last 2 miles were very tough as the 'Snake' started to take its toll.

It's a great course but it's definitely one of the toughest I've experienced. I picked up a few places on the final climb and I may have sneaked top 10 but I can't be sure. Finishing time was 40:44 and I was pleased with this.

The bike ride up Coldean Lane after was not particularly welcome but overall a good weekend.

I was thinking about the toughest races outside of marathon distance and I've come up with the following:-

1.The Hard Way 13
2.The Trailblazer 10k
3.The Downland Devil 9

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Were you in a polo shirt yesterday? Mainly white with some colourful stripes if I remember rightly? If so, and this is where it gets stalkerish, I have positively identified the person I believe to be you!

I’m really suffering with plantar fasciitis at the moment. Even walking is painful so running is either slow or unbearable or both. Yesterday I did 19:55 at Worthing which is incredibly frustrating as my body is obviously ready to go much faster but my feet won’t allow it. I was hobbling on the start line and pretty much gave up at the halfway point yet I still did a decent time. Sub-20 now feels so easy in cardio terms that I’m confident I could be around 19:15 if I was fully fit. Bloody annoying.

I can sympathise with you as I had this about 10 years ago in both feet. It was really painful and difficult in the mornings. Best wishes with getting it fixed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Were you in a polo shirt yesterday? Mainly white with some colourful stripes if I remember rightly? If so, and this is where it gets stalkerish, I have positively identified the person I believe to be you!

I’m really suffering with plantar fasciitis at the moment. Even walking is painful so running is either slow or unbearable or both. Yesterday I did 19:55 at Worthing which is incredibly frustrating as my body is obviously ready to go much faster but my feet won’t allow it. I was hobbling on the start line and pretty much gave up at the halfway point yet I still did a decent time. Sub-20 now feels so easy in cardio terms that I’m confident I could be around 19:15 if I was fully fit. Bloody annoying.

Had good results with a strassbourg sock, and very regular rolling of the arch on a frozen small bottle of water. Don’t run on it until it’s clear, it’ll only get worse.........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to treat you like a doctor (as I assume you’re not one) but how long do you think I’m looking at to recover?

If you’re conservative with it (seriously, don’t effing run on it) and the sock and iced bottle are deployed, shouldn’t be more than a couple of weeks max in my experience.......running on it now will make it chronic, then you’re looking at months. The elliptical trainer is your friend for the next couple of weeks

Edit - no, I’m not a doctor and nothing I post on here should be construed as useful advice. As a pudgy middle-aged long-distance runner, I have however experienced almost every running injury going and had about 3 million separate pieces of advice/treatment from a range of physios [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, I’ve got a lot of time for our more experienced runners on here for posts like this. One issue is that I’ve had it for about three to four weeks, but only realised what it is in the last few days as the pain has got worse. Seriously, walking from the car to the start was tough at parkrun yesterday. In a strange way it actually gets more comfortable once I’ve run about 2km. Anyway, as I didn’t realise what the problem was for almost a month, I’ve been running on it as normal, albeit mainly lower mileage and slower speeds than I’m used to. I’m going to take it easy and invest in a strassbourg sock:thumbs up:

Stop running, use the sock and roll your foot 3-4 times a day for 10 mins on an icy bottle, then a tennis ball (and when that’s no longer painful, use a golf ball).

It eases when warmed up (as you’ve noticed) which is a bit dangerous as you start to think it’s ok. Post-run, it usually stiffens up (ooer missus) very quickly and hurts like a *******.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I hope @TCB listens to the advice and recovers quickly. Below is a little spat from 5th July on Strava. Time to get the bike out or go to the gym. Good luck from Dr Knocky. I get rheumatoid arthritis when overtraining and still do it. We all do it! In fact I did it 10 days ago.
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] Very true! I don't really worry about pace on training runs though, I judge it by how I feel. And I feel like shit at the moment!
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] For 2-4 weeks you need to cut the pace and distance or preferably cross train and not run at all. You won't listen though! [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] A training run that is not part of a greater plan is just a macho jog.. Seriously physical or mental stress should lead to a drop in intensity. I've overstretched the line too often.... [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] Sorry I didn't mean I don't have aims for training. I always aim to train at 4:30/km although sometimes it's slower (like yesterday). I just judge success based on how hard it feels to do that, whereas parkruns and races are judged purely on time.
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] And no chance of listening to that [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] ! But I do need one week off soon

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Yes - that was me. (Never great on the sartorial side of running!) You've already had some sage advice from others on the injury and I've never had PF. But I would observe that you are at very tricky point where you know you can go faster but an injury stands between you and your goal. The injury will win the battle I fear. So, you need to back off for a bit. As an old git I can say I've been in this situation many times and I've almost always pushed it too much. You WILL lose a bit of form if you take it easy but you will quickly regain the form (and better) when you get back to 100% fitness.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Afternoon all. Sorry not been on for a while as been traipsing round Russia for no good reason over the last few weeks!

Anyway I missed the Phoenix 10k, hope that those that did it had fun, I imagine a few dropped out?. I did a couple of races recently, the run through organised Chase the Sun 10k at Clapham Common and the recent 5.30am run through Brighton. "Run Through" really are really great events and medals, the support from the Marshalls really is second to none. I have backed off on worrying about times at the moment as 9 weeks on Sunday until my 10th Marathon (Loch Ness). I will also be doing the 3 peaks challenge on the 5th August, so everything is currently geared to them. I have done more hill running and did 19 miles 15th July and 13 miles on Sunday. Everything going reasonably smoothly, obviously the heat has been an issue so it has meant early early starts on Sundays. I have also taken to a 5 mile loop round Ardingly reservoir and the South of England showground as hilly but also means I pass my car each lap so have been able to replenish my water supplies! I also did the Clair Park Park Run on Sunday, forgot just how hilly that course is but all good training towards the three peaks challenge. I put on nearly half a stone with the beer and vodka and occasional unhealthy plate of food in Russia, but I have managed to knock most of that back off with running in this heat. I passed 700 miles so far for the year on Sunday, so well on the way for achieving an average of 100 miles a month for the year (my initial target was 1,111 for the year)

This week a few of us doing the 3 peaks challenge will be walking up various hills for 10 miles then undoing the good with BBQ, beer and camping overnight!

Additionally I have joined a new running group, the Worth Way Runners - so will be going to my first training session with them on Tuesday. I will see how that goes, they have a real mix of abilities and goals. There local park run is Tilgate Park which is my favourite one and I often run the Worth Way so hopefully a good match.

I hope all are well and having fun.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I'm fairly sure [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] ran a faster 10K than is on the table at Worthing but I'll let him confirm for himself.

Talking of which, if you're reading this mate, are you going to run Bright10 in October? Our times in the 10K, 10 mile and HM are so close together I'm pretty sure we could pace / race each other to PBs over the next few months.

Indeed I do, my Worthing time was 49.12 but my PB is 48.54 at the Brighton 10k on the 19.11.2017. Well spotted.

I am doing the Bright10, 2 weeks after Loch Ness so I should hopefully have receoved by then.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Afternoon all. Sorry not been on for a while as been traipsing round Russia for no good reason over the last few weeks!

Anyway I missed the Phoenix 10k, hope that those that did it had fun, I imagine a few dropped out?. I did a couple of races recently, the run through organised Chase the Sun 10k at Clapham Common and the recent 5.30am run through Brighton. "Run Through" really are really great events and medals, the support from the Marshalls really is second to none. I have backed off on worrying about times at the moment as 9 weeks on Sunday until my 10th Marathon (Loch Ness). I will also be doing the 3 peaks challenge on the 5th August, so everything is currently geared to them. I have done more hill running and did 19 miles 15th July and 13 miles on Sunday. Everything going reasonably smoothly, obviously the heat has been an issue so it has meant early early starts on Sundays. I have also taken to a 5 mile loop round Ardingly reservoir and the South of England showground as hilly but also means I pass my car each lap so have been able to replenish my water supplies! I also did the Clair Park Park Run on Sunday, forgot just how hilly that course is but all good training towards the three peaks challenge. I put on nearly half a stone with the beer and vodka and occasional unhealthy plate of food in Russia, but I have managed to knock most of that back off with running in this heat. I passed 700 miles so far for the year on Sunday, so well on the way for achieving an average of 100 miles a month for the year (my initial target was 1,111 for the year)

This week a few of us doing the 3 peaks challenge will be walking up various hills for 10 miles then undoing the good with BBQ, beer and camping overnight!

Additionally I have joined a new running group, the Worth Way Runners - so will be going to my first training session with them on Tuesday. I will see how that goes, they have a real mix of abilities and goals. There local park run is Tilgate Park which is my favourite one and I often run the Worth Way so hopefully a good match.

I hope all are well and having fun.

Hi Good to hear from you and I look forward to the Russia blog - sounded like a great event from everyone who went.

I did the 3 peaks at the start of July - let me know if you want any tips or have any questions I may be able to help with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here