Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This idea keeps coming up - even though car manufacturers have made it quite clear that they're happy to absorb the financial loss from the UK market for the longer term benefits of the single market.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-germany-bmw-elmar-brok-eu-parliament-steering-group

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/08/german-industry-warns-uk-over-brexit

I think it's stating the bleeding obvious that businessess across Europe are lobbying their governments to continue good access to major established markets. The 'protect the integrity of the single/internal market or have a good open trade relationship with the UK' is a false choice that is politically motivated in my view. Eg the Canada EU trade deal removes 98% of all tarriffs and they are a far less significant market than we are.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What are YOU doing? Me? Step one, stop/fight brexit.

I'm sitting back and waiting for us to leave the EU. I have no need to do anything - firstly I voted leave and that is what is happening. Secondly I'm not the one making grandose statements about saving people and fighting Brexit. So as it stands you've not mention one single action - that means actually doing something not just posting crap on here - that you are undertaking to help these people you speak of. FULL OF HOT GRIZZLY AIR.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Looks like the Tories are going to nominate 10 new peers for the House of Lords in an attempt to shore up their position. No doubt all pro-Brexit, another example of how this weak government are yet again trying to undermine democracy, desperate times for them....

Maths not your strong point clearly.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The 'protect the integrity of the single/internal market or have a good open trade relationship with the UK' is a false choice that is politically motivated in my view. Eg the Canada EU trade deal removes 98% of all tarriffs and they are a far less significant market than we are.

That there is a degree of mutual-exclusivity between the two is based on the fact that if the UK is allowed to save financial and other obligations by walking away from the European Union while at the same time retaining many of the advantages of membership, including easy access to the single market, then the future of the Union, including most certainly the current arrangements regarding free movement of goods, will be severely compromised. I assume that that was the thinking behind the comments.

You're certainly right about the relative importance of the Canadian market.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
And you have failed to answer how brexit is better for ALL of us Europeans (that includes you by the way).

You hadn't asked that question. It's better for UK people because we will be able to strike trade deals outside the EU , we'll be free to decide all our own laws, we'll have democracy closer to the people .... to name but three. What the mainland Europeans do is not of my concern.

So back to you ..... what are YOU doing, and I mean actually DOING, to help all these people you claim to be helping ? *** awaits another avoidance ***

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I will be campaigning to reverse brexit. For the very reasons you state. Why do you not care about the rest of the people in Europe? They are part of us and we are part of them. What happens to them is important to us.

They are not part of us, we are not part of them. We are British, well I am British. I couldn't care what they do as I'm sure they couldn't care what we do. Good luck in reversing Brexit and the unrest that will cause.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And you have failed to answer how brexit is better for ALL of us Europeans (that includes you by the way).

' Protectionism '......' System of protecting home industries '....( OED )
( and one very very big player in particular ).....see Britain....see economic base....see agenda of EU....see unsuitability to our needs...see inevitable crash and burn of EU expansionist plans...see callous devastion of S European states...see EU growth....see Global growth...see 4000+ bureaucrats earning 6 figure salaries....see unelected bureaucrats controlling our destiny....see corruption and fraud on a level nowhere else seen on this planet....see an organisation that accountants have given up on....see the most insidious and misguided superstate agenda since 1933.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm not the one making grandose statements about saving people.

glad to see he is back, and posting on NSC

captain-euro.jpg

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I will be campaigning to reverse brexit. For the very reasons you state. Why do you not care about the rest of the people in Europe? They are part of us and we are part of them. What happens to them is important to us.

So what exactly are you doing on the campaign front then ? Or is posting on NSC as far as you are taking your campaign ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Trouble is every twist and turn of a predictably complicated and difficult negotiation process is being jumped on and in many cases willfully misinterpreted to suit preconceived positions/score points. I prefer to wait until a final deal is actually agreed (if we get to that point) before giving a view.

I think the Brexit campaign were replying in kind responding to the rather hysterical project fear lines about leaving the EU meant end of trade/no access to the single market etc The Irish and the EU are certainly playing hardball it will be interesting to see if this continues as the deadlines draw closer and real economic damage (bad for the EU overall probably worse for the UK and catastrophic for Ireland + other individual EU countries) is on the cards. This is also why saying a no deal scenario was an option and preparing for it if pushed too far was important. If the other sides believe we will cave in, come what 'may' we would always get bullied and end up being mugged off.

But it's not a difficult and complicated negotiation is it. It was completely predictable from June 2016 and it's gone (and going) exactly the way you, me and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] knew (and, I'm guessing, you two feared) it would. (When he gives up trying to prove he's intellectually superior to other posters).

No matter how many posts we make on here, we all know what's really going to happen.

Leave, remain or whatever, Ppf and two profs will always struggle to sit the right way on a toilet seat and will consequently suffer the outcome but what can you do :shrug:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Do you want to know what I ate for breakfast too!?

Another swerve .... you really don't like backing up your argument do you ? No I don 't give a toss about your eating habits. So, what are YOU doing to help all those people ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Oh nothing. Why? Because you won't accept anything other than that answer and I am not telling you information about my private life on here, because that's just stupid.
So lets just say nothing. Then you can sit back and feel all warm and superior.

How is asking what you're doing to help all those people asking about your private life ? :facepalm: You get Billy Big Bollocks about 'we must fight back' etc etc and when actually put on the spot you fail ..... miserably. You continue to wet your pants about the UK leaving .... the only person it's affecting is you. Enjoy your lack of freedom of movement :lol:

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
We are all European FFS.

I'm not European, I'm British. Why only Europe? It's a bit like saying we are all humans so why not just have the whole world and call it quits. Why should we treat Europe any different from the rest of the world? Apart from price fixing and letting as many over here as possible, I fail to see the benefit for the ordinary British man or woman.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
And yes, we should be even more global.

Indeed we should .... we should throw off the shackles of the EU and converse and trade with the rest of the WORLD. You've kind of shot down your own argument there .... doh !

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not European, I'm British. Why only Europe? It's a bit like saying we are all humans so why not just have the whole world and call it quits. Why should we treat Europe any different from the rest of the world? Apart from price fixing and letting as many over here as possible, I fail to see the benefit for the ordinary British man or woman.

Why stop at British, get more local and narrow

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here