Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Swansea

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I said this today to someone. It's not WAY beyond the realms of football's mysterious ways for the following to happen:

Man City 6-0 Southampton
Swansea 4-0 Stoke (Stoke players down in the dumps, and would love to get Mark Hughes relegated in the above game)

Funnier things have happened.....*

*I know it's unlikely!
I’d as excited about that scenario as an Albion win against a top six club :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There is an argument to say that we broke Swansea. When they came to us in March they had just beaten Burnley, Arsenal, Liverpool and scored 8 against Newport in the cup. Having taken 14 from a possible 21 league points under Carlos, everyone thought that their worries were over. Chris Hughton's tactical schooling was the equivalent of the little boy standing up and shouting 'The King Is In The Altogether!' and after that, they got one win and all of 6 points from a possible 27.

Hughton's too nice a man to gloat, but it must feel like a bit of justification after Carvalhal profited from his misfortune in the 2016 play offs semis.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is an argument to say that we broke Swansea. When they came to us in March they had just beaten Burnley, Arsenal, Liverpool and scored 8 against Newport in the cup. Having taken 14 from a possible 21 league points under Carlos, everyone thought that their worries were over. Chris Hughton's tactical schooling was the equivalent of the little boy standing up and shouting 'The King Is In The Altogether!' and after that, they got one win and all of 6 points from a possible 27.

Hughton's too nice a man to gloat, but it must feel like a bit of justification after Carvalhal profited from his misfortune in the 2016 play offs semis.

The week after our win Swans thrashed West Ham 4-1 and the only match they lost in the next five after us was an away defeat to Man Utd.

They've just lacked that little bit of quality. Llorente and Sigurdsson out, Abraham and Renato Sanches in looked pretty much like for like but - oh boy! - did it go tits up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The week after our win Swans thrashed West Ham 4-1 and the only match they lost in the next five after us was an away defeat to Man Utd.

They've just lacked that little bit of quality. Llorente and Sigurdsson out, Abraham and Renato Sanches in looked pretty much like for like but - oh boy! - did it go tits up.

Reporting suggested that the West Ham win was far more to do with an inept West Ham than a decent Swansea. That was their last league win of the season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
These are fine lines. Swansea have won only one less game than us - and we beat them twice.

Defensively, there are 9 teams who have conceded more goals than Swansea.

What's killed them is lack of goals - they are the lowest scorers in the division.

Last season they scored 45 goals, of which 24 were scored by Llorente and Sigurdsson, 21 the rest.

This season their replacements Abraham and Sanches have got 5 goals, with the rest getting 22.

Indeed, when you boil it right down to the most significant single factor, it was selling Llorente and replacing him with Tammy Abraham.

This then begs the question "What would have happened if we'd replaced Murray with Abraham?".

Notably, Abraham played twice for England in November and since then he's been absolute toilet.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Of all the ParkRuns I’ve done on awayday weekends this season, Swansea was my favourite- lovely curving sea front course on the Bay and friendly banter from the locals, so I’ll miss that trip next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You're forgetting that Hughes will still be in charge of Southampton next year. They aren't going to improve that much.

If you look at his overall record there isn’t too much relegation form so I wouldn’t be too sure on that. The games I’ve watched since he took over they have not looked remotely like a relegation side and have been a little unlucky is some games. I think he’ll do OK there personally.

His points per game record, QPR apart, is not relegation numbers.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mark-hughes/profil/trainer/1646

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here