Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There’s something about Glenn Murray...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think my feelings on Glenn Murray this season are complex. All strikers miss chances, but some he has missed are the sort that clubs at our level can't afford to miss too often. Our inability to sign someone better last summer is a big disappointment and has potentially cost us (no, we're not currently in the relegation zone and, barring a set of results that could bankrupt the bookies, aren't likely to drop into it before the end of the season, but with every position in the table giving us £2m more than the one below it, how much better off would we be if we had someone putting away more of the chances we've had?). I think if we're looking for long term premier league success (defined as not looking over our shoulder all season, or even just post-Christmas), we need higher expectations for our 'star striker' than what Murray has been lauded by many fans for this season.

I don't want to take away from what he has achieved this season. His goals and general contribution is a big part of why we're not in the relegation zone. His experience definitely is an important thing to bring to the squad (and beyond - to the development squad etc). But I want more from our striker. Maybe with a full pre-season, and time to get to know his teammates better Locadia will be that man. Maybe it'll be a new signing this summer. But we still need someone to improve our forward line.

Of course Glenn should still have a place in the squad next year, it's not a case of 'we're done with you, begone!'. So how to use him? Glenn doesn't seem to me to be the sort of person who 'makes' goals. You don't think of him as a 'get the ball to him and he'll make something happen' player, he won't drop to collect the ball on the edge of the centre circle then go on mazy runs through and around defenders, he doesn't control play like a master puppeteer, etc, which would limit what use he'd be as a 'game changing sub'. If the problem is putting a finishing touch on the chances that we're creating, put him on and he'll do that. If the problem is their defence has our striker's number, he could make a help by virtue of being something different to adapt to, if the problem is a lack of form he's a suitable few games alternative to take the heat off our new main guy.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No not all, they've done a fantastic job over the last 3 years and I have no doubt we'll have a really good summer as well.
But there is no doubt there was a boo boo last summer re a striker.

Geoff Hurst in the WCF, 66. OK he scored 3 goals in the final, but I still think he could have run about a bit more in the semi final. The lazy ****.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
To be fair to Locadia, he has been given no opportunity to show what he could do in the central / lone striker role!!

I thought he said he wasn't very good at heading the ball which if true means he will be the number 10 or played out wide.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Geoff Hurst in the WCF, 66. OK he scored 3 goals in the final, but I still think he could have run about a bit more in the semi final. The lazy ****.

Phew and thank you, the Hurst taboo is finally broken.

My thoughts on Hurst, Rush, Lineker and Murray are fairly complex. OK, so they scored goals and achieved things, but people don't focus enough on the missed chances. Their clubs would have won more trophies / reached higher league positions without their profligacy in front of goal. Leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think my feelings on Glenn Murray this season are complex. All strikers miss chances, but some he has missed are the sort that clubs at our level can't afford to miss too often. Our inability to sign someone better last summer is a big disappointment and has potentially cost us (no, we're not currently in the relegation zone and, barring a set of results that could bankrupt the bookies, aren't likely to drop into it before the end of the season, but with every position in the table giving us £2m more than the one below it, how much better off would we be if we had someone putting away more of the chances we've had?). I think if we're looking for long term premier league success (defined as not looking over our shoulder all season, or even just post-Christmas), we need higher expectations for our 'star striker' than what Murray has been lauded by many fans for this season.

I don't want to take away from what he has achieved this season. His goals and general contribution is a big part of why we're not in the relegation zone. His experience definitely is an important thing to bring to the squad (and beyond - to the development squad etc). But I want more from our striker. Maybe with a full pre-season, and time to get to know his teammates better Locadia will be that man. Maybe it'll be a new signing this summer. But we still need someone to improve our forward line.

Of course Glenn should still have a place in the squad next year, it's not a case of 'we're done with you, begone!'. So how to use him? Glenn doesn't seem to me to be the sort of person who 'makes' goals. You don't think of him as a 'get the ball to him and he'll make something happen' he won't drop to collect the ball on the edge of the centre circle then go on mazy runs through and around defenders, he doesn't control play like a master puppeteer, etc, which would limit what use he'd be as a 'game changing sub'. If the problem is putting a finishing touch on the chances that we're creating, put him on and he'll do that. If the problem is their defence has our striker's number, he could make a help by virtue of being something different to adapt to, if the problem is a lack of form he's a suitable few games alternative to take the heat off our new main guy.

I don't watch MOTD very often but I see plenty of big name strikers missing chances. Murray is on 12 league goals (4 pens) and is rated 11th in the scorers table that's a lot better than a number of expensive players. Our goal scoring issues are not down to Murray. from what I have seen of Locadia , and yes that has not been a lot, he will struggle to get 12 next season ALTHOUGH I hoped I am proved wrong.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sadly the club will do it's usual and save money by holding onto strikers too long instead of buying the much needed upgrades.

Most (classless) managers watching their striker give up on a precise through ball, 30 yards from goal, would immediately turn to the directors box demanding a replacement.
Unfortunately for the Albion that's more likely to mean an extension.

The guy had worked his socks off and was f*cked , it was towards the end of the game and what he did not do is loose the ball , he won a free kick. Yes a more speedy player might have run onto the ball and taken a shot or dribbled round the keeper and scored or they might have lost the ball only for it to be belted up field and into our net. Murray has his weaknesses but he is and still will be a creditable striker next year.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't watch MOTD very often but I see plenty of big name strikers missing chances.

Yes, which is why I made sure to include that comment about all strikers missing chances!

Murray is on 12 league goals (4 pens) and is rated 11th in the scorers table that's a lot better than a number of expensive players. Our goal scoring issues are not down to Murray. from what I have seen of Locadia , and yes that has not been a lot, he will struggle to get 12 next season ALTHOUGH I hoped I am proved wrong.

No, they aren't all down to Murray, and I never said they were. To be honest, I probably could have said more, but was getting frustrated with writing the post (I keep getting an unresponsive thing on NSC today). Something I had intended to mention more explicitly but didn't get round to before posting is that part of the club's problem has been when Murray has had his barren spells (as all strikers get), we haven't had an alternative that could provide something else.

I personally think Hemed could have provided more goals if he was given more of a chance, but he wasn't. I'd like to think Locadia could, but he hasn't been used much (yet!). After Hemed's suspension most of his starts were against big teams like Chelsea and Tottenham, and he was given one start and then Murray was back. Locadia has been starting on the wing (and not always on his favoured side).

But if we're going to persist with one up front, we'll need an alternative. Someone to step in when that barren spell hits. Murray would be good in the role (or even as third alternative if we do really well in the transfer market this summer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Phew and thank you, the Hurst taboo is finally broken.

My thoughts on Hurst, Rush, Lineker and Murray are fairly complex. OK, so they scored goals and achieved things, but people don't focus enough on the missed chances. Their clubs would have won more trophies / reached higher league positions without their profligacy in front of goal. Leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

I'd go further.

Scum.

The lot of them. Fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Plus Murray's shy, so doesn't smile in public enough. Miserable scum.

Just in case there are some folk on here tonight who don't pick up on the withering irony, our little exchange here is withering irony. We LOVE Mr Murray and think our club is doing a damned fine job. This time this IS fact

And when I say LOVE I don't mean that I want to marry Glenn. He's taken TAKEN! The selfish BASTERD!!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just in case there are some folk on here tonight who don't pick up on the withering irony, our little exchange here is withering irony. We LOVE Mr Murray and think our club is doing a damned fine job. This time this IS fact

And when I say LOVE I don't mean that I want to marry Glenn. He's taken TAKEN! The selfish BASTERD!!!!

It's his blue eyes. Even raving hetero's at Selhurst love Murray.

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
So now Murray-fandom has died down a bit, what do we all think? How does he fit into the squad next season?

Personally Murray’s age doesn’t bother me, he’s never been quick and has an intelligence that means could offer something for a few years.

He’s still our best striker and Locadia is young and a long term investment rather than first 11 just yet. So unless we get someone in the summer window, which this last season has proved hard I think he’ll start next season and that doesn’t worry me at all...

Thoughts?
Yes. I agree.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Money may need to be spent in all departments what I do know I trust CH and TB and I get excited when we sign players. however I try to ignore the thousands of rumours which have now started who we are going to sign.:drama::fishing::nono:

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Money may need to be spent in all departments what I do know I trust CH and TB and I get excited when we sign players. however I try to ignore the thousands of rumours which have now started who we are going to sign.:drama::fishing::nono:

Don’t forget to mention Mr Winstanley

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What, the loser who brought us Gross, Propper, Izquierdo and Ryan? Surprised he's still robbing a living with us.

Seeing Gardener, Harley, Joe Bennett, Paynter all tearing up their respective leagues should be a wake up call to our current recruitment team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here