Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Most of us are in favour of organ donation right?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Some people don't want to opt out, because they want to donate.

They just don't like the idea that their body is property of the state. It is how it feels to them when the decision to opt in, is taken away.

Previous posters have dispelled the ‘property of the state’ myth better than I can. It really isn’t a scenario that would/could ever exist outside of a George Orwell novel.

A person that feels this way is demonstrating an irrational fear of imagined state powers, probably indicative of a lack of mental capacity, and ultimately rendering their organs unsuitable for transplant. They have nothing to fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
The priority is a dignified death for the potential donor, where his/her wishes are understood and acted on by all concerned. I honestly can’t see that changing.

But what comes next?

The relatives of the donor or the recipient who will have their life saved by the donation?

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Previous posters have dispelled the ‘property of the state’ myth better than I can. It really isn’t a scenario that would/could ever exist outside of a George Orwell novel.

A person that feels this way is demonstrating an irrational fear of imagined state powers, probably indicative of a lack of mental capacity, and ultimately rendering their organs unsuitable for transplant. They have nothing to fear.

Everyone deserves consideration evens those with mental health challenges

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're making a lot of assumptions there. Are you party to discussions I've had with my relatives? You can turn it into a selfish vs charitable argument if you like, but you know full well that it's not as black and white as that.

Actually no, I've taken your point about state control and flipped it around to say its the same state that will do everything to save your life.

I can accept a lot of reasons for not donating organs, and can respect people's reasons for it, but to suggest an opt-out policy is about state control I find hypocritical, which is the point I was making.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Actually no, I've taken your point about state control and flipped it around to say its the same state that will do everything to save your life.

I can accept a lot of reasons for not donating organs, and can respect people's reasons for it, but to suggest an opt-out policy is about state control I find hypocritical, which is the point I was making.

Well then we disagree. I find your conclusion too simplistic.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Only issue I have with this is when organs are used for "research" which leaves you to med students and their hilarious ways.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

The only good thing about the state is it will try it's hardest to keep you alive! Well I say state it's actually our amazing health-care workers

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I was joking. Seriously though, if you think the state can own you, well I'm not sure what to say.

It is the way it feels to some people. The state can decide what happens to their body organs when they are no longer capable of making their own decisions. I want to donate but can't as I am exempt. If I could donate, I would love to do so. But I want to gift them, not have the state decide I have to opt out or make no decision at all, leaving me unable to gift my organs.

It is the same for receiving an organ. The gift of life would be difficult for me, if I thought an organ I had received had not been actively decided to be gifted.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I honestly don't understand your question.

After considering the person dying, who is thought about as the next priority?

I.e. Person is dying and will die in the next two hours. Should the relatives live five hours away, do you decided to say we will wait for the relatives to arrive or say that they will be dead anyway so lets just save the recipient.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only issue I have with this is when organs are used for "research" which leaves you to med students and their hilarious ways.

I do hope you are joking. This is as way off the mark as suggesting that black people are cannibals. I teach medical students and do medical research and your picture of the actualité is more James Robertson Justice and Doctor On The Go (very 1950s - and even then it was fiction). :shrug:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I do hope you are joking. This is as way off the mark as suggesting that black people are cannibals. I teach medical students and do medical research and your picture of the actualité is more James Robertson Justice and Doctor On The Go (very 1950s - and even then it was fiction). :shrug:
Seems I touched a nerve I am talking from experience

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

I used to teach Med students about trauma management and I'd be lucky to get away without one of them defibbing me or stabbing me with a cannula.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is the way it feels to some people. The state can decide what happens to their body organs when they are no longer capable of making their own decisions. I want to donate but can't as I am exempt. If I could donate, I would love to do so. But I want to gift them, not have the state decide I have to opt out or make no decision at all, leaving me unable to gift my organs.

It is the same for receiving an organ. The gift of life would be difficult for me, if I thought an organ I had received had not been actively decided to be gifted.

This is all 'whatiffery' nonsense, sorry. It has no relationship with reality.

Anyway, back to your original premise: would I accept someone else's cock and balls? If it all had improved hydraulics, sensitivity and flying buttresses then, if needs dictated, definitely.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seems I touched a nerve I am talking from experience

In your experience, medical students abused human tissue donated for educational purposes? I hope you reported it. And what exactly was your experience?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here