Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Stopped at Ovingdean church for the obligatory Strava selfie at lunchtime while out on the bike...and a group of Pre School kids were also paying it a visit.
A young girl about 5 years old asked if I was Jesus as they walked past, which threw me a bit - but I made a quip about not carrying as much timber these days as Jesus did at Easter time.
Bit of a tumbleweed moment & I made a quick exit....

But the teacher was cute.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stopped at Ovingdean church for the obligatory Strava selfie at lunchtime while out on the bike...and a group of Pre School kids were also paying it a visit.
A young girl about 5 years old asked if I was Jesus as they walked past, which threw me a bit - but I made a quip about not carrying as much timber these days as Jesus did at Easter time.
Bit of a tumbleweed moment & I made a quick exit....

But the teacher was cute.

Was she implying you were in fact:-

Christ On A Bike?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Great race yesterday and well chuffed to see sexy Pete take the win.

Thanks for all the sympathetic kudoses by the way. I know I was terrible this weekend.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great race yesterday and well chuffed to see sexy Pete take the win.

Thanks for all the sympathetic kudoses by the way. I know I was terrible this weekend.

Considering the party atmosphere and the amount of beer that was flowing in Wevelgem yesterday, the result was met with a rather muted response by the locals, no doubt because not a single Belgiumist made it onto the podium.

I was quite happy with a Sagan win though, especially following what happened in E3.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can thoroughly recommend the Gent Wevelgem and E3 Harelbeke sportives to the house :)

This year's short route on E3 was a bit disappointing as it turned out it didn't include the Kwaremont or Paterberg like in previous years, but the longer 115km route did.

Loved GV, but E3 especially is where the real value potentially is for anyone considering going over in the future. Really quiet and yet if you do the longer routes you're pretty much covering all the Tour of Flanders climbs and cobbles but without the higher cost and the crowds.

P.S. Apologies for the picture coming out twice and round the wrong way.

Attachments

• 20180327_224942-1.jpg
    20180327_224942-1.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180327_224942-1.jpg
    20180327_224942-1.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 93

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can thoroughly recommend the Gent Wevelgem and E3 Harelbeke sportives to the house :)

This year's short route on E3 was a bit disappointing as it turned out it didn't include the Kwaremont or Paterberg like in previous years, but the longer 115km route did.

Loved GV, but E3 especially is where the real value potentially is for anyone considering going over in the future. Really quiet and yet if you do the longer routes you're pretty much covering all the Tour of Flanders climbs and cobbles but without the higher cost and the crowds.

P.S. Apologies for the picture coming out twice and round the wrong way.

You cycled both of these? Great stuff, well done.

When were they (how close in dates to each other) and did YOU do the longer or shorter routes.

I think we need a blow by blow account.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You cycled both of these? Great stuff, well done.

When were they (how close in dates to each other) and did YOU do the longer or shorter routes.

I think we need a blow by blow account.

I rode both the routes I've posted above. These are the stickers you can take to put on your top tube so you know what's coming up as you go round.

I went with armchair clubber. We watched the pros finish in Harelbeke on Friday, rode the Gent Wevelgem medium route on Saturday, then rode the short E3 route the following day and then a short ride back over to Wevelgem to watch the pros finish. We were a bit disappointed by the lack of climbs and cobbles in the short E3 route so armchair clubber made a decision on the hoof to take the medium E3 route so as to get the decent climbs and cobbles in. He's faster than me so had just enough time to do it. I was tempted but really didn't want to miss the pros finish in Wevelgem so I stuck with the short route. Also leaves me something to really look forward to next year as if I'm lucky enough to go again then I'll switch it round and go earlier and long on E3 after going short on GV.

I reckon it's possibly the best weekend you'll get in Flanders in terms of value for money and enjoyable rides. We were absolutely buzzing after both rides as the thrill of it is something else (as well you know anyway, having rode PR).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I rode both the routes I've posted above. These are the stickers you can take to put on your top tube so you know what's coming up as you go round.

I went with armchair clubber. We watched the pros finish in Harelbeke on Friday, rode the Gent Wevelgem medium route on Saturday, then rode the short E3 route the following day and then a short ride back over to Wevelgem to watch the pros finish. We were a bit disappointed by the lack of climbs and cobbles in the short E3 route so armchair clubber made a decision on the hoof to take the medium E3 route so as to get the decent climbs and cobbles in. He's faster than me so had just enough time to do it. I was tempted but really didn't want to miss the pros finish in Wevelgem so I stuck with the short route. Also leaves me something to really look forward to next year as if I'm lucky enough to go again then I'll switch it round and go earlier and long on E3 after going short on GV.

I reckon it's possibly the best weekend you'll get in Flanders in terms of value for money and enjoyable rides. We were absolutely buzzing after both rides as the thrill of it is something else (as well you know anyway, having rode PR).

Great stuff 10, how did the logistics work out for you, travel, hotel ect.

I ask because when looking into doing Flanders as the route isn't circular everything seemed like a bit of a ballache (although in reality I'm sure it isn't).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great stuff 10, how did the logistics work out for you, travel, hotel ect.

I ask because when looking into doing Flanders as the route isn't circular everything seemed like a bit of a ballache (although in reality I'm sure it isn't).

From what I can see of Tour of Flanders, the two long routes aren't circular, but the short and medium are (141km or 74km). I've also heard that it gets very very busy and this can be a problem on some of the cobbled climbs. In fact, that was my only down side on GV. I had to unclip on the Kemmelberg because I came up behind a big unit who then swerved and cut off my path. It wasn't the climb that defeated me as my legs were ok and I've climbed it twice before, just the crowds. I think Tour of Flanders is one of the pricier sportives too. Bare in mind routes seem to change from year to year, but you can have a read about it here: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/sportives/weekend-belgium-ride-tour-flanders-sportive-323608

Armchairclubber organised our weekend, and a cracking job he did of it too! This was the logistics:

Dover to Dunkirk ferry.
Dunkirk to accommodation in Kortrijk (about hour and half drive)

Kortrijk is a lovely city and quite literally a 10 minute ride to E3 Harelbeke start/finish, and 20 minute ride to GV start/finish.
Both sportives start and finish on the finish line of both pro races, so you get to see all that too.

I'd definitely advise making a long weekend of it. All in all the value for money for what you get is bloody excellent.

The hardest part of the journey for you would be the journey from lesser Sussex to Dover :lol: For us, it's almost down the road :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would say 'here you go [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION]' but as all they've done is read NSC for the advise, it hardly seems worth it :lolol: :-

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
I've signed up for the Puncheur Sportive, which will be my first cycling event

Any tips or advice? Especially riding in group as normally ride by myself.

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Sprint finish up Ditchling Beacon would be interesting.

Anyone else from here doing it?
See there is a feed station at 33 miles, now do I pull up a chair and get my moneys worth? or just a light nibble?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Pockets! That's what you need, lots of pockets. But, of course do be aware the whole field of riders will doubtless be arriving after you and may appreciate it if you left some food for them!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah food stations, yep fill your boots.
The Puncheur one was particularly fine a few years ago.

The only advise about group riding for a novice is to point out the potholes.
Chances are you won't be in from but the message needs to go down the line.

Everything else is important like parked cars and clear junctions but they don't crash up on people, like a pothole can.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I see 10 turned it on today. Shame I can't check it out properly.

Cheers [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. Under 6 months to go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here