Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex celebration pre Notts F game (flags for all!)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Surprised Club did not negotiate change with Sky in view of the exceptional travel issues.
Club must be losing the tv money to cover the extra transport facilities.
Does not look good for Sky for the game to be played in empty stadium

Sky run the show now, the club just bow down to them and let them move the Villa match to a Friday ( not Sat lunch or tea time KO )
Negotiating moving the match to a Saturday would have been good news for most of us, I really find it hard to believe we get the Friday slot for the Villa match without knowing how the train situation will work out.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I haven't missed a home game for 7 years and I didn't get an invite. Thought there would be quite a few like me to be honest.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Sky run the show now, the club just bow down to them and let them move the Villa match to a Friday ( not Sat lunch or tea time KO )
Negotiating moving the match to a Saturday would have been good news for most of us, I really find it hard to believe we get the Friday slot for the Villa match without knowing how the train situation will work out.

I agree. Sadly, I fear this is going to be par for the course this season, especially as we seem to be a Sky favourite. I know there are mixed views amongst our fans re Friday and Monday night games but I think that the vast majority of home and away fans still prefer the relaxed atmosphere of a Saturday 3pm KO when travel is easier, there's no 'work departure' stress, the roads are typically less busy and they can meet up with family and friends. Even a Saturday lunchtime or teatime KO would be preferable to a Friday or Monday night game. From a purely selfish perspective (I travel down to the Amex from the Midlands) midweek games are a total pain in the butt in terms of travel and so I had hoped, in vain, that the club would perhaps be more sensitive to the views of their travelling fans this season, especially given the SASTA wild card that hangs over many of us. It would appear that my optimism was somewhat misplaced.

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Brighton is a terrible choice for Friday live games as we've seen in recent times...Time sky changed them to Saturday evenings instead.People outside Brighton just don't like these Friday night travel rampage especially those north of Brighton.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I agree. Sadly, I fear this is going to be par for the course this season, especially as we seem to be a Sky favourite. I know there are mixed views amongst our fans re Friday and Monday night games but I think that the vast majority of home and away fans still prefer the relaxed atmosphere of a Saturday 3pm KO when travel is easier, there's no 'work departure' stress, the roads are typically less busy and they can meet up with family and friends. Even a Saturday lunchtime or teatime KO would be preferable to a Friday or Monday night game. From a purely selfish perspective (I travel down to the Amex from the Midlands) midweek games are a total pain in the butt in terms of travel and so I had hoped, in vain, that the club would perhaps be more sensitive to the views of their travelling fans this season, especially given the SASTA wild card that hangs over many of us. It would appear that my optimism was somewhat misplaced.

I'm always impressed with the effort fans like yourself make travelling to home games, it's clear to see from this forum how many travel long distances.
The club really need to wake up and realise how many fans they are making life difficult for with these Friday games.
I thought lessons have been learned with this weeks move, but obviously not.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm always impressed with the effort fans like yourself make travelling to home games, it's clear to see from this forum how many travel long distances.
The club really need to wake up and realise how many fans they are making life difficult for with these Friday games.
I thought lessons have been learned with this weeks move, but obviously not.

What do you expect the club to do?

The club want to put out a competitive team on the pitch vying for promotion. In order to do that they need revenue streams. Sky is one of the biggest revenue streams even at championship level. May sound like i'm reciting PB but it really is that simple, it ****s me off as well but the club isn't the villain here.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Thanks bn9 bha. I've only missed 9 home games in 5 years due solely to SASTA problems or bad weather! I thought I was 'up there' with my 310 mile home game round trip until I met a chap from Cheadle Hume in Manchester last week at Derby who is an Albion STH. Respect! :bowdown: On the plus side, when we play Brum away on a Saturday I'm usually home by 6pm. Villa away on the last day of the season is most welcomed! I'd be interested to learn of any other Albion fans living in the vicinity of Stratford upon Avon. Stratford Town Football Club is (kind of) my second team (average gate around 250) and they often show Brighton's live Sky games in their excellent bar, which is open to all comers and is really handy when I can't attend our televised away games.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

The club want to put out a competitive team on the pitch vying for promotion. In order to do that they need revenue streams. Sky is one of the biggest revenue streams even at championship level. May sound like i'm reciting PB but it really is that simple, it ****s me off as well but the club isn't the villain here.

Simple answer to your question that myself and [MENTION=34629]SUA Seagull[/MENTION] have already mentioned.
If a home game is being moved for Sky, move it to a Sat midday or tea time KO or a Sunday.
It's the moving games to a weekday I'm not happy about.

Do Sky dictate which day a game is moved to? I know the club have to take the money but a weekend is much better for fans especially those that live or work nowhere near Brighton.

If the club get a choice of which day they would like the game moved to and they CHOOSE Friday over a Saturday slot, they are the villain IMO.

Last edited:

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
That is true, especially when the club has so many 'captive' STHs and so the only offset to the Sky income is the loss of a limited amount of match day ticket revenue from non-STHs who may have come to watch the game and some lost food and beverage sales from both those fans and no-show STHs who've decided to watch the game on Sky. I fully understand and accept the club's commercial rationale for doing it, even if it does inconvenience a lot of the fans. Saturday lunchtime or teatime would be infinitely preferable to a Friday night though.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Simple answer to your question that myself and [MENTION=34629]SUA Seagull[/MENTION] have already mentioned.
If a home game is being moved for Sky, move it to a Sat midday or tea time KO or a Sunday.

Do Sky dictate which day a game is moved to? I know the club have to take the money but a weekend is much better for fans especially those that live or work nowhere near Brighton.

If the club get a choice of which day they would like the game moved to and they CHOOSE Friday over a Saturday slot, they are the villain IMO.

I actually prefer the Friday games as it leaves the weekend free, I can have a few beers and there is a better atmosphere. But not with the train fiasco. I absolutely hate Sunday games.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

The club want to put out a competitive team on the pitch vying for promotion. In order to do that they need revenue streams. Sky is one of the biggest revenue streams even at championship level.

Indeed. Personally it doesn't affect me whenever the game is played but I can understand peoples problems if they live considerable distances from the Amex.

Sometimes football clubs should remember that supporters are the biggest revenue stream.

Having said that if it was possible to ditch the tv deal coverage and the club put £100 on every season ticket to maintain the income people would be whinging about that too!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I actually prefer the Friday games as it leaves the weekend free, I can have a few beers and there is a better atmosphere. But not with the train fiasco. I absolutely hate Sunday games.

You're not helping Notters :) Paul Barber loves you by the way :whistle:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Errr...yes, they do. They pay the EFL millions of pounds in order to do this.

The club has NO SAY WHATSOEVER - Sky pay the money, we dance to their tune. Simple as.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
WSU and ESU Get Streamers from the party shops( thick ones) and hand them and chuck them when the team comes out. It keeps the cleaners in a job and looks good.Cheap skates tear up the argus.
In the old days it used to hard toilet rolls-paper c/o British Rail.:facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Indeed. Personally it doesn't affect me whenever the game is played but I can understand peoples problems if they live considerable distances from the Amex.

Sometimes football clubs should remember that supporters are the biggest revenue stream.

Having said that if it was possible to ditch the tv deal coverage and the club put £100 on every season ticket to maintain the income people would be whinging about that too!

Unfortunately with tv money, that isn't the case for quite a few clubs now.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Errr...yes, they do. They pay the EFL millions of pounds in order to do this.

The club has NO SAY WHATSOEVER - Sky pay the money, we dance to their tune. Simple as.

Genuine question E10, do you know that for a fact that Sky actually dictate the day?
Thanks for the reply if you have seen this written down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here