Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Got home this evening.........a rat in the garden.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You need one of these (as does, I suspect, [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION])

1200px-Franchi_SPAS-12_Shotgun.JPG

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Anyone who hasn't seen a rat in their garden just hasn't been looking at the right time. They are everywhere, and mostly quiet discreet and secretive. But if you keep seeing them in daylight you may well have a problem that needs a bit of dealing with.

We get them under our house quite a lot (part of it has a suspended floor with no concrete footings) and when they die there - or other parts of the house they can access from there - the smell is horrendous. We think we've finally sealed up the last possible place they could be entering but they're resourceful buggers.

Recently I've seen them in daylight hours in the garden and have invested in one of the electronic zappers mentioned in this thread, so far with no success - foxes smell the bait inside it and have fun tossing the thing around.

Poison is the way we've managed the problem so far but it's a fairly slow and unpleasant solution - at least in our case - as we end up living with rotting rats that we can't access.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So?

What's it going to do? Come in and steal your wife?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
harry with a mouse.jpeg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'd phone UB40. I'd imagine garden/kitchen - not much difference. All you gotta do is fix that rat, that's what you want to do. Wo, wo, wo, yeah.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

I beg to differ... My cats have caught two recently and brought them back to the dam flat.

One rat they caught and left half alive in the garden. I was standing over it with a brick as the rat was in a bad way but luckily nature took its coarse and the rat died.

The other time wasn't as pleasant. We came back home and the cats were looking under the sofa. So I looked under it, moved a few things and saw this great big rat looking at me. I opened the back door and made a path to guide the rat out the back door. I then moved the sofa and the rat ran just where i wanted it. Job done, I thought. The last i saw of the rat was in the kitchen. It moved so quickly i didn't actually see it go out the back door., but assumed it went out the back door. Later than evening in the middle of the kitchen was a bloody rat poo. The little ******* had only gone behind the washing machine and under the kitchen cabinets (the hardest place to ever get too) I ended up having to dismantle the cupboards to get to this rat that for some bizarre reason had died (maybe from shock)

For such resilient creatures both rats seemed to die fairly easy without any visible damage to them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
This is what I am hoping. Not happened yet though!!

she caught one just a few weeks ago and left it (huge) on the front lawn (showing off)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Lincoln Imp;7930473............. They should be killed instantly or trapped and then dealt with.[/QUOTE said:
Traps can be baited with a variety of food but peanut butter, caramel, chocolate and fish based products tend to work best.
Cage traps baited with the same foods are effective but it is important to remember that the rats will be caught alive. It is the users responsibility to dispose of the trapped rats, which can and most likely will bite if given the opportunity.
NOTE - It is illegal to knowingly release a live trapped rat.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I saw one belting across my lawn a few years ago. Turns out my batty neighbour had decided that she could put cooked food in her compost (despite my suggesting otherwise). She got the council round . . . .

Incidentally she asked me tonight if I could chop down the (3 foot high) very slow growing hedge in my front garden because she'd planted a rose that was not growing fast enough because of the shadow cast. 'Yeah, sure', I lied. :wozza::lolol:

well that's Kent for you :lolol: :rolleyes:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I tried to kill one that had got into our chicken house with a BBQ fork - feck me that was one hell of a battle. Those things can jump like you would not believe!

edit - for clarity, it was me who had the BBQ fork.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I tried to kill one that had got into our chicken house with a BBQ fork - feck me that was one hell of a battle. Those things can jump like you would not believe!

edit - for clarity, it was me who had the BBQ fork.

what happened to it? a rat bite can kill you btw

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...what am I gonna do
there's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna dooooooooooooooooo

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Imagine that it has a fluffy tail and pretend it's a big fat squirrel.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Traps can be baited with a variety of food but peanut butter, caramel, chocolate and fish based products tend to work best.
Cage traps baited with the same foods are effective but it is important to remember that the rats will be caught alive. It is the users responsibility to dispose of the trapped rats, which can and most likely will bite if given the opportunity.
NOTE - It is illegal to knowingly release a live trapped rat.

Probably a stupid question but what do you do with a live rat then if you're not allowed to release it ? Are we really expected to kill it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here