Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa-Wood

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I personally would have tried to get Wood as part of the Ulloa deal.

It's difficult if you want to get top dollar for one, but want cheap as chips to bring in another. No club will be inclined to do us any favours, but the best we can do is pick up players with potential from the lower leagues. Maybe we will have to wait until FFP kicks in when clubs are desperate to get rid of players, and players are desperate to find new clubs.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wood was okay for us and had good spells for Millwall and Leicester, but if we're serious about getting into the playoffs or better then we need to be aiming higher. He wasn't a Leicester regular last season, and would he have got into the Burnley, Derby or QPR teams?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is true, but that was Lewondowski ?
Im sure I have heard and read several quotes from people in the know.... that Sami want 3 front men with pace, guile and movement etc
Hence O'Grady not at present anyway being a starting option, more of a tactic changer should it be required.

I could be completely wrong ofcourse

If you could provide a source, this would be interesting and informative and, if you have read several quotations, it should be easy to provide it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's difficult if you want to get top dollar for one, but want cheap as chips to bring in another. No club will be inclined to do us any favours, but the best we can do is pick up players with potential from the lower leagues. Maybe we will have to wait until FFP kicks in when clubs are desperate to get rid of players, and players are desperate to find new clubs.

Why lower leagues? I both hope and think that Burke and Hyypia will be scouring continental Europe for a replacement. We've now got the cash to increase the range of options available. We also have the selling-point of Ulloa's transfer, as a stepping-stone or even as a vehicle to playing in a higher league, with the related wage increase. I'm confident that Burke and Hyypia will identify a good range of options, and nail one of the top few.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why lower leagues? I both hope and think that Burke and Hyypia will be scouring continental Europe for a replacement. We've now got the cash to increase the range of options available. We also have the selling-point of Ulloa's transfer, as a stepping-stone or even as a vehicle to playing in a higher league, with the related wage increase. I'm confident that Burke and Hyypia will identify a good range of options, and nail one of the top few.

Maybe, but I have adjusted my ambition settings to realistic mode for this season.

Nothing wrong with lower league players, Bournemouth came up with a great bunch of players with fight in them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe, but I have adjusted my ambition settings to realistic mode for this season.

Nothing wrong with lower league players, Bournemouth came up with a great bunch of players with fight in them.

Will we know what this is when the transfer window closes?

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
I suspect that his Leicester wage packet, has proved to be a bigger turn off. How about Stevie May at St Johnstone. He must be well within our budget now and whilst certainly not a ready made replacement for Ulloa, he could be worth a punt.

That is a good shout, young with a solid scoring rate, and although lots of the strikers like Boyd/Hooper/Miller flopped in the English leagues they were considerable older. If we pay little we dont have much to lose and he could turn out like McCormack. Also that is a haircut we need at this team.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So was I imagining the blinder he scored against us at the Amex for Millwall ( one of two goals he got that night ) ?

He did well at Millwall, not so well at Birmingham before that, or since at Leicester. Maybe Jackett knows how to get the best out if him.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This is true, but that was Lewondowski ?
Im sure I have heard and read several quotes from people in the know.... that Sami want 3 front men with pace, guile and movement etc
Hence O'Grady not at present anyway being a starting option, more of a tactic changer should it be required.

I could be completely wrong ofcourse

Well so do I. Sort of banking on it to the tune of over £650.

I was fed up of the style and hoofing it to Ulloa. Not entirely but too much and too predictable.

I would like to think that Buckley, Lualua and Mackail-Smith could produce this fluid strike force, but I have my doubts on all three. Buckley because of injury, Lualua cause of lack of guile, and Macca cause of missing too many chances. Still we have Solly March who can deputise for Buckley or Lualua or even for Forster-Caskey. And O'Grady to come on for plan B, or even start.

My three new players would be a keeper, left back (Stephen Ward preferred) and a stopper centre half. Loan would be a midfielder (to cover injuries of Stephens and Crofts) and a new striker would be fifth choice for me.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Did we learn nothing from the savaging Derby gave us.... slooooow is not the way to go.
I can only assume that those other posters didnt witness the two Derby games,... didnt see how quick offensive players ripped through us time and time again,.... Wood is slow,... if we go for a slow players, lets have a muscular tall centre forward who can hold up, lay off and challenge the centre halves physically.... I dont think wood is any of those.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I hope that we do not chase after Wood as he is not the answer to a team with aspirations of the Premier. Slow with very little ability

Based on what exactly? - your view of him when he was with us and aged about 18?

How many players that young are at their peak? Both physically (strength, stamina, etc) and in terms of ability, experience and just about anything else you would use as a measure of a player.

He isn't the same player he was for us back then and i think he could well do a good job for us.

The stumbling block would likely be wages and / or transfer fees. He went to Leicester from West Brom for a fee that could rise to £2m before he became established as a Championship level player so i doubt we'd pick him up for a small fee, Leicester may view him as a long term investment and be unwilling to let him go.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We've got over £10 million to spend, £2m is the kind of fee we should be looking to pay for a striker, if not more!

Why?

Arn't there bargains to be had out there and a big(gish) transfer fee doesn't mean that they will be a success or that we will be able to cash in on them later

How much did we pay for Zamora? (or Ulloa for that matter)) - should we have spent a couple of Million more on another player just because it would have cost us more (and assume that the higher the fee, the better the player is?)

If we can buy low and sell high, then it will help us to have a deeper squad with better players overall rather than a couple of good ones and the rest made up of players just making up the numbers.

The more you spend on a fee, the less you have for wages so it's not necessarily a good thing.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Wood was okay for us and had good spells for Millwall and Leicester, but if we're serious about getting into the playoffs or better then we need to be aiming higher. He wasn't a Leicester regular last season, and would he have got into the Burnley, Derby or QPR teams?

And based on the comments about his time here (when very young for a pro footballer), he was deemed not good enough to play for Championship sides like Millwall and Leicester ever - so who knows if he will be good enough for the top flight one day and if he is, how soon that would be.

There again, those who questioned the players ability to play at a higher level that they were when with us also said the same about players including the likes of Murray, Vokes, Noone and so on............

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I suspect that his Leicester wage packet, has proved to be a bigger turn off. How about Stevie May at St Johnstone. He must be well within our budget now and whilst certainly not a ready made replacement for Ulloa, he could be worth a punt.

I keep banging the drum for Stevie May, he's not a big lad 5'10", and very mobile can use both feet and play out wide, he is quite similar in style to CMS in my opinion, maybe that's why were not going for him but I think we should, he certainly knows where the goal is!

I have seen people say that Sami prefers a front 3 of 3 strikers rather than two wide men, if that is true, we should be moving heaven and earth to get this lad, someone like Bechio or even COG, with CMS and May buzzing around either side would certainly keep defenders on their toes and with the right service all 3 can score.

The last I heard May wants to stay at St.Johnstone but..... as far as I'm aware his contract is up in 2015, so that decision may well be taken out of his hands.

He has attracted interest previously from Peterborough (and we all know they can spot a striker) and QPR, but nothing has ever come of it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I keep banging the drum for Stevie May, he's not a big lad 5'10", and very mobile can use both feet and play out wide, he is quite similar in style to CMS in my opinion, maybe that's why were not going for him but I think we should, he certainly knows where the goal is!

I have seen people say that Sami prefers a front 3 of 3 strikers rather than two wide men, if that is true, we should be moving heaven and earth to get this lad, someone like Bechio or even COG, with CMS and May buzzing around either side would certainly keep defenders on their toes and with the right service all 3 can score.

The last I heard May wants to stay at St.Johnstone but..... as far as I'm aware his contract is up in 2015, so that decision may well be taken out of his hands.

He has attracted interest previously from Peterborough (and we all know they can spot a striker) and QPR, but nothing has ever come of it.

I like the sound of that. Have to agree with your Posh comment. They certainly know how to spot a striker.

Maybe we should go for Assombalonga... if nothing else, Barber would love the extra letters he could flog as part of shirt sales! ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here