Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And here's another reason why Barber's explanation doesn't stack up.

Why is it only NOW that flasks have become a "safety and security" issue? Has there been some kind of revolution in flasks that now makes them so much more dangerous from a "safety and security" perspective than last season....or the season before...or the one before that?

More Barber BS. At least he could be honest in stating his reasons for banning flasks.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It follows on from the "no liquids" policy you get at some events / festivals. The only motivation for this change is to force you to buy inside the event at inflated prices. Of course, Barber has ignored the long queues and appalling service at the kiosks ever since the Amex opened so I have not a clue what he is expecting to achieve with this ridiculous policy. It isn't going to generate much, if any, additional income for the club but it will generate a lot of ill will from the fans.

Well done Barber.

I have been following the Albion for getting on for 50 years and I have NEVER come across a "flask related security issue". Bet Barber hasn't either. Nothing to do with security and all to do with money.

Agreed . There’s a perfectly legitimate case to be made that the club are overstating the risk - and the policy is heavy handed even “ridiculous”. Although we are probably not aware of the intelligence that the police have used to presumably make this recommendation. Also although some clubs have a ban, many do not. I brought a flask and will miss it in the winter. It’s a frustrating move. I’d like to understand it better.

But why all the other stuff. Barber hasn’t ignored the long queues or service - he clearly frets about it - see emails passim (if he’s out to make money then why would he ?) , says this isn’t about getting people like me to buy more tea - “nonsense” he says (hardly worth the bother if that’s the case anyway as you acknowledge) and is lying about the security reasons (why ?).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My follow up response from them which is contrary to their previous gumph - no thermos flasks of any kind is now the rule. Make it up as you go along ......

The safety of spectators is of our paramount importance. This isn’t a new ruling and many clubs have adopted this in previous seasons.

I am sorry you remain unhappy however whilst your feedback is noted I confirm there will be no deviation from this club policy. You would be ill advised to bring alternative thermos flasks as these are likely to be confiscated.

Can you please post that reply along with the relevant question you asked?

Prior to this, the club said 'Flasks, glass and metal containers'. Have they now clarified their point regarding plastic?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What absolute bollox whoever performed the security risk assessment and mitigation plan needs sacking. How high is the risk on a flask, a good risk plan will work down from high to low and manage the implementation of said plan.
This would include a review of the body searches as you enter the ground, which are completely pointless, I could have had a nuclear warhead and 6 terrorists in my pockets on Sunday and they would have missed them.
This is all about money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
This thread sums up a lot about the Albion behind the scenes today. I'm really sad that someone is so small minded has time to come up with this stuff. A sure sign that the transfer window is closed and the hierarchy can go back to harassing the supporters again. One day PB might just need the fans - oh no, he'll be gone of course to some new greater challenge - and some other poor soul will have to wind back on all this crap just to get people to come back again.

If you want to ban people bringing in food and drink then offer affordable, high quality fare with outstanding service that many other events do - not poor quality over-priced rubbish. You admit that the sale of drinks and food etc currently has no bearing on the club's profitability - therefore - do it properly.

Have you even thought of the profile of people who bring flasks of hot drinks to the stadium on freezing nights ? Security with some common sense would easily spot the interloper from Raqqa.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They are banned at Wimbledon. This is a general response to the boston marathon bombing I suspect, but of course that wasn't in a stadium.

The oddness of English football is of course they ban things that are generally not used as weapons and fail to stop things coming in that generally are.

There is also the possibility that the club have been made aware of a particular threat by the authorities and are acting upon it. Perfume presumably allowed, flasks not.

If they have decided to ban metal ones, they can't really be checking for plastic ones.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
i bring my dead Alfs ashes to the stadeium in a flask as i feels as if hes still with me at matches and now the do gooders won’t let me because their PC or wotnot and it wont be the same enjoyament in future

Bring back the birch for them if you ask me with there liberal lefty ways

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have you even thought of the profile of people who bring flasks of hot drinks to the stadium on freezing nights ? Security with some common sense would easily spot the interloper from Raqqa.

I think your average terrorist woud make a bit of an effort to blend in if he/she was going to attempt something evil at the Amex.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What absolute bollox whoever performed the security risk assessment and mitigation plan needs sacking. How high is the risk on a flask, a good risk plan will work down from high to low and manage the implementation of said plan.
This would include a review of the body searches as you enter the ground, which are completely pointless, I could have had a nuclear warhead and 6 terrorists in my pockets on Sunday and they would have missed them.
This is all about money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think this is the issue really. personally if they have been intelligence to say that flasks present a real threat then I can understand them banning them. However if you are going to take security seriously then the searches need to be a lot lot better than they currently are or otherwise what is the point. If I wanted to I could smuggle all sorts in. Palace game is a clear example of searching not working. Personally I'd advocate an airport style screening. It's inevitably going to happen.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Perfume presumably allowed, flasks not.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

At the Euros in France they were not allowing hardly any make up/perfume in through the turnstiles. All ladies were being frisked and having copious amounts removed and put in a black bag. Mrs Giraffe was not very happy but I found it funny. Fairly sure said items would be appearing at the market the next day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think your average terrorist woud make a bit of an effort to blend in if he/she was going to attempt something evil at the Amex.

Equally we took some Syrian friends a couple of seasons ago. They responded to being treated like everyone else by not blowing the whole joint sky high. Incredible really.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think this is the issue really. personally if they have been intelligence to say that flasks present a real threat then I can understand them banning them. However if you are going to take security seriously then the searches need to be a lot lot better than they currently are or otherwise what is the point. If I wanted to I could smuggle all sorts in. Palace game is a clear example of searching not working. Personally I'd advocate an airport style screening. It's inevitably going to happen.

I really hope it doesn't. That's the sledgehammer to crack a nut approach. At Terminal 5 now they advise you to arrive three hours before a long haul flight and I was pulled a couple of weeks ago for wearing a mosquito repellant wrist band. If you want to arrive at the ground at 12:00 for a 3pm kick off and get taken to bits by security you go ahead but that will be me at home with the lads and a crate of beers and dodgy stream.

At the Euros in France they were not allowing hardly any make up/perfume in through the turnstiles. All ladies were being frisked and having copious amounts removed and put in a black bag. Mrs Giraffe was not very happy but I found it funny. Fairly sure said items would be appearing at the market the next day.

On the other hand I have no doubt this happens. We once had batteries and lighters taken off us in an Indian airport. Just the other side of the security check was a little stall selling batteries and lighters.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I really hope it doesn't. That's the sledgehammer to crack a nut approach. At Terminal 5 now they advise you to arrive three hours before a long haul flight and I was pulled a couple of weeks ago for wearing a mosquito repellant wrist band. If you want to arrive at the ground at 12:00 for a 3pm kick off and get taken to bits by security you go ahead but that will be me at home with the lads and a crate of beers and dodgy stream.

This sort of supports the argument for a complete ban on flasks, as opposed to examining/sniffing the contents of each one by an untrained security person.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Yes, I can see the security concerns. But as others have pointed out, currently legal items that are allowed to be carried in to the stadium could possibly also be adapted.

I even remember reading about a 'terrorist' sticking a phone up his backside, going to meet some Sheikh in the Middle East and his terrorist mate activating said phone as an explosive item.

So, from a personal point of view, I'm willing to take a risk that the bloke that sits next to me every game hasn't got Semtex in his flask or Semtex in his bum and is going to blow me to smithereens when his phone rings.

If said incident happens, then that is the variance of life/death/injury that we all take when we leave the house every morning.

If 'bum bomber' doesn't get me at the football, he might get me on the No.25 bus.

Of course it's serious frightening stuff if it does happen, but do we really want to cower from these cowards?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The crux of the matter is that IF it is done for security reasons why was it not done pre Nantes game? The risk is no higher and much the same now as it was then.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The crux of the matter is that IF it is done for security reasons why was it not done pre Nantes game? The risk is no higher and much the same now as it was then.

This is a nonsense 'argument' - why is anything done at any point?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

or notices up Sunday and effective immediately. Probably waiting for Caterers to stock up on tea, coffee and Bovril first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here