Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I didn't post when I saw the team sheet yesterday because I was already at the ground, but we did have a discussion on the concourse at about 3:02 and universally agreed how disappointed/underwhelmed we were after Watford last week that there weren't more changes - particularly in respect of March and Murray. Discussion wasn't so much writing the team off, more just an air of disappointment, and a bit of resignation, with the Watford debacle fresh in the mind and virtually the same line-up going out. Virtually everyone I spoke to thought the same - especially those that were at Watford.

Maybe Piglets should add a special 'Humble' to the list so we can grab a slice after the game :)

At least you're happy to put your hands up, so fair play.

After-timing for sure, but no such humble pie for me. We saw the line up on my phone as we walked across from the Uni car park at 2pm. My Dad commented along the lines of yourself above - distinctly underwhelmed. I disagreed and pointed out that this was basically the team that beat United in our last home game, and that they'd not become a bad team overnight, and deserved a chance to put it right. Fortunately Chris Hughton saw it that way too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

After-timing for sure, but no such humble pie for me. We saw the line up on my phone as we walked across from the Uni car park at 2pm. My Dad commented along the lines of yourself above - distinctly underwhelmed. I disagreed and pointed out that this was basically the team that beat United in our last home game, and that they'd not become a bad team overnight, and deserved a chance to put it right. Fortunately Chris Hughton saw it that way too.

I posted on the way home asking who was putting the humble pie order in - wanted to get in quick before it all went. Think demand was (or should have been anyway) quite high :blush:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't post when I saw the team sheet yesterday because I was already at the ground, but we did have a discussion on the concourse at about 3:02 and universally agreed how disappointed/underwhelmed we were after Watford last week that there weren't more changes - particularly in respect of March and Murray. Discussion wasn't so much writing the team off, more just an air of disappointment, and a bit of resignation, with the Watford debacle fresh in the mind and virtually the same line-up going out.
That all sounds about right and fair enough. And no doubt you were all delighted that Chris knew better than us.

Maybe Piglets should add a special 'Humble' to the list so we can grab a slice after the game :)
They should fire it at us through cannons!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Er.

Firstly, why would he be embarrassed when he wasn't one of the people predicting a thumping and that CH didn't know what he was doing with team selection? He's got nothing to be embarrassed about.

Secondly, there WERE plenty of people who were embarrassed by their posts as evidenced by the number of "happy to eat humble pie" etc posts after being proved wrong.

Not all the posts were embarrassing, but some, from the usual negative twats, really were. I highlighted one earlier in the thread. People who never have anything positive to say about the Albion (or anything generally).

It's correct to mock that sort of thing when they end up with football pie all over their SHIRTS.
Embarrassed for being the sort of pillock who thinks other people should be embarrassed because he thinks he is the arbiter of what's embarrassing. He's not the only one, is he?

Nothing embarrassing about having a bad feeling about a forthcoming match and then being delighted when an unexpected win arrives. In fact it's rather a nice feeling, only (very marginally) spoilt by numpties who seem to think that anyone who was concerned before the match should be embarrassed. Bollox!.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That all sounds about right and fair enough. And no doubt you were all delighted that Chris knew better than us.
Yes, it did sound about right and fair enough. As did a huge majority of the pre-match discussion posts. Not a single 'Hughton out' to be seen - as it should be. Yes - and all those concerned/worried/disappointed were delighted with the win, and glad that Chris got it right and we got it wrong.

But cause for embarrassment (as some of the more smug smugger-than-thou merchants would have it?) No way. We will soon discuss team line ups for Liverpool, and some will agree with the selection CH makes, and some will not be happy with it (while universally acknowledging that Chris knows more about it than any of us). And that is how it should be. Not embarrassing at all.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Where's the match report with art?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Utter bollox. Embarrassing would have been 'Hughton out', or 'we're going to be relegated/beat Derby's record/not get another point all season'. 'We were crap at Watford' was true, not an embarrassing thing to say. We are worried about the outcome of the next match? - fair comment; concerned/disappointed with that team selection?......simple truth. In the end it turned out to be a successful team selection - good; indeed, it turned out to be very very good! No cause for embarrassment though. You carry on being embarrassed if you think it's the right thing to do or it makes you feel better - don't think many others will bother..

You're wrong. As usual.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yes, it did sound about right and fair enough. As did a huge majority of the pre-match discussion posts. Not a single 'Hughton out' to be seen - as it should be. Yes - and all those concerned/worried/disappointed were delighted with the win, and glad that Chris got it right and we got it wrong.

But cause for embarrassment (as some of the more smug smugger-than-thou merchants would have it?) No way. We will soon discuss team line ups for Liverpool, and some will agree with the selection CH makes, and some will not be happy with it (while universally acknowledging that Chris knows more about it than any of us). And that is how it should be. Not embarrassing at all.

Ha. I've hit a nerve. :ascarf:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Embarrassed for being the sort of pillock who thinks other people should be embarrassed because he thinks he is the arbiter of what's embarrassing. He's not the only one, is he?

Nothing embarrassing about having a bad feeling about a forthcoming match and then being delighted when an unexpected win arrives. In fact it's rather a nice feeling, only (very marginally) spoilt by numpties who seem to think that anyone who was concerned before the match should be embarrassed. Bollox!.

Your anger is misplaced. As I already said, there were decent concerns and there were total dicks talking negative rubbish. Calling out the dicks is fair and correct. That's all that's happened.

I think you should take a few minutes, sit down with a beverage of your choice and reread the thread. Oh and calm down a bit.

Regards,

LL

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albion’s centre-back was under the impression that the Premier League would be faster than the Bundesliga after leaving Mainz on a free transfer, although his observations about United’s attacking approach probably revealed more about José Mourinho’s methods than the overall state of English football.

How long can Manchester United be allowed to drift under José Mourinho?

It was a dismal effort from United and Balogun said the game would probably be played at a quicker pace when Brighton visit Anfield on Saturday. “Some of the lads have just asked me that too and I said I had expected the Premier League to be quicker, but they told me this is always the kind of game you play against United,” the Nigeria defender said. “They like to slow it down a little bit sometimes. Liverpool is going to be completely different. I know how [Jürgen] Klopp likes to play. It’s going to be a lot quicker and a lot more intense.”https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...n-shocked-at-manchester-uniteds-slow-football

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Man U fan’s response to Shearer’s ‘team of the week’.....

f2a35ba7de4992ab982e884f4d2fa9cf.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here