Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus throws a strop at Bordeaux (looks like a French glass ceiling)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As of the 1st of August, Bordeaux were the only club in the top 5 leagues not to have signed any player at all. This has irritated the ever-outspoken Poyet, who has publicly laid the blame for the lack of arrivals on the board through recent press conferences and, more inventively, in his team selections.

Such was Poyet’s desperation for new arrivals that his starting eleven for a Europa League qualifying match, the first leg against Latvian outfit Ventspils, took an unlikely shape. In what seemed to be a message to the management regarding his striking options, the Uruguayan lined up box-to-box midfielder Younousse Sankharé to spearhead the attack, despite having strikers Gaëtan Laborde and Nicolas de Préville on the bench.

While they would go on to win, Poyet’s statement was not well received by Nicolas de Tavernost, president of the French TV channel M6 that owns Bordeaux. Speaking to regional newspaper Sud-Ouest, he lamented that his manager was “risking European qualification over a message”, and that “we can’t let this sort of thing become a regular occurrence […] if he hasn’t got my number, then Stéphane Martin [club president] can give it to him.”

more here: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.co...testing-by-playing-a-midfielder-as-a-striker/

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...oh well. I'm sure there are some nice golf courses in Bordeaux.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Thought he had a strop at the crappy airport and roadworks-vile dump.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
C'est complique. Un plafond de verre, peut-etre?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The great irony for me is that being the manager at our club is now a more prestigious job than anything Poyet has done since he left.

Wonder if he has any regrets at all?

GP certainly doesn't seem to have reined in his ego one little bit, despite his somewhat less than stellar managerial career.

Starting to think he may actually have mental health issues. Not that I would wish that on anyone. Obviously.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doesn’t learn does he? Slagging off the board only has one result and it’s Gus out the door

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The great irony for me is that being the manager at our club is now a more prestigious job than anything Poyet has done since he left.

Wonder if he has any regrets at all?

I think we can safely say the club hasn't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As of the 1st of August, Bordeaux were the only club in the top 5 leagues not to have signed any player at all.
Who have Spurs signed?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I recall when you all loved him, I did warn you all.

Never loved him, loved some of the football we played under him and enjoyed the Championship in League One. He always looked at us as a stepping stone and my irritation at his constant touting of himself got me plenty of “snowflake” type comments on here :smile:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is he still dragging Oatway round the world with him out of favour because he got him the sack ?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
In fairness, because we all love a good Gus bashing now we've proved him wrong, Bordeaux did sell their best player to Barcelona for €41 million. If that was us and we hadn't signed ANYBODY there would be no toys left in the Albion pram.

And for those saying you never loved him, you are all liars with short memories. Sealing promotion by winning a 7 goal thriller at the theatre of trees, a 97th minute winner in our opening league game at the Amex and getting to see Vicente in the stripes. It may have ended in pretty petty fashion but it was bloody fun whilst it lasted!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I recall when you all loved him, I did warn you all.

Well look at YOU Mr Visionary! :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, You Were Not Alone. Far from it. IMHO his greatest achievement by far was to teach Adam El-Abd and T Elphick (like toddlers learning to walk at the age of 20+) to play the ball on the ground, half a dozen times, to each other, square across the back against lowly opposition, then back to the keeper, who would then aimlessly hoof the ball up the pitch instead of either of them doing it. Total football YAY! :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here