Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Boris's Latest Distraction Wheeze : A Bridge across the Channel ?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
There actually isn't any direct quote of Boris saying this. A report about his musing in private really isn't the same as a policy statement. Typical BBC bias reporting.

Anyone seen reported that the NHS are now saying that the winter crisis is going and they coping well? It's tucked away at the end of their online report on flu, but instead of headlining it like they did when it started it doesn't even get a mention in the news.

So the media is biased *against* the Tories? Riiigghhttttt.....

And the Boris bridge story is in every media outlet, not just the BBC. And yes he did actually say it.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
In the event of a major accident on the road bridge, inevitable with the weather conditions. How would any accident be dealt with, from where and by whom?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
BBC going big on Boris's latest idea of a bridge built to France. We can't seem to build a by-pass round Worthing or get HS2 moving so how the hell will we do this when the country is allegedly skint ? Boris has form for grand ideas that cost a packet and don't get made, see The Garden Bridge and Boris Island for examples, what a pillock.

The whole concept of white male privilege currently in vogue annoys me because most white males do not have any more power or privilege than most other people but people like Boris ARE proof that it does exist with a certain type of white male - public-school, old money, connections. The bloke is a f*ckwit of the highest order.

Aside from anything else, the problem has already been solved by the tunnel and the English Channel is the second busiest waterway in the world and can get very choppy - 30 ft waves sometimes. He's an embarrassment.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The whole concept of white male privilege currently in vogue annoys me because most white males do not have any more power or privilege than most other people but people like Boris ARE proof that it does exist with a certain type of white male - public-school, old money, connections. The bloke is a f*ckwit of the highest order.

Aside from anything else, the problem has already been solved by the tunnel and the English Channel is the second busiest waterway in the world and can get very choppy - 30 ft waves sometimes. He's an embarrassment.

He is clueless indeed Buzzer, it was funny watching him play in a footy match once and kind of funny watching him buy water canons which cant be deployed. He's in cloud cuckoo land and we should bring back spitting image just for him and Trump

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He is clueless indeed Buzzer, it was funny watching him play in a footy match once and kind of funny watching him buy water canons which cant be deployed. He's in cloud cuckoo land and we should bring back spitting image just for him and Trump

He and Trump are immune to Spitting Image. He plays a caricature of himself already. He shouldn't be in office.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm coming around to the opinion that there ought to be quotas and affirmative action for selecting our politicians. A cap on those who come from a legal, trade union or SPAD route and priority for those who didn't go to Oxbridge and have had a career outside of politics. Sons and daughters of politicians wishing to enter Parliament to have to have some qualifying experience as a home help, special constable, working in a day care centre or hospital porter.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would have to have two tunnels mid channel to allow them to cross each other to change driving on the left to driving on the right and vice versa.
Does that mean the fast lane becomes the slow lane suddenly and people have to slam on the anchors, or floor it if they are pootling along?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the event of a major accident on the road bridge, inevitable with the weather conditions. How would any accident be dealt with, from where and by whom?

Don't worry, it can't be built because it is unaffordable. If it was it would be constructed with large " islands " every few miles for emergency vehicles and facilities, probably sponsored by McDonald's or Pepsi.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
9E79ED20-97BF-408B-A557-DBF2E38D2682.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm coming around to the opinion that there ought to be quotas and affirmative action for selecting our politicians. A cap on those who come from a legal, trade union or SPAD route and priority for those who didn't go to Oxbridge and have had a career outside of politics. Sons and daughters of politicians wishing to enter Parliament to have to have some qualifying experience as a home help, special constable, working in a day care centre or hospital porter.

Radical but interesting thoughts.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Wasnt this idea muted and discarded prior to the building of the tunnel?

I strongly suspect it wasn’t even considered. Building a tunnel is a piece of piss compared to building a bridge across the channel.

First thing to consider is that a cargo ship is about 150ft above the water line so the bridge would need to be at least 170ft in height, plus another 20-30 ft to take into account of sea swell. In a world of stupid ideas this is biblical!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I've long been for the idea that our second chamber shouldn't be elected or selected but should comprise 200 people, selected randomly across the country but no-one who's a member of a political party or who works for a think-tank or as a SPAD would be eligible to stand. Everyone serves for two years and it would be illegal to sack someone for taking on the role. That should give us a few people with practical life experience.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've long been for the idea that our second chamber shouldn't be elected or selected but should comprise 200 people, selected randomly across the country but no-one who's a member of a political party or who works for a think-tank or as a SPAD would be eligible to stand. Everyone serves for two years and it would be illegal to sack someone for taking on the role. That should give us a few people with practical life experience.

That is an excellent idea but why only for 2 years? What's the thinking behind that? Personally, I'd go for a new 2nd chamber with every new government.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Would we have to drive on the right or left on this bridge??

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Great idea! Bit like jury service but Lords service instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here