Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As Al said, we have discussed the possibility of doing a 'live show' which would be an audience with style thing.

It would be from a central Brighton location tho and we would have to charge for it.

We dont actually know how many people would be interested in in thogh

How about this...

You sometimes record the show ahead of time and then broadcast the recording in your usual slot so, presumably, you could do the same for a show with an audience.

I imagine if you found a pub with a reasonable sized room, they'd let you have the room for free as you'd be bringing people through the door who would buy beer. As such, you could look to record on what would otherwise be a quiet midweek night for the pub. If you had a guest that held appeal for Albion fans to meet etc - someone like Gary Hart of Adam Virgo (is he due to come back at some point?) then I'd imagine you'd get a few people along.

The only challenge then would be having the equipment required to make a recording of the quality needed. I don't know if you have that, or have access to it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How about this...

You sometimes record the show ahead of time and then broadcast the recording in your usual slot so, presumably, you could do the same for a show with an audience.

With you so far...

I imagine if you found a pub with a reasonable sized room, they'd let you have the room for free as you'd be bringing people through the door who would buy beer. As such, you could look to record on what would otherwise be a quiet midweek night for the pub. If you had a guest that held appeal for Albion fans to meet etc - someone like Gary Hart of Adam Virgo (is he due to come back at some point?) then I'd imagine you'd get a few people along.

Yup.

The only challenge then would be having the equipment required to make a recording of the quality needed. I don't know if you have that, or have access to it.

... which is the killer at present. As I said before Reverb's OB facilities are limited. With the kind donations from NSC, we have been looking to possibly purchase some recording equipment and software. However, we'd need to know that it would not be a one-off consideration that falls flat on its arse first time around. We'd have to do an awful lot of 'suck-it-and-see'-type stuff, which we're not against.

But the first consideration must be, would people be interested. This leads us on to the main question...

Would anyone like to come along to a live recording of The Albion Roar - whether paying a nominal sum, or free?

Over to you.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
As Al said, we have discussed the possibility of doing a 'live show' which would be an audience with style thing.

It would be from a central Brighton location tho and we would have to charge for it.

We dont actually know how many people would be interested in in thogh

Only one way to find out and that's to give it a trail run. I'd more than happy to pay to be in attendance and it's another way of helping you to fund the show. I know Bozza has donated to the show (NSC) till the end of March or April I think but not to sure without looking. It's a great show and would think you'd get listeners turning up in person so give it ago, you'll never know till you do a test run.

How much does it cost out of interest to run these Albion roars? Do you have to dip into your own pockets? I don't mean to intrude but if you are then it would be nice for other Albion fans to help out and keep this great show going for the foreseeable future.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
... which is the killer at present. As I said before Reverb's OB facilities are limited. With the kind donations from NSC, we have been looking to possibly purchase some recording equipment and software. However, we'd need to know that it would not be a one-off consideration that falls flat on its arse first time around. We'd have to do an awful lot of 'suck-it-and-see'-type stuff, which we're not against.

But the first consideration must be, would people be interested. This leads us on to the main question...

Would anyone like to come along to a live recording of The Albion Roar - whether paying a nominal sum, or free?

Over to you.

I would come to a live recording, so long as it was free, and good beer was available.

But more to the point, why not rent the gear? In fact I have a relation who used to be in exactly that business, might be worth looking into.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think the draw of an Albion 'hero' would encourage a fair few. It would also be a bit of a social occasion - once the show is done, people will hang around for a beer and a chat.

Also, if the guest was an Albion hero, then once your one hour recording is done and the microphone is off, you could do another Q&A with questions from the floor where, perhaps, things could be said that are not really broadcastable.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Only one way to find out and that's to give it a trail run. I'd more than happy to pay to be in attendance and it's another way of helping you to fund the show. I know Bozza has donated to the show (NSC) till the end of March or April I think but not to sure without looking. It's a great show and would think you'd get listeners turning up in person so give it ago, you'll never know till you do a test run.

How much does it cost out of interest to run these Albion roars? Do you have to dip into your own pockets? I don't mean to intrude but if you are then it would be nice for other Albion fans to help out and keep this great show going for the foreseeable future.

We pay Radio Reverb a fee to cover licence and admin costs. It amounts to the higher end of three figures per year.

I say 'we', Phil Shelley is our sponsor, and he covers the costs through sponsorship - hence the shout-out in the form of Shirt of the Week. He loves to trip Ady up on unpronounceable names (not Ady's forte to be fair), and he's done it again this week.

I digress - as I said earlier, Reverb doesn't accept ads (part of its licence remit), so relies on public donations and sponsorship.

If you wish to help - and your offer is very kind, thank you - go to www.radioreverb.com, and click on the donate button. It does benefit the Roar if you can do that. :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd more than happy to pay to be in attendance and it's another way of helping you to fund the show. I know Bozza has donated to the show (NSC) till the end of March or April I think but not to sure without looking.

£150 per month for a number of months, so £1000 or so in total - http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?289314-Contributions-to-The-Albion-Roar.

I've no idea on what other funding from [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] et al amounts to.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the draw of an Albion 'hero' would encourage a fair few. It would also be a bit of a social occasion - once the show is done, people will hang around for a beer and a chat.

Also, if the guest was an Albion hero, then once your one hour recording is done and the microphone is off, you could do another Q&A with questions from the floor where, perhaps, things could be said that are not really broadcastable.

These are conversations we've had many times between us, and it's exactly along these lines.

It's making sure we're ready to do it; and knowing there's an audience happy to come along (and perhaps pay a nominal entrance fee).

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
We pay Radio Reverb a fee to cover licence and admin costs. It amounts to the higher end of three figures per year.

I say 'we', Phil Shelley is our sponsor, and he covers the costs through sponsorship - hence the shout-out in the form of Shirt of the Week. He loves to trip Ady up on unpronounceable names (not Ady's forte to be fair), and he's done it again this week.

I digress - as I said earlier, Reverb doesn't accept ads (part of its licence remit), so relies on public donations and sponsorship.

If you wish to help - and your offer is very kind, thank you - go to www.radioreverb.com, and click on the donate button. It does benefit the Roar if you can do that. :)

It would be bloody rued not to donate so shall donate. Nothing is free these days and you provide a fantastic service to us Albion fans so it's only fair us Albion fans continue to help keep this show going.

Shall donate a months worth of pies :)

Ps. That's a lot :wink:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
It would be bloody rued not to donate so shall donate. Nothing is free these days and you provide a fantastic service to us Albion fans so it's only fair us Albion fans continue to help keep this show going.

Shall donate a months worth of pies :)

Ps. That's a lot :wink:

Hat trick ???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
£150 per month for a number of months, so £1000 or so in total - http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?289314-Contributions-to-The-Albion-Roar.

I've no idea on what other funding from [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] et al amounts to.

I pay the Radio Reverb 'subs' for want of a better term. Basically Radio Reverb charges the Albion Roar about a tenner for each 1 hour show that is broadcast (making it £520 a year), this covers their broadcast license, and contributes to the rent and leccy.

In addition I provide the content for the best bit of the show (the bit Ady can't pronoun), and in return my website gets a couple of plugs during each show.

The Albion Roar website was also produced by my brother, the brains behind my website (I just do the ideas), so don't forget to check it out, some great old shows available for download, www.albionroar.co.uk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
These are conversations we've had many times between us, and it's exactly along these lines.

It's making sure we're ready to do it; and knowing there's an audience happy to come along (and perhaps pay a nominal entrance fee).

Either rent the equipment, as suggested, or buy is used on eBay. The latter will mean that if it doesn't work out then you can sell it on again and not have lost too much for the experiment.

I'd have thought the 1 hour show / 1 hour Q&A thing would work well and, in reality, wouldn't be much different from the Q&A sessions that Paul Barber et al hold with other supporter groups around the county and in London.

If money is required then maybe sell tickets in advance - say £5 which includes a £3 drinks voucher for the night or, maybe, comes with a small gift on arrival such as a limited edition Albion pin badge of the type [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] was looking to have made up. People then get the double whammy of having given some financial support for the show and also got a small something back. People who pay on the night pay a bit more of get a bit less, but encourages people to give a commitment to the event so you know you're not wasting your time.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Tired donating but realized after a few failures it's via PayPal so will have to get them to resend my details as have forgotten :facepalm:

Shall donate £40 tomorrow :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Tired donating but realized after a few failures it's via PayPal so will have to get them to resend my details as have forgotten :facepalm:

Shall donate £40 tomorrow :thumbsup:

Really good of you chap

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
We have had further discussions tonight about doing a live show and it could happen!!

We really do need to know that it would be supported before we commit though

Also, we have thrown a few names about tonight, but who would you like to see???

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I pay the Radio Reverb 'subs' for want of a better term. Basically Radio Reverb charges the Albion Roar about a tenner for each 1 hour show that is broadcast (making it £520 a year), this covers their broadcast license, and contributes to the rent and leccy.

In addition I provide the content for the best bit of the show (the bit Ady can't pronoun), and in return my website gets a couple of plugs during each show.

The Albion Roar website was also produced by my brother, the brains behind my website (I just do the ideas), so don't forget to check it out, some great old shows available for download, www.albionroar.co.uk

Donated a tender so should be at least 1hour. Really enjoy the shows. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here