Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GOSBTS "Going up" or "Stand or Fall"?

GOSBTS What do you sing when the players walk out?

• You can tell them all that we stand or fall

Votes: 301 84.1%
  • And we're going up to win the cup

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • None. I don't sing.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Stand or fall, no brainer.

Even my old man has converted. Perhaps when the final 10% stop being obstinate we can no longer display the words on the screens.

Next stop will be making people realise it's 'Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea.. Good old Sussex by the sea' rather than the latter repeated twice, but little steps.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Stand or fall. Always have and always will.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
When growing up it was always up to win the cup but on learning the original has to be Stand or Fall.

However, and I realise I may be alone here, but how does the 'Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea, Good Old Sussex by the sea' scan?

I can never make that sentence work when singing so just go for the old double good old instead.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Stand or Fall, it's our song and Sussex man sang it as they marched to war, we honour their memory, we honour our beautiful county and its history and we honour our amazing football club when we sing the original words.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Stand or Fall, it's our song and Sussex man sang it as they marched to war, we honour their memory, we honour our beautiful county and its history and we honour our amazing football club when we sing the original words.

YES! Exactly. I urge those not aware of the origins of the song to google it. All will then become clear.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Depends how pissed I am

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
GOSBTS "Going up" or "Stand or Fall"?

However, and I realise I may be alone here, but how does the 'Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea, Good Old Sussex by the sea' scan?

I can never make that sentence work when singing so just go for the old double good old instead.

"Oh, Sussex" instead of "good old" is surely quite straightforward. I'm not sure how to explain. It just works for me. :shrug:

Having thought about it, you just need to pause after Sussex, rather than after Oh!

As a ten year old (1978) my understanding was "going up to win the cup" that was it and I've never sung it any other way.

Apologies to anyone near me that "cringes" or is "embarrassed". Actually I'm not sorry, I couldn't give a flying **** what you think of mt singing, the time I decide to leave or what I wear to the match.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I slightly favour the original "You can tell them all that we stand or fall" but then does that mark me down as a newbie reading off the screen?
No it doesn't make you a newbie. I've been singing 'going up to win the cup' for decades like the rest of you, but that's just an in game chant, and it's taken from the stand or fall poem anyway.

Stand or fall means a lot more, and it's over a hundred years old. God knows why anyone sings 'going up' at the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here