Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO MODS: Are There Any Circumstances Under Which We Can Have A Paul Rogers TributeThread?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just curious: why the sudden urge for a tribute thread anyway?

My recollection of Rogers is that he was a reasonable standard League Two midfielder with us, no more, no less. He didn't do a lot wrong on the pitch, but he certainly wasn't what you'd call a crowd favourite. As midfielders go, he was neither outstandingly creative, nor a true enforcer, ballwinning sort. He came in, was awarded the captaincy- presumably because of his successful spells doing the job elsewhere and because managers tended to feel he was a steady, reliable, non-shit-stirring type, and was fortunate enough to be part of another winning side.

He was alright, but is nowhere near club legend status in my book. There were other players in that Micky Adams side who made far more impact. In my opinion, of course.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

My recollection of Rogers is that he was a reasonable standard League Two midfielder with us, no more, no less. He didn't do a lot wrong on the pitch, but he certainly wasn't what you'd call a crowd favourite. As midfielders go, he was neither outstandingly creative, nor a true enforcer, ballwinning sort. He came in, was awarded the captaincy- presumably because of his successful spells doing the job elsewhere and because managers tended to feel he was a steady, reliable, non-shit-stirring type, and was fortunate enough to be part of another winning side.

He was alright, but is nowhere near club legend status in my book. There were other players in that Micky Adams side who made far more impact. In my opinion, of course.

Like Guy Butters???? Why would you begrudge a man a tribute thread after so many years service to the club?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

really? i thought he was a rock and backbone of the team, and of course he'd had more success before he joined us

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I agree. I didn't really see him as a leader on the pitch or much of an influence in the way we played....BUT...I respect that MA knows far more than me and saw the qualities he brought to the team.

any player with us for more than a couple of years at Withdean would have been part of at least one successful team, and to many on here this deserves the title "Legend". Not many of these "legends" can match the achievements of Sully, Foster, Ward, Lawrenson and Horton (and Andy Rollings who is still a great ambassador for the club),

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
really? i thought he was a rock and backbone of the team, and of course he'd had more success before he joined us

It really wasn't an attempt to slate the guy. I just always found him slightly underwhelming as a player. I thought both Carpenter and Oatway were more influential, if we're talking midfielders of that era. Perhaps he was one of those understated sorts that you don't really notice, I don't know. That being the case though, I stand by the point that he's hardly a club legend.

Re his success prior to the Albion: perhaps that's why I never really got the Rogers thing...maybe my expectations were a little high based on his Wigan career?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why would you begrudge a man a tribute thread after so many years service to the club?

Where's the "begrudge"? I just wondered what had prompted the request after all this time, that was all.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

He may have been a bog average player but Bobby Bin-Laden loved him with an all consuming passion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Where's the "begrudge"? I just wondered what had prompted the request after all this time, that was all.

Like it says in my initial post, we're on the eve of our Premier League debut, Dodge worked tirelessly both on and off the pitch to help the club get to where we are, was/is liked and respected by many of us and has ended up having his part airbrushed out of the club's recent history. He'll be gutted by that. This was just a small attempt to address the balance on NSC, that's all. Respect to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for allowing this appreciation thread, and to fellow posters for being scrupulous in not touching upon any speculation on whatever events may have led to his sudden departure from the club with no more than a very brusque club statement. Whatever the circumstances surrounding his departure, he surely deserved better than that. And great to read that Dodge is reported to be in good form and has been seen out jogging recently with FDM and at cricket with Dick Knight. Top man!

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
It really wasn't an attempt to slate the guy. I just always found him slightly underwhelming as a player. I thought both Carpenter and Oatway were more influential, if we're talking midfielders of that era. Perhaps he was one of those understated sorts that you don't really notice, I don't know. That being the case though, I stand by the point that he's hardly a club legend.

Re his success prior to the Albion: perhaps that's why I never really got the Rogers thing...maybe my expectations were a little high based on his Wigan career?

Won a few games with far post headers but Chippy ran the show.

Jimmy Grimble

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

He was the figurehead of a great era for us and represented that footballers didn't have to be showy and flairy to be a success. He was also a thoroughly nice chap and clearly wanted to win. Many players are celebrated for displaying much less professionalism and compassion (albeit more talented).

Yes, he was L1 or L2 standard but as was Hart and Mayo etc, both of whom are also considered club legends. I think part of all of these players charms was the work-horse attributes.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Saw him having a sneaky peak at some skirt at the County Ground last night.
Top man. Never seen someone his age so fit.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Like it says in my initial post, we're on the eve of our Premier League debut, Dodge worked tirelessly both on and off the pitch to help the club get to where we are, was/is liked and respected by many of us and has ended up having his part airbrushed out of the club's recent history. He'll be gutted by that. This was just a small attempt to address the balance on NSC, that's all. Respect to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for allowing this appreciation thread, and to fellow posters for being scrupulous in not touching upon any speculation on whatever events may have led to his sudden departure from the club with no more than a very brusque club statement. Whatever the circumstances surrounding his departure, he surely deserved better than that. And great to read that Dodge is reported to be in good form and has been seen out jogging recently with FDM and at cricket with Dick Knight. Top man!

I think his work for the club after his playing days were over deserves credit. He worked consistently well to build up the profile of the club with businesses both locally and beyond and did what he could to help involve local firms with the club. It's a real shame that his departure is under such a cloud but I don't know of anyone who had dealings with him as part of the commercial side of the Albion that did not find him a genuine pleasure to work with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here