Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Your Favourite Local Shop (Independent or chain)?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I often feel guilty about ordering on line as I am aware that I'm contributing to the death of the high street (or industrial retail park) but I'm one of those people who likes to get the best deal without considering the implications or consequences. To make amends I thought we could promote our favourite local shops and possibly heighten general awareness of their existence.

My first shout is for the Nut and Bolt Store in Portland Road, Hove. Very helpful staff and great if you're doing a specific project or repair. If you only require one specific screw you can buy just one singular screw instead of having to fork out for a whole pack, the remainder of which you will probably never use. They even establish and calibrate the correct thread for the bolt you need to buy if it needs to be matched specifically. I often walk out of there only having spent 5p or some equally meagre amount. Clearly they're not going to survive just on my custom so the more people who know about this shop the better. Don't be misled by the name, they don't just sell nuts and bolts.

My second shout is for Toolstation which has been an organic discovery since I first eschewed the major DIY chains such as B&Q and Homebase in favour of Wickes quite a few years ago when it was still relatively unknown and offered better value for money. Shopping there also gave you a certain diy credibility because you were mingling in the world of the proper tradesman until it became more mainstream. Then I discovered Screwfix which offered fantastic value for money which I didn't believe could be bettered. How wrong I was because in the last year I discovered Toolstation who follow the same Argos like format as Screwfix but are on the whole, with the odd exception, much cheaper.

My third shout is for Chandlers, formerly Beachwood Timber, formerly Mackintosh & Partners in Basin Road North on the docks at the west end of The Lagoon. Great place for buying wood in various widths and thicknesses which you cut or have cut to the lengths you require. Much cheaper than Wickes.

So they are my three shouts:
The Nut and Bolt Store for odd screws, bolts and other odds and sods.
Toolstation for general DIY
Chandlers for your timber needs

What are yours?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Grocer & Grain on the corner of Surrey Street & Upper Gloucester. Has survived the arrival of Tesco Metro & Sainsburys Local just down the road, sells top-class local produce wherever possible & the take-away food is fantastic.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Islingword Road Post Office. Been there forever and a real community hub. Combines as a convenience store that doesn't put hideous mark ups on its goods. Can draw cash there (without a charge) too.

I was sad when the old owner left but it seems to have continued well and is open longer hours. Saves a trip into town.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wickenden Meats in Hangleton. Good quality, great value & a lovely bunch of lads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Sandwich In The Square - Southwick.

There's a good variety of local shops including the butcher and greengrocer and an oriental place.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Withers in Polegate High Street is just about the best small hardware shop anywhere.
It's like an Aladdin's cave and sells just about anything you might need for house and garden at really reasonable prices.
Don't live in Polegate now but miss that little shop.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Fourth and Church - great combination of deli foods and wines/ beers. Followed by Malbec an unusual Argentinian Deli also along Church Rd, Hove. That area is like a haven to style and good taste .

boik

I often feel guilty about ordering on line as I am aware that I'm contributing to the death of the high street (or industrial retail park) but I'm one of those people who likes to get the best deal without considering the implications or consequences. To make amends I thought we could promote our favourite local shops and possibly heighten general awareness of their existence.

My first shout is for the Nut and Bolt Store in Portland Road, Hove. Very helpful staff and great if you're doing a specific project or repair. If you only require one specific screw you can buy just one singular screw instead of having to fork out for a whole pack, the remainder of which you will probably never use. They even establish and calibrate the correct thread for the bolt you need to buy if it needs to be matched specifically. I often walk out of there only having spent 5p or some equally meagre amount. Clearly they're not going to survive just on my custom so the more people who know about this shop the better. Don't be misled by the name, they don't just sell nuts and bolts.

My second shout is for Toolstation which has been an organic discovery since I first eschewed the major DIY chains such as B&Q and Homebase in favour of Wickes quite a few years ago when it was still relatively unknown and offered better value for money. Shopping there also gave you a certain diy credibility because you were mingling in the world of the proper tradesman until it became more mainstream. Then I discovered Screwfix which offered fantastic value for money which I didn't believe could be bettered. How wrong I was because in the last year I discovered Toolstation who follow the same Argos like format as Screwfix but are on the whole, with the odd exception, much cheaper.

My third shout is for Chandlers, formerly Beachwood Timber, formerly Mackintosh & Partners in Basin Road North on the docks at the west end of The Lagoon. Great place for buying wood in various widths and thicknesses which you cut or have cut to the lengths you require. Much cheaper than Wickes.

So they are my three shouts:
The Nut and Bolt Store for odd screws, bolts and other odds and sods.
Toolstation for general DIY
Chandlers for your timber needs

What are yours?

Used to use the nut and bolt store lots when I was restoring my old citroen DS. Got some stainless steel nuts and bolts from namrick just the other day.

Can also spend ages browsing in dockerills.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
This one...

p01zg0j8.jpg

We didn't burn him...

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
have a brilliant corner shop near me, sells everything, open all hours, friendly staff, end of Springfield Road, junction with Preston Road, next time I go there I'll take a look at its name!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Small Batch Coffee, Hove Patisserie, Real Patisserie, Brydens on Blatchington Rd, Tiba, Taj are a few that spring to mind.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here