Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One day you will quote the extended paragraphs from that article in full to give full context as why he sees it as something that could be positive, and not just cherry pick "mostly eliminate British manufacturing", Even better why not quote the full article.
Oh wait, no you wont, that’s not in your weasel mis-representing handbook.
I don't think I'm misrepresenting the 'weasel' at all, although hugely-discredited wacko might be a better description. Still, if you want me to mention the positive aspects of destroying British industry then I'm happy to pass on his claim that it will result in £135 billion making its way into the country. Meanwhile, you might care to ask the 50-odd Brexit-supporting Americans you are apparently in touch with what they would think of a scheme to bring in cheap foreign goods from the other end of the world whilst simultaneously turning whole communities at home into rust belts. They have strong feelings about this sort of thing I believe.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am surprised so many of you remainers have stopped drinking chlorinated tap water.
Must be nice all that spring water........but not very environmentally friendly of you all ???

It isn't so much that the chicken is washed in chlorine, it's that it needs to be washed in chlorine, because their processing allows the carcasses to become contaminated.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I don't think I'm misrepresenting the 'weasel' at all, although hugely-discredited wacko might be a better description. Still, if you want me to mention the positive aspects of destroying British industry then I'm happy to pass on his claim that it will result in £135 billion making its way into the country. Meanwhile, you might care to ask the 50-odd Brexit-supporting Americans you are apparently in touch with what they would think of a scheme to bring in cheap foreign goods from the other end of the world whilst simultaneously turning whole communities at home into rust belts. They have strong feelings about this sort of thing I believe.

Whole communities in the US are going to be turned into rust belts? Wow,did you read that in the Independent?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It isn't so much that the chicken is washed in chlorine, it's that it needs to be washed in chlorine, because their processing allows the carcasses to become contaminated.

You can keep your German pseudo scare science, thanks.

“European opposition to imports of chlorinated chicken has been spearheaded by Germany, where the products are subjected to ridicule, often based on an unscientific apprehension. Angela Merkel, the country’s Chancellor, has declared that there is “no question” they will accept US poultry treated with chemical rinses into Germany. Yet German perceptions of food safety standards appear to be warped by a prodomestic bias. Both US and German consumers believe that their own set of food regulations are superior.”

“The phenomenon is not unlike foreign attitudes to British beef products in the wake of the BSE scare of the 1990s. International consumers have remained wary, long after the crisis has passed. Tellingly, the EU’s own scientists have sided with the US, in agreeing that PRTs are safe.”

“immersing poultry meat in chlorine dioxide solution of the strength used in the United States reduces prevalence of salmonella from 14% in controls to 2%. EU chicken samples typically have 15-20% salmonella.”

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...d01a494/1500804930480/Chlorinated+Chicken.pdf
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-...at-their-poultry-with-chlorine/555618.article

That is a bit sick mate. Not your finest moment.

Truth hurts.
Did you lend tacit support to her policy? Yes? I would feel guilty about the drownings as well if i had been one of those that did. But as a German lady said to the reporter as the migrants arrived at the train station "the deaths were a price worth paying".......sick i know.......some people eh,warped beyond reasoning.

Yoda

English & European

“European opposition to imports of chlorinated chicken has been spearheaded by Germany, where the products are subjected to ridicule, often based on an unscientific apprehension. Angela Merkel, the country’s Chancellor, has declared that there is “no question” they will accept US poultry treated with chemical rinses into Germany. Yet German perceptions of food safety standards appear to be warped by a prodomestic bias. Both US and German consumers believe that their own set of food regulations are superior.”

“The phenomenon is not unlike foreign attitudes to British beef products in the wake of the BSE scare of the 1990s. International consumers have remained wary, long after the crisis has passed. Tellingly, the EU’s own scientists have sided with the US, in agreeing that PRTs are safe.”

“immersing poultry meat in chlorine dioxide solution of the strength used in the United States reduces prevalence of salmonella from 14% in controls to 2%. EU chicken samples typically have 15-20% salmonella.”

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...d01a494/1500804930480/Chlorinated+Chicken.pdf
https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-...at-their-poultry-with-chlorine/555618.article

Truth hurts.
Did you lend tacit support to her policy? Yes? I would feel guilty about the drownings as well if i had been one of those that did. But as a German lady said to the reporter as the migrants arrived at the train station "the deaths were a price worth paying".......sick i know.......some people eh,warped beyond reasoning.

As far as I'm concerned, they can both keep their own. Remember, in the UK chickens are vaccinated against it and salmonella has been virtually eliminated now. Whereas in the US it counts for over 1 million illnesses each year.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As far as I'm concerned, they can both keep their own. Remember, in the UK chickens are vaccinated against it and salmonella has been virtually eliminated now. Whereas in the US it counts for over 1 million illnesses each year.

Buying British farm produce is always the best option :thumbsup:

Why does there need to be a bridge? There's a ****ing land border. Geography obviously not your strong point.

Of course there is a sodding land border.
Think you have taken the bridge crossing to pedantic levels, forgetting the illegal water crossings.

It was more of a reference to Merkels stupid policy than an exercise in geography

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Bless, did you forget again you had previously announced that you had me on ignore?
I do find it endlessly funny how people like you, Herr T and other remainers will announce how you are putting people on ignore, only to give up near immediately or forget you were pretending in the first place by accidentally replying to the person you had on ignore.
Pretty much sums up all the arguments currently being spewed by you lot.
Full of hot air lies and no substance.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well big meeting at chequers with the Brexit sub-committee, EU ambassadors will be present to inject some realism, not a bad idea the politics of delusion since last December has to end and May knows it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Truth hurts

I’m willing to listen to anything. But, the article states there is no science. And subtly adds the often caveat. So, there is science. Then suggests Germans, incorrectly, believe their standards are better.....without giving any reasons as to how this idea came about. Vague article with no hard facts.

Try again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why does there need to be a bridge? There's a ****ing land border. Geography obviously not your strong point.

Ha ha. What an idiot.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’m willing to listen to anything. But, the article states there is no science. And subtly adds the often caveat. So, there is science. Then suggests Germans, incorrectly, believe their standards are better.....without giving any reasons as to how this idea came about. Vague article with no hard facts.

Try again.

Without giving reasons?......you wally.
Read it again, take note of all the notations and links to other citations
Cant believe you didnt see them

none so blind etc etc etc

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scramble-to-keep-unilever-in-london-mmvbdhbbw

Greg Clark, the business secretary, is working frantically to prevent Unilever choosing the Netherlands over the UK for its new headquarters

The giant consumer group, whose products range from Dove soap to Marmite, will decide within the next three weeks if its new base will be in Rotterdam or London.

Mr Clark and Alex Chisholm, the permanent secretary in his department, have held a series of talks with Unilever. Mr Clark has met them “a lot of times”, according to a government source. The two men have expressed optimism about the outcome of the discussions, emphasising that Unilever has not made a final decision.

Unilever pledged to review its dual legal structure and stock market listing in the UK and the Netherlands last year after a surprise £115 billion takeover approach by Kraft Heinz. The bid was ultimately unsuccessful but it rattled Unilever as it highlighted that, while the company’s long-term sustainable investment model generated growth, it was not doing it fast enough. Reviewing its dual structure was one of a number of measures announced by Unilever in its efforts to “unlock value” and meet a 20 per cent operating margin target.

The company has been listed both in London and in the Netherlands since the British soapmaker Lever Brothers merged with Margarine Unie, a Dutch spread maker, in 1930. The dual structure means it has two boards with the same members, two sets of corporate laws and two sets of shareholders. It has to prepare accounts in euros and pounds and hold two annual meetings. Its shares trade in London and Amsterdam as well as through American depositary receipts in the US.

Having a headquarters in only one legal and tax jurisdiction will not only simplify Unilever’s complex business but, crucially, provide it with a single stock market quote, making it much easier to issue new shares or carry out share-based acquisitions.

Paul Polman, the Dutch chief executive, said at the time the review was announced that changing the structure could make the company more nimble for large acquisitions. If Unilever, which employs 7,500 people in the UK, chooses the Netherlands it would still keep a secondary stock market listing in London but it would count as a significant corporate defeat for Brexit Britain.

The Netherlands has been lobbying hard for Unilever to pick a Dutch base. Mark Rutte, the Dutch prime minister, used to work at Unilever and has made a number of recent rulings that favour international investors in Dutch companies.

Unilever will make a final decision at a board meeting to be held in the second week of March. There are a number of options available, and it is possible that Unilever could move its headquarters to Rotterdam but still opt to keep its primary listing in London.

Unilever declined to comment on the matter yesterday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without giving reasons?......you wally.
Read it again, take note of all the notations and links to other citations
Cant believe you didnt see them

none so blind etc etc etc

I did, and a second time. But you will have to guide me to the evidence “Germans” believe their standards are higher. Maybe I need another coffee as I can’t see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here