Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thumbs down feature?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But even some people don't understand the thumbs up, and quote the original post and comment with just 'spot on', or 'this' or similar without anything meaningful added.
You can't 'thumbs up' on Tapatalk, so it may not be a case of 'not understanding'.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Get rid of thumbs up if anything

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Yoda

English & European
Never used to bother me when it was here, then I didn't ever get many (thumbs down that is).

Would prefer both or non at all tbh.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Probably been covered by why is it actually disabled? There are certainly threads (usually political) where it would be a good indicator on certain issues. Having just the thumbs up feature comes across a bit "Everyone wins at sports day" to me

I personally don't think you need thumbs down. I think you can get a clear indicator on how people feel about issues by just reading the posts.

I also think thumbs down is a pretty faceless way of disagreeing with someone. If you don't like what someone says then make your own post and put your views up there as well, so that they can be lauded or challenged in the same way.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
When mine were at junior school it was 'first winner', 'second winner', 'third winner' and so on. I soon explained to my kids that when they apply for a job when they grow up, only one person gets it - and he/she is the only 'winner'

On topic, not keen on a thumbs down. It'd create a negative atmosphere and make people less likely to speak their mind.

It's mad isn't it? My son had his football presentation this weekend. All the kids got a medal but there were then 5 other awards. My son got 2 and his mate another 2.

The shock on some of the kids faces that 'they weren't all getting something' was unbelievable. I also know that next year he may get nothing (one of the awards was 'best new player' so that is out), I just hope that he accepts it and doesn't get petulant like one kid that immediately said he wanted to go home instead of playing with his mates and having a BBQ

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thumbs down would be given based on a differing viewpoint rather than the argument itself. .

Rather than just liking a post instead of giving it a viewpoint of your own?

I think you can like a post without giving a viewpoint. For example, a new signing or Dale extending his contract. A lot of people still like to comment. Back in the day any signing with a foreign name was usually met with the word "Flair" even though most of didn't have a clue if the player was actually any good.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There were a few mischievous posters who attempted to get the most thumbs down, which kept the moderators busy, either editing or deleting.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I always thought that the thumbs up was for someone who has taken the effort and written something you agreed with. However people (also) seem to use it when they like the news that the poster is giving even thought that poster hasn't actually put much of an effort into the post. For example a hypothetical post of Albion signing Ulloa back from Leicester and a link to the BBC would probably get lots of thumbs up when a reply detailing the pros and/or cons of the signing wouldn't.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Thumbs down would be given based on a differing viewpoint rather than the argument itself. It would be little more than a popularity poll.

It's a lazy way of disagreeing with a point of view rather than having the resolve and taking the time to reply in a considered, measured way.

The threat of receiving thumbs down votes might dissuade some from expressing alternative counter cultural viewpoints, however valid.

It would also be a way of emphasizing differences between us and things we disagree on rather than those which we share.

In short, I think it did make NSC a more negative place when it was there.

Thumbs down to thumbs down.

Receiving, or even giving a 'Thumbs Down' here always felt like someone walking up to you, sneering "You utter tit", and walking away. Fair enough, but an explanation would be nice.

Maybe I should get more of a life...

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
I got confused with it and could not workout if I was thumbing up or down so removed just in case. Must be these worn out ol eyes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here