Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Reading between the lines in today's Argus it seems we are being primed for a lower key signing spree than some are hoping for. Interestingly the Argus now seems to be implying that the Abraham deal has slipped away too, having said, last week, that we were still hopeful even with Swansea throwing their hat in the ring too.

I was beginning to form that impression myself. It feels like its going to be a relatively quiet window and fans need to lower their radars. Maybe CH feels he has enough ammunition to survive? Time will tell.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Reading between the lines in today's Argus it seems we are being primed for a lower key signing spree than some are hoping for. Interestingly the Argus now seems to be implying that the Abraham deal has slipped away too, having said, last week, that we were still hopeful even with Swansea throwing their hat in the ring too.

Think club needs to be careful, or squad won't be competitive, whilst we understand it's a crazy transfer market, we are also well aware that the REWARDS of promotion to PL are about 170 million, so much of that invariably goes on the team....

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

There certainly seems to have been a deliberate managing of expectations by the club over the last couple of days with Barber on the main site and now the manager in the argus. Would be nice to see some inboard movement soon it can't be long until the players return from holiday.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So we are setting ourselves up to 'do a Middlesbrough.'

Great.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Think club needs to be careful, or squad won't be competitive, whilst we understand it's a crazy transfer market, we are also well aware that the REWARDS of promotion to PL are about 170 million, so much of that invariably goes on the team....

There certainly seems to have been a deliberate managing of expectations by the club over the last couple of days with Barber on the main site and now the manager in the argus. Would be nice to see some inboard movement soon it can't be long until the players return from holiday.

Great.

There's no way the club would willingly sell the squad short for this season.. I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to bring in the necessary quality. I'm sure we'll see some activity soon.. (fingers crossed)

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I was beginning to form that impression myself. It feels like its going to be a relatively quiet window and fans need to lower their radars. Maybe CH feels he has enough ammunition to survive? Time will tell.

I cannot think CH would believe we are strong enough for a second. I read the article and feel that it is saying that the club is coming to terms with big fees/ wages and will deal with this market accordingly...it mentions 8 million pound players now worth 10 etc.... last year we went all in for Pritchard so there is your 8 million to 10 million comparison.
As for dealing with it, I assume it's all about value, hence shopping abroad..

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see no reason why the club would seek to broadcast such a negative outlook and no advantage in having such a downbeat policy.

How depressing.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Meanwhile Huddersfield splash £12m on a striker from Ligue 1, who looks to be a very good signing for them.

If we could afford Pritchard last year, I'm sure we will have one or two big signings.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Bertrand Traore just been sold for 10 million euros. Would have been ideal for us

Yes but that move clearly paves the way for Lacazette to move to Arsenal so we were incredibly unlikely to be sniffing anywhere near that!

It's the usual cards close to chest claptrap which I get but equally the comments around needing 8 players aren't wide of the mark.

I just hope some of the hasbeens and nonames a la Cameron Jerome and Stewart Downing are NOWHERE near our target list.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Or Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - PPPPP

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Great.

Nah, I reckon we are just playing hard ball and using the media to strengthen the message. I cannot belive that the club would let us do a Middlesbrough having taken so long to get here. That would be incredibly short sighted. Don't see it personally.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Nah, I reckon we are just playing hard ball and using the media to strengthen the message. I cannot belive that the club would let us do a Middlesbrough having taken so long to get here. That would be incredibly short sighted. Don't see it personally.
I agree, we have always been very prudent. Every year expectations etc are managed. This year of course we have money to spend, but we won't spend 30 million on one player..... Sean Dyche has commented today that brighton and Newcastle have bigger wage budgets than him ( from last year) so that makes for interesting thinking

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I agree with you. Seems pretty clear the club are making it clear they won't pay over the asking price. As usual, this seems to be regarded by some on here as a reason to panic and suggest we are relegated already.

I realise it is a football forum and we have to talk about something during the summer but there is little point in discussing potential signings until they are confirmed, given how many the club have signed with no rumours around them in recent years.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I get the feeling we've put decent bids in for players and the agents know we are offering decent enough contracts, It's just down to clubs trying to screw us for more money.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Meanwhile Huddersfield splash £12m on a striker from Ligue 1, who looks to be a very good signing for them.

If we could afford Pritchard last year, I'm sure we will have one or two big signings.

You can never tell with a striker from overseas (and it's not even been confirmed by Huddersfield yet), although I agree he looks to be a good signing (much better than the other they've made).

I am very confident we'll have 3 or 4 more signings before the start of the season and then maybe add a couple more after that.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I agree, we have always been very prudent. Every year expectations etc are managed. This year of course we have money to spend, but we won't spend 30 million on one player..... Sean Dyche has commented today that brighton and Newcastle have bigger wage budgets than him ( from last year) so that makes for interesting thinking

I think Dyche is being honest but it's a stupid comparison as wages in Burnley are nowhere near that of the South! But it does show though you can be financially savvy and survive in the PL!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am so surprised ( not really surprised) that so many on here seem reluctant to trust the hierarchy in their approach, which has been so consistent for the last two seasons if not longer and has bought us more success than we could have hoped for. Keeping stuff quiet just makes sense for so many reasons, but many refuse to believe that this doesn't hide a disjointed, unplanned, or unsuccessful approach to transfers. We will lose out on some players for any number of reasons, but one of them is unlikely to be because of poor planning. Availability, Fees, wages, add-ons, attitude, etc etc will add/remove players from our target list on an on-going basis. Sharing that with NSC probably doesn't feature on the plan..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here