Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Moped gangs

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Curious why they were smashing bikes up early in the morning as normally the gangs would be committing robberies from either shops or people. Also imagine those types are rather partial to a lie-in.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
https://news.sky.com/story/officers...cted-from-prosecution-under-new-laws-11381331

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 09.39.24.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet they sound like people who'd be entirely uneffected by a head injury. :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst I obviously don't condone it, I can understand drive-by thefts of phone and bags etc, but just maliciously destroying a load or property for no intended financial gain - what's the point?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As others have said, that's a myth. This article about moped crime is only eight weeks old, it's becoming a real problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44204844

That just mentions aims and plans. It hasn't become law yet, so in the meantime, if a criminal dies as a result of being chased on a bike, the police chasing can still be charged.

Question.
As I pointed out earlier, this took place on station premises, so therefore under BTP jurisdiction. Do BTP have motorbike riders who can give chase to these vandals?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
As others have said, that's a myth. This article about moped crime is only eight weeks old, it's becoming a real problem.

It is partly, but I think police have reasonable reason to be a little concerned.

Look into the Henry Hicks case I posted above, police were charged (although cleared) of gross misconduct and he WAS wearing a helmet. If someone wasn't wearing a helmet it may have been different.

I'm no expert but that's how I interpret it, and currently the changes are only proposals - although a step in the right direction to stop the f*ckers.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I suspect the gang have a combined IQ of 50.
Hopefully they will be caught by the police and have to forfeit their mopeds as well as having a sentence at the top end of the scale

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hopefully they will be caught by the police and have to forfeit their mopeds as well as having a sentence at the top end of the scale

More like a goof ticking off, slap on the wrist and told to stop being naughty

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Slight semantics here - It is a ‘myth’ that police are totally unable to be involved in pursuits with moped riders with or without helmets regardless of the circumstances.

It has however always been the case with any type of pursuit that a decision is made around the risks involved to public and parties involved. Removal of a helmet and fail to stop/driving recklessly will immediately heighten that risk and a decision being made to continue with that pursuit. For minor instances of vandalism it’s unlikely the risk to life is going to be worth continuing a pursuit. More protection for police drivers isn’t going to change that decision making.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Sub human scum, often found on oxford street for phones and new Bond Street for jewellery smash and grabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That just mentions aims and plans. It hasn't become law yet, so in the meantime, if a criminal dies as a result of being chased on a bike, the police chasing can still be charged.

Question.
As I pointed out earlier, this took place on station premises, so therefore under BTP jurisdiction. Do BTP have motorbike riders who can give chase to these vandals?

I've no answer to that question I'm afraid.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Question.

So if somebody was being attacked on a station and you ring 999 the police would say "sorry, not our department you will have to ring 0800 40 50 40"

Edit: I can answer my own question, from the BTP website

"How should I report antisocial behaviour?

Any threatening or abusive behaviour should be reported. This includes rowdy, noisy or drunken behaviour, offensive or threatening language, littering or vandalism, or forming part of a menacing group.

Call us on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016 to report antisocial behaviour. To report antisocial behaviour on buses or roads, please contact your local police station on 101.

If a crime is in progress or if anyone is in immediate danger, you should always dial 999."

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Can be a purely commercial motive if they think other couriers are muscling in on their territory,for example.Doesn't excuse the behaviour,but it might not just be wanton vandalism.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Whilst I obviously don't condone it, I can understand drive-by thefts of phone and bags etc, but just maliciously destroying a load or property for no intended financial gain - what's the point?

I believe the term for this is 'Snatch Theft'. There were signs on the Tuk Tuks in Bangkok saying "Beware of Snatch Theft", and I'm fairly confident they were not referring to the UK's slang version of 'snatch'. Either way, I love the term, so please ensure to use it in future. We can spread it around NSC, then the UK, and then THE WERELD!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unfoertunately public opinion is very much against the police in chases. If the alleged criminal dies, the police are deemed to have put them into that situation.
Where is this information from? I'd guess if you put a poll on here, that would not be the people's verdict.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here