Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
"Indications are that Brighton could be sending Tau on loan to another European club in the new season, as it will be difficult for the player to secure a work permit and play in the English Premier League."

Ooh i wonder which club that will be :wink:

No idea what club... if your assuming TB’s new club in Belgium I expect you are massively wide of the mark

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I just do not get why we loan him out?
If he cannot get work permit here how can he elsewhere? and how does that help him get here later?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I just do not get why we loan him out?
If he cannot get work permit here how can he elsewhere? and how does that help him get here later?

Countries set their own requirements for obtaining a work permit. The requirements in Belgium, for example, are much less stringent, so it is easier for a non-EU footballer to obtain a permit to play there. Similarly different countries have different rules on gaining citizenship. So the club would have to wait until he'd gained a EU passport in another country, or hope that South Africa rise up the FIFA rankings to at least 50th place. Or hope the Government relax the UK requirements for a work permit. None of these are quick options so presumably the club knows something we don't...

Last edited:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Countries set their own requirements for obtaining a work permit. The requirements in Belgium, for example, are much less stringent, so it is easier for a non-EU footballer to obtain a permit to play there. Similarly different countries have different rules on gaining citizenship. So the club would have to wait until he'd gained a EU passport in another country, or hope that South Africa rise up the FIFA rankings to at least 50th place. Or hope the Government relax the UK requirements for a work permit. None of these are quick options so presumably the club knows something we don't...

The exceptions panel has a number of criteria such as "played in European competitions", and "played in a top league" etc. This counted in our favour with Izquierdo from Club Brugge, who had been competing in Europe and were one of the top Belgian clubs that year. At that stage Izquierdo had only played a couple of international matches for Colombia so didn't qualify that way.

I wonder if we will be looking to loan him out to a club playing European football in one of the secondary level leagues (the Belgian, Dutch, Swiss, Portuguese level clubs). There were rumours of Swedish, Danish and French clubs being interested in Tau (if I recall correctly one may have been Monaco but I doubt he would start for them), so we shall see what happens.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I just like the idea of buying a player just to loan them straight out abroad. It's the kind of thing the big boys do, and for that reason I'm IN.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I just like the idea of buying a player just to loan them straight out abroad. It's the kind of thing the big boys do, and for that reason I'm IN.

I’m not, I don’t get the point, what happens if we go down or he breaks his leg abroad.
We’re not Charlie big bollox yet, and I’m not looking forward to that either to be honest, think we might be getting ideas above our station.

What do I know though, in TB I trust

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I’m not, I don’t get the point, what happens if we go down or he breaks his leg abroad.
We’re not Charlie big bollox yet, and I’m not looking forward to that either to be honest, think we might be getting ideas above our station.

What do I know though, in TB I trust

A leg break would be covered by insurance I would think. He could just as easily do that at Lancing it is just part of the risks.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Who was that Watford player the club protested and won his rights to work in the UK? I think he joined the Albion for a bit too.

That was Al Bangura, it wasn't a straight forward work permit issue but was more his right to stay in the UK as an asylum seeker who feared execution if he returned to Sierra Leone (the original appeal was against a deportation order, once the right to stay had been sorted he then secured a work permit). He arrived in the UK after being victim of some human traffickers who intended for him to work as a male prostitute.

Watford also successfully argued for a work permit for Richarlison last season.

Watford were unsuccessful in their bid to get a work permit for Adalberto Peñaranda who is Captain of the Venezuela U20's. He's had to spend the entire time since Watford signed him in Feb 2016 on loan in Spain and Italy.

It seems to be a lot easier to get a work permit for a player when they come from a side ranked at the higher end of the FIFA rankings. Seeing as Venezuela are a lot higher ranked than South Africa I doubt Tau will get a work permit just yet (although his recent breaking through into the full South Africa squad won't hurt him).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Landed in London, ahead of his Albion medical

Mamelodi Sundowns’ Percy Tau has landed in London, in anticipation of his transfer to Brighton & Hove Albion, where he is expected to complete his medical today.

Sundowns confirmed last week that President Patrice Motsepe gave management instructions to complete Tau’s transfer to the English Premier League side after he apologised to the club for being absent from training.

Read more: SA Teen Spotted In Dortmund

It was subsequently revealed to the Siya crew on Monday, July 16, that Sundowns and Brighton had agreed to a deal in principle.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here