Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1990 v 2018

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You're right, Sterling is class, just like the Emperor's new clothes.

If Sterling were see-through he'd be an unstoppable ninja :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Madness to even try and compare in my opinion, 1990 hands down, we had a far better side then. :thumbsup:

Definitely and we more than matched the eventual winners. Tonight we went into as we started: little expectation, much hope; where's in 1990 etc we really did believe we could win every tournament we entered. Times and expectations have changed, it'll take several tournaments on the spin where we do well to reach those hazy levels of expectation we had last century.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Don’t underestimate the fact we have grown up! I was 21 in 1990, 48 now, I didn’t go to work for three days after the WG game , I’m setting off to work now and I’m irritated but not that bothered!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Definitely and we more than matched the eventual winners. Tonight we went into as we started: little expectation, much hope; where's in 1990 etc we really did believe we could win every tournament we entered. Times and expectations have changed, it'll take several tournaments on the spin where we do well to reach those hazy levels of expectation we had last century.

That’s how I recall it as well.

Plus then we had arguably one of the best players in the tournament in Gascoigne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Shilts for me but accept the other two, to this day, how that free kick deflected off Parker and went in defies belief, the luckiest goal ever

If you go back and look at that free kick Shilton is way off his line and had no chance with the looping ball. It was a mistake by Shilton. :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you go back and look at that free kick Shilton is way off his line and had no chance with the looping ball. It was a mistake by Shilton. :shrug:

He was however it was a very lucky deflection

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
About the same for me.

The ONLY thing that matter is that after being semi-finalists in 1990 we didn't even qualify for 1994! Don't want us to sink that low again.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To start of with, two statements.

Have enjoyed the world cup and ride with the England team.

We got what we deserved and the better team won.

Now I've followed England for decades. I don't know how others feel but this defeat pales in comparison to how I felt when we lost in 1990. Possible because we lost to the arch rivals then but probably more because we had a team that we thought could genuinely win it. Think most pundits were of the opinion that the winners of our semi would beat either of the other two semi-finalist. Today, we were in the semi final having beaten no one of significance but, to be fair, that is the luck of the draw. I hoped, but had no high expectation, of success and because of that I don't feel as disheartened as I did 28 years ago.

My thoughts on individuals :-

Sterling - Despite what so called amateur experts say, he contributes very little yet again. Would prefer to see him as an impact sub and give Rashford a starting chance.
Southgate - Got the job by default and not because of some grand plan by the FA. That said, there is promise so let's see how he gets on in the Euro's qualifiers and hopefully the final tournament.
Pickford - Deservedly now considered England's No. 1.
Trippier - One of the star performers, the only black mark being he's from Burnley (well Bury is close enough!)
Midfield - We lack a star player, quality to go round players or someone to find a killer pass. Lingard and Ali still young enough to improve.

So, to sum up, looking forward to the final of Wimbledon!!!

We lost any hint of creative spark the second Sterling was taken off. Never looked like scoring or getting behind them after that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We lost any hint of creative spark the second Sterling was taken off. Never looked like scoring or getting behind them after that.

No, but because he was the only one of our attacking players who performed on the night, he had run himself to a standstill, I could see why the thought was getting fresh pace on the pitch. The other change I'd like to have seen was Loftus-Cheek, but Young having his worst game of the tournament meant you had to waste a sub on full back for full back. Think Gareth may have a bit of a blind spot for Alli, because I'd have repeated our Tunisia substitutions.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
You're right, Sterling is class, just like the Emperor's new clothes.

Astonishing that you can't see how good he was for us last night. We carried virtually no threat as soon as he went off. It's not all about scoring goals.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Disappointed today, but that's about it.
This was a far better opportunity to reach the final than 90, but it doesn't feel as bad.

The team blew the opportunity, should have put the game to bed in the first half.
They didn't and paid the price.

Not sure I'm convinced that this is a platform to build on.
There won't be another major championships where all of the top teams fail to make it to the semis.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This was a far better opportunity to reach the final than 90, but it doesn't feel as bad.

The team blew the opportunity, should have put the game to bed in the first half.

There won't be another major championships where all of the top teams fail to make it to the semis.

Agreed with everything you say except the last point. France and Belgium are both top teams for this tournament. Just because Argentina and Spain, say, have good tournament histories didn't automatically make them top teams for 2018. For example I tipped Belgium before the whole thing began; to my mind they were very much one of the top teams coming into it. That said, it's undeniable that England's half of the draw entering the knockout stage was completely open.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agreed with everything you say except the last point. France and Belgium are both top teams for this tournament. Just because Argentina and Spain, say, have good tournament histories didn't automatically make them top teams for 2018. For example I tipped Belgium before the whole thing began; to my mind they were very much one of the top teams coming into it. That said, it's undeniable that England's half of the draw entering the knockout stage was completely open.

Agree that France/Belgium are top teams for this tournament, but so were we up until last night.
Performances in tournament football is what matters.
Facing Germany/Italy/Spain/Brazil/Argentina in a WC/EC semi final will be different gravy.
I don't think the platform that thas been laid down here, will be strong enough to stand up to any of the above in the next championships.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Astonishing that you can't see how good he was for us last night. We carried virtually no threat as soon as he went off. It's not all about scoring goals.

Football Ramble:

"You'd have to be totally blind not to see what Sterling brings to this team."

week later;

"What happens is you get people who aren't that into football getting interested because it's the World Cup, they look for an easy scapegoat - he's not scoring goals - there you go. It's nonsense."

Football Weekly:

vs Sweden - "Sterling played very, very well. Alli played very poorly."

Total Soccer Show:

(Sarcastically) "Watch the game with a beer and scream at Sterling, right?"

"Absolutely, if you know nothing about how tactics or a team work, you got it!"

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don’t underestimate the fact we have grown up! I was 21 in 1990, 48 now, I didn’t go to work for three days after the WG game , I’m setting off to work now and I’m irritated but not that bothered!

Mirrored here. Was devastated in 1990 (21), this one is borderline 'meh.' Maybe it's an age thing.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Losing in 1990 was awful and I'm still getting over it now. Losing last night was awful but I hope to be over it by the weekend.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Its a common mistake to assume that a young group of players will all mature together, keep improving and ultimately win tournaments. Without real top class, you will always fall just short of glory. We have to hope that one real star emerges in the next 2-3 years, to carry our hopes forward. In 1990, Gascoigne was that man. That touch of something special. That creativity.
This tournament we missed Oxlade Chamberlain and Lallana. They could have given us something more. In 1990, we had a world class, proven manager. In 2018 we have a relative rookie. Our players are raw and inexperienced at dealing with the pressures at the highest international level.
So much changes, from World Cup to World Cup, that you cannot look forward with any certainty and as with any sport, you have to seize the moment. It doesn't matter if you are young, you have to go out and grab the chance. It didn't put Boris Becker off winning Wimbledon at 17 or Pele scoring twice in a WC Final at a similar age. You have to be confident and brave. Time and Tide wait for no man. Others will tell you that they are young and will have other chances. But will they? They may not get this close again.
There was a very real chance of reaching a WC Final last night. That chance wasn't taken and history may prove that this was one of our best chances ever.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here