Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
This.

It’s as if this is another Albion’s forum!

If Bong said he heard the slur, we should believe him and back him.

Why?

Surely always it should be innocent until proven guilty.

It is different if the alleged victim is family and whether it is someone you know and trust, but I don't know Bong from adam.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Bong would not lie about this. If the FA are serious about kicking racism out of the game, they will throw the book at Rodriguez.

Right! Any other outlook would mean Bong had just made the whole thing up. Why would he?

But expecting the FA to do anything about it is a trifle optimistic. We are a "small club" as Tomer's ban for stepping (NOT stamping) on another player and Lukaku getting away with kicking Bong twice demonstrate. Dont expect FA from the FA.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I find the tone of a lot of the comments about this shocking. There is absolutely no reason not to believe GB when he says he was racially abused.

BG’s comment is the worst offender (no surprise there) but there are plenty of “if he said it/might have mis-heard it” comments. No wonder people are reluctant to report things.

Unfortunately, the problem is that you cannot find someone guilty of an offence based on the testimony of the alleged victim.

Any situation where there are two conflicting statements and no independent or corroborating evidence, makes it very difficult to take action. If you stop that and take what people say as gospel, very rapidly you end up with a Salem Witch Trials or Arther Millers Crucible sort of situation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Right! Any other outlook would mean Bong had just made the whole thing up. Why would he?

It doesn't though. Here are two examples where no action is taken against Rodriguez but does not mean Bong made it up...

1. No proof can be found that proves Rodriguez said what Bong is alleging, therefore no action can be taken. It doesn't mean Bong made it up.

2. Proof can be found that Rodriguez didn't say what Bong is alleging, therefore no action is taken. Bong is adamant he heard what be believes he heard. Therefore Bong didn't make it up, he simply mis-heard.

I don't doubt for a second Bong believes he heard racist abuse, but it strikes me as it's going to be difficult for that to be proven.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He has not been found guilty yet. And even so points deduction would not happen. Are we that desperate.

Just a little joke there. I admit awarding the game to Brighton and 3 points would be a bit over the top, as we could have been playing all night in that game without looking like scoring a goal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately, the problem is that you cannot find someone guilty of an offence based on the testimony of the alleged victim.

Any situation where there are two conflicting statements and no independent or corroborating evidence, makes it very difficult to take action. If you stop that and take what people say as gospel, very rapidly you end up with a Salem Witch Trials or Arther Millers Crucible sort of situation.

However, there will be numerous camera angles plus I suspect Rodriguez will need to come clean with what he did say and that will have to match what the cameras show. For example, he might claim he only said 'you stink' but if the footage shows him mouthing far more than two words he'll be on a sticky wicket!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
However, there will be numerous camera angles plus I suspect Rodriguez will need to come clean with what he did say and that will have to match what the cameras show. For example, he might claim he only said 'you stink' but if the footage shows him mouthing far more than two words he'll be on a sticky wicket!!!

None of the camera angles to date seem to give any clues as to what, if anything, Rodriguez said and if any TV company had such an angle, I'm sure they'd have shown it by now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surprised this hasn’t made the BBC sports pages

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I 100% believe that Bong thinks he has been racially abused, but I don't think it's because Rodriguez meant to be racist (IF we are believing what Rodriguez said he said ... if he is lying then ignore the rest)

I think Rodriguez was simply being a childish ****, BUT I have read that being told that you smell or whatever is a very common racist slur used against Africans in predominantly white countries. I think bong had interpreted it as such and fully believes it was racially motivated, even if the intention wasn't at all racist. It's a hard one to sort out really as I doubt Bong will back down and I doubt Rodriguez will admit that it was racist.

What I will say though is that situations like this really show up racist dick heads for what they are on football forums & twitter etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I honestly cannot believe all that is going on concerning this on Twitter.

If anyone thinks that it is easy to make such allegations just needs to read about the abuse the young Liverpool lad is getting. Apparently even death threats for speaking out about being racially bullied and abused.

It is no wonder lots of this goes unreported. Gaetan Bong is to be admired for driving this as do the Club for the support of him in the matter. No white person on this forum and that includes myself can truly imagine what a black person has to endure. They get told to toughen up and accept it - Well as far as I am concerned. Good for Gaetan Bong and good for Brighton Football Club for saying ''No they don't'' - We are gonna make a stand on it.

You never see Bong argue with opposition players or referees on the pitch. The man claims he was racially abused, and we need to start believing people when this happens otherwise we go back 30 years and people just stop reporting it when it happens.

Tere still has to be an investigation to prove it but we DO have to believe it and take the allegations seriously.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I 100% believe that Bong thinks he has been racially abused, but I don't think it's because Rodriguez meant to be racist (IF we are believing what Rodriguez said he said ... if he is lying then ignore the rest)

I think Rodriguez was simply being a childish ****, BUT I have read that being told that you smell or whatever is a very common racist slur used against Africans in predominantly white countries. I think bong had interpreted it as such and fully believes it was racially motivated, even if the intention wasn't at all racist. It's a hard one to sort out really as I doubt Bong will back down and I doubt Rodriguez will admit that it was racist.

What I will say though is that situations like this really show up racist dick heads for what they are on football forums & twitter etc.

It wasn't just the gesture as Gaetan has specifically said 'There are some words should not be said on a football field' He has also said he asked Rodriguez what he said and it was repeated.

I agree with NooBHA, that Bong is not a player who whinges to referees or has a go at other players.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Even if the words may not be provable, the gesture is on film. I believe that the Laws of Football state that foul or abusive language can be by word or gesture and has the penalty of sending off albeit in this case retrospective. How many match bans does this earn?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It wasn't just the gesture as Gaetan has specifically said 'There are some words should not be said on a football field' He has also said he asked Rodriguez what he said and it was repeated.

I agree with NooBHA, that Bong is not a player who whinges to referees or has a go at other players.

I also agree that Bong is not the kind of player who whinges at all, I don’t think he’s made anything up. Just understand how it COULD have been a misunderstanding but I also don’t have all the facts so am making no judgement.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here