Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the pressure getting to Karanka?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I hope I'm not tempting fate here but we haven't really suffered from bad refereeing decisions.
I know we are trying to gain every tiny bit of edge that might help us achieve our dreams but at the end of the day it will be decided
On the pitch.
LVG has been criticised all season for showing no emotion yet we see Christ Hughton displaying the same emotions &
Salute him for his calmness.
Next Saturday we will need to play better than we have played all season if we are to get a result.
Boro will have 31000 fans creating a very hostile environment for our players & fans.
Current form will have no bearing on this game it will be about which team deals better with the pressure.

Derby away (penalty). Burnley away (penalty). Burnley home (Barton). Bolton away (sending off and blatant foul for equaliser) and Preston away (phantom offside goal) are five games that stand out as the officials ****ing us over.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Just saw the Sky post match interview.

The guy looks completely shattered and does like he's sleeping, a lot at stake for him if they fail again this year

My thoughts exactly!
Smudge.jpg

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Derby away (penalty). Burnley away (penalty). Burnley home (Barton). Bolton away (sending off and blatant foul for equaliser) and Preston away (phantom offside goal) are five games that stand out as the officials ****ing us over.

This..

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No, clubs can't do that, or they'd all be at it.

There is a holding company which supports Boro, in much the same way as Bloom does us. But it doesn't insulate either club from FFP regs.

Gibson reckons they have a Plan B if they don't go up this year...

Source: http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/boro-reveal-sharp-drop-annual-11156060

I think I was originally slightly misinterpreted by [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]

What Boro appear to have done is transferred their tax losses to other parts of the Steve Gibson empire, utilising something called group relief (cue gag about my film collection).

If you take a look at the Boro accounts here

Boro PL.PNG

this has the effect of reducing their losses from £20 million to £15 million in 2014, and from £9 million to £7 million in 2015.

If you contrast that with the Albion accounts for the same period

Albion 2015 PL.PNG

The Albion had no such transfer of tax, despite racking up eyewatering losses over the same period as Boro.

I've not taught tax for years so my knowledge is unreliable, and I also can't find out (mainly by being too lazy), how tax credits are treated for FFP purposes, but it was tax, rather than general trading losses, that I referred to in my original post, whenever or wherever that now exists on t'internet.

Apr 5, 2016
Impossible to say with certainty, but I think we would have 2 more points and Burnley one less, if Joey Barton had been sent off, as a majority feel he should have been, against us.
There have been others, but you have to accept that a certain amount of errors are going to go against you, and hopefully, roughly an equal number will go in your favour.

The majority of who? The people on here?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Lucky as in a deflected free kick was your winner. You could have played all day and not got another. I seem to remember Preston getting quite close to an equaliser on a number of occasions. Yes I don't think you were ever gonna lose that match but without a huge deflection for your goal, you weren't really cutting PNE open. Still on to QPR.

Hit the woodwork three times, if that's worth anything.

As for the penalty at Burnley which some Brighton fans think was an outrageous decision, it wasn't. By all means make an argument that not all refs would have given it or that there was a foul the other way as well, but the fact remains that your man was pulling our man;s shirt hard & high enough to expose his chest. Unlucky to have that sort of shirt pulling given? Possibly. But outrageous, no.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I hope I'm not tempting fate here but we haven't really suffered from bad refereeing decisions.
I know we are trying to gain every tiny bit of edge that might help us achieve our dreams but at the end of the day it will be decided
On the pitch.
LVG has been criticised all season for showing no emotion yet we see Christ Hughton displaying the same emotions &
Salute him for his calmness.
Next Saturday we will need to play better than we have played all season if we are to get a result.
Boro will have 31000 fans creating a very hostile environment for our players & fans.
Current form will have no bearing on this game it will be about which team deals better with the pressure.

Be nice if we don't need to win it though - wouldn't it.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Hit the woodwork three times, if that's worth anything.

As for the penalty at Burnley which some Brighton fans think was an outrageous decision, it wasn't. By all means make an argument that not all refs would have given it or that there was a foul the other way as well, but the fact remains that your man was pulling our man;s shirt hard & high enough to expose his chest. Unlucky to have that sort of shirt pulling given? Possibly. But outrageous, no.

That bullshit, you watch the replays again, Dunk was pulling the shirt granted, but one of your own players then pushed his shirt further up his back exposing his chest, so please get it right next time.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
That's pretty much the point, Dunk was pulling the shirt and the ref gave the penalty. Possibly Dunk was unlucky not to get away with it, but it's hard to argue the ref was flat out wrong.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That's pretty much the point, Dunk was pulling the shirt and the ref gave the penalty. Possibly Dunk was unlucky not to get away with it, but it's hard to argue the ref was flat out wrong.
A ref wouldn't be flat out wrong if he sent a player off for swearing. They just don't.

It was a ludicrous decision.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Understand about lost points
But these things do even out
Take a look at the other teams forums, and will see that they have same concerns
It's football it happens , we just need to believe and positive thoughts will see us over the line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here