Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the end, if the council want it to happen, it will. The Anston House redevelopment plans drew universal condemnation from locals and some councillors on the grounds of scale and even the B&HCC planning committee for its lack of affordable dwellings, but they were still approved. Committee chair Cllr Julie Cattell has a lot to answer for in many people's eyes, and I fervently hope Preston Park Ward voters take their revenge at the next election.

Anston House was plum for new homes, but the shear height and bulk of the approved plans was disgusting. In the winter months casting a new shadow over part of the park. It should not have been any higher to developments to its north.

Jul 7, 2003
Do you live within 10 miles of the proposed site ? if you do, ask the Mrs if she would like an IKEA at lancing.

I do, She doesn't and neither do I. Nothing against IKEA (never been, never plan to - just a poncy version of MFI:)) but that area should only be developed when a proper plan for the A27 is in place - not a few minor tweaks.

Anyone who has the torment of driving between Shoreham and Worthing on a daily basis will tell you that traffic is already a nightmare on both the A27 and A259 without adding in all those houses and a large retail unit. If they tied it into a proper Worthing & Lancing bypass then that would make sense but I know that is never likely to happen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do, She doesn't and neither do I. Nothing against IKEA (never been, never plan to - just a poncy version of MFI:)) but that area should only be developed when a proper plan for the A27 is in place - not a few minor tweaks.

Anyone who has the torment of driving between Shoreham and Worthing on a daily basis will tell you that traffic is already a nightmare on both the A27 and A259 without adding in all those houses and a large retail unit. If they tied it into a proper Worthing & Lancing bypass then that would make sense but I know that is never likely to happen.

You are very wrong about IKEA, but you'll never know that because you've already closed your mind.

I know the area around Meadowhall mentioned earlier, and the traffic there is far heavier than anything the A27 or A259 carries. That traffic situation has been improved by the store.
Remember when we wanted the Amex, and people in Rottingdean, Saltdean, Lewes etc were all screaming blue murder, despite the flyover being built to help traffic along past Moulsecoomb? It'll never work, they cried.

When I go to IKEA it tends to be during the day or later in the evening, not during rush hour, so that won't affect your commute. Taking out the Sussex Pad traffic lights will help the flow of traffic, rather than slowing it down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You are very wrong about IKEA, but you'll never know that because you've already closed your mind.

I know the area around Meadowhall mentioned earlier, and the traffic there is far heavier than anything the A27 or A259 carries. That traffic situation has been improved by the store.
Remember when we wanted the Amex, and people in Rottingdean, Saltdean, Lewes etc were all screaming blue murder, despite the flyover being built to help traffic along past Moulsecoomb? It'll never work, they cried.

When I go to IKEA it tends to be during the day or later in the evening, not during rush hour, so that won't affect your commute. Taking out the Sussex Pad traffic lights will help the flow of traffic, rather than slowing it down.

Agree about Ikea.

Stylish, decent quality furniture and homeware, at low cost. A great concept.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Agree about Ikea.

Stylish, decent quality furniture and homeware, at low cost. A great concept.

And the founder of Ikea recently died it gets my vote this - possibly a nice part-time job to give me some extra scheckles when retired as 15 minute walk away.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Bit pot calling kettle black there

As regards to taking out the traffic lights and replacing it with a roundabout...bit of a wait and see on that...once you are past that ...it backs up from oh a roundabout ...thats on current traffic volumes....it will go through ADC waves most developments ..personally I think Ikea is a bit dated ..but its obviously doing something right otherwise it wouldn't be making big bucks
Sx hundred homes...apparently 30% 'social'...no mention of whether this is to local residents though...wonder how many jobs will go to locals..hopefully a lot....other concern is as one would expect how local services will cope..I understand their is a new school(for one age group)..no new doctors surgery etc......there have been a fair number of developments in Shoreham and a fair number ongoing and one thing that is definitely suffering is my own surgery, their patient book has increased but not the doctors and the result is evident...anyway I digress too much ..re Ikea ...I don't think your own habits of travelling non 'rush hour' will make much of a difference

PS not sure anyone on here is screaming blue murder...just voicing local and relevant concern..nothing wrong with that is there

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In the end, if the council want it to happen, it will. The Anston House redevelopment plans drew universal condemnation from locals and some councillors on the grounds of scale and even the B&HCC planning committee for its lack of affordable dwellings, but they were still approved. Committee chair Cllr Julie Cattell has a lot to answer for in many people's eyes, and I fervently hope Preston Park Ward voters take their revenge at the next election.

Very true

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think anyone hoping that this development will be rejected might need to be realistic. It's not some out of the blue speculative idea. It was developed with the local plan in mind. Here is the policy on New Monk's Farm:

NewMonksFarm.PNG

As far as I can see, albeit from a quick scan, it meets the criteria set out in the local plan. I stand to be corrected of course. I think the Ikea is significantly larger than 10,000, but the policy only states a minimum of 10,000 so technically it meets the requirement. Even if it was rejected then I think it's highly likely the developer would appeal and I'd have thought they'd have a very good chance of having the decision overturned, given how aligned it is to the local plan.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

MFI made okay stuff, Ikea peddle cheaply made crap with amusing Nordic names to make them appear stylish....

Pickles

May 5, 2014
MFI made okay stuff, Ikea peddle cheaply made crap with amusing Nordic names to make them appear stylish....

A bit like Ulrika Jonssen then......

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
PS not sure anyone on here is screaming blue murder...just voicing local and relevant concern..nothing wrong with that is there

As a general rule, absolutely not.

However, some of the language locally has been bordering on the hysterical. I too have concerns about certain aspects of the plan - the flooding issue, for one. However, the developers know that, and are working on a solution - one which they believe they have found. It's THEN that we get the response from some locals of 'well, you can't trust what experts say...'

The latest protest does seem to now focus on IKEA, rather than the housing application. However, the antis' environmental concerns about the whole project would be the same with or without IKEA - so it appears IKEA are a largely convenient target for the protestors.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As a general rule, absolutely not.

However, some of the language locally has been bordering on the hysterical. I too have concerns about certain aspects of the plan - the flooding issue, for one. However, the developers know that, and are working on a solution - one which they believe they have found. It's THEN that we get the response from some locals of 'well, you can't trust what experts say...'

The latest protest does seem to now focus on IKEA, rather than the housing application. However, the antis' environmental concerns about the whole project would be the same with or without IKEA - so it appears IKEA are a largely convenient target for the protestors.

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that...the local MP seems to be focusing on the impact of the Ikea store

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Traffic flow at the airport and at Lancing Manor/Grinstead Lane should improve but the problems will just move further along into the Lyons Farm intersection. This country isn't big enough for the amount of cars - we need reliable alternative transport

Little difficult to carry a flat-packed BILLY bookcase back home on the train, however reliable it is!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Not entirely impossible that building a housing development close to where people want to go to work will actually REDUCE the amount of travelling. If everyone moving to the new estate were people currently living in Brighton but working in Worthing or living in Worthing and working in Brighton then actually the A27 might be a little less of a nightmare.

Not all changes are inherently bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here