Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
That's how I read it as well. I was pretty sympathetic to a lot of the staff concerns, but for me that's now draining away. Still hate SASTA as well though.
Normally in these kind of disputes you take sides. But with this all I can see is a really crap rail company fighting with a union only interested in holding on to its fading power. Neither give a shit about the passengers. It's like a crap depressing play.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
thats exactly where we are now. the sticking point is Southern want to be able to run trains without second staff when the network is all buggered up, while RMT dont want to allow this fearing it will lead to redundancy of the role over time.

But that's not where we are now!
Southern's last offer to resolve the issue included a clause that the role of the OBS (second staff member on board) be reviewed after 12 months...therefore giving them the option to get rid of them altogether....which is what they want. The no job losses promise is total lies and be under no illusion this whole charade is nothing but a pre cursor to getting rid of the second member of staff onboard all together!!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They have guaranteed the jobs until the end of their franchise?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Paddington rail crash survivor pledges support for RMT campaign to defend guards.
A survivor of the Paddington rail crash in October 1999 has pledged her full support for RMT’s campaign to defend the role of the guard on Southern Rail.

In the week that marks the 17th anniversary of the disaster, in which 31 people lost their lives and 520 were injured, Helen Mitchell has written to RMT with the following message of support:

“Dear Sirs,

As the anniversary of the Paddington train crash passed yesterday - I wanted to write and offer my voice in support of your dispute with Southern.

As a survivor of the crash in which 31 died and countless others were burnt and injured, I am only too aware of the role of the guard/conductor.

Colin, our guard helped many people and in my eyes was a hero, directing many survivors to safety. What did the drivers do you may ask?

Sadly, they were both immediately killed which for me underlines the deep importance of guards in the event of a serious incident.

We must not forget either that the incident was caused by lazy management and lack of communication.

I wish you well in your endeavours

Helen Mitchell”

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary said,

“We are grateful to Helen Mitchell for contacting the union and pledging her support for our campaign on Southern Rail. Her personal story illustrates just what a crucial role the guards fulfil on our railways, a role that goes way beyond the spin from Southern Rail about the opening and closing of doors.

“The guard was crucial at Paddington 17 years ago just as the guard was crucial in the landslip and derailment incident at Watford just two weeks ago.

“These are facts that cannot and should not be ignored by rail company’s like Southern who are seeking to put private profit before public safety. RMT will continue the fight to keep the guards on our trains and to keep the train safe.”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paddington rail crash survivor pledges support for RMT campaign to defend guards.
A survivor of the Paddington rail crash in October 1999 has pledged her full support for RMT’s campaign to defend the role of the guard on Southern Rail.

In the week that marks the 17th anniversary of the disaster, in which 31 people lost their lives and 520 were injured, Helen Mitchell has written to RMT with the following message of support:

“Dear Sirs,

As the anniversary of the Paddington train crash passed yesterday - I wanted to write and offer my voice in support of your dispute with Southern.

As a survivor of the crash in which 31 died and countless others were burnt and injured, I am only too aware of the role of the guard/conductor.

Colin, our guard helped many people and in my eyes was a hero, directing many survivors to safety. What did the drivers do you may ask?

Sadly, they were both immediately killed which for me underlines the deep importance of guards in the event of a serious incident.

We must not forget either that the incident was caused by lazy management and lack of communication.

I wish you well in your endeavours

Helen Mitchell”

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary said,

“We are grateful to Helen Mitchell for contacting the union and pledging her support for our campaign on Southern Rail. Her personal story illustrates just what a crucial role the guards fulfil on our railways, a role that goes way beyond the spin from Southern Rail about the opening and closing of doors.

“The guard was crucial at Paddington 17 years ago just as the guard was crucial in the landslip and derailment incident at Watford just two weeks ago.

“These are facts that cannot and should not be ignored by rail company’s like Southern who are seeking to put private profit before public safety. RMT will continue the fight to keep the guards on our trains and to keep the train safe.”

Surely this only asks this question: Why did the RMT allow other services to go fully DOO, when there will never be a second member of staff on board, unchecked?

I guess we should be thankful that Southern's plans do not include the removal of this person.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Really starting to grate. They don't care about safety. They care about money. And the sooner I can get to work without being affected by their militancy, the better.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I have not followed everything on here, and do not claim to be an expert in any way, but could not a solution be that the driver presses the button, as he can see with his mirror, or look down the platform much as a conductor can, and a second member of staff is always on board (ie no job losses) and concerns him/herself solely with the passengers. Is this too simple?

It's not just about the doors. If the train is derailed and the driver is incapacitated then the conductor, who currently has the training and relevant licences, would be able to get down on the track and protect the stricken train from being hit by another by laying track circuit clips which would put the next signals up and down line at danger.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's not just about the doors. If the train is derailed and the driver is incapacitated then the conductor, who currently has the training and relevant licences, would be able to get down on the track and protect the stricken train from being hit by another by laying track circuit clips which would put the next signals up and down line at danger.

Sounds serious. Any idea why the RMT weren't bothered about stopping full DOO implemenation elsewhere (which is also not what Southern are proposing)?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sounds serious. Any idea why the RMT weren't bothered about stopping full DOO implemenation elsewhere (which is also not what Southern are proposing)?

I would guess they were happy with the pay in those areas, this crap about it not been about money has worn thin now.

Union as always having today disregard for the customers it effects, they really want to recreate France through the ages now they have lost almost all support they want to hold on to the last bit of power they think they have whilst causing issues for millions

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Really starting to grate. They don't care about safety. They care about money. And the sooner I can get to work without being affected by their militancy, the better.
Agreed. Southern rail care more about money, share holder profits and director bonuses than they do about safety.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Agreed. Southern rail care more about money, share holder profits and director bonuses than they do about safety.

they might do but Southern dont make a profit and directors both there and in parent went without bonuses due to the shite performance from Southern. so buggered if i know what their motivation is.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
they might do but Southern dont make a profit and directors both there and in parent went without bonuses due to the shite performance from Southern. so buggered if i know what their motivation is.

They'll be on HUGE bonuses to implement/impose DOO on Southern as the commuter-led Judicial Review will hopefully shed some light on. They're certainly not doing it for fun.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What happened to deadline. Just tell conductors to accept or reject . If there not happy get another job. I use train everyday. Have been on many trains this year in Germany and all were driver only

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They'll be on HUGE bonuses to implement/impose DOO on Southern as the commuter-led Judicial Review will hopefully shed some light on. They're certainly not doing it for fun.

if you say so, sounds like speculation rather than known facts. i cant see DOO is going to provide much improvements to finances, seeing as they'd retained all the staff.

[MENTION=20814]amexer[/MENTION], i read that the letters for redundancy and reapplying for new role go out today.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
if you say so, sounds like speculation rather than known facts. i cant see DOO is going to provide much improvements to finances, seeing as they'd retained all the staff.

[MENTION=20814]amexer[/MENTION], i read that the letters for redundancy and reapplying for new role go out today.

The funny thing is that the letters were sent out before yesterdays talks began, makes you wonder why SASTA even bothered to turn up yesterday

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The guards need to be realistic, doubt other employers will be keen on employing them !!!!!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The funny thing is that the letters were sent out before yesterdays talks began, makes you wonder why SASTA even bothered to turn up yesterday

I have to agree Ernest.

The line had been drawn in the sand.

It has now been crossed. Good luck everybody!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
if you say so, sounds like speculation rather than known facts.

The known facts will only come out via the Judicial Review. The cosy arrangement between Southern/GTR and DfT is currently confidential commercial information. Wonder why that would be?

i cant see DOO is going to provide much improvements to finances, seeing as they'd retained all the staff.

The second member of staff is going from being mandatory to being optional. So the aim will be to phase them out ASAP to lob another one-off two-bob dividend into the shareholders pockets.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here