Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson tips us to go down

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Two things occur to me re Merson and the Amex:

1. Sheffield Wednesday play-offs, 2nd leg - that WAS an intimidating atmosphere and if we need three points to stay up in our last home game of the season I don't see why it wouldn't be the same all over again.
2. When Swansea came up pundits thought they'd struggle but they finished 11th and 9th in their first two season and the atmosphere they created in the Liberty Stadium (capacity 21,000) was a big factor. Our ground hold 9,000 more than that.

That Blunkett quote...

“I’ve never experienced anything, in the many years I’ve been a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, like the first quarter of that game last night. It was a forcefield. It was a forcefield on the pitch and off it. The sound was unbelievable, the emotion was so high that we were all literally shaking."

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
That's because they knew they were coming to play the (2nd) best team in the league. I'd be very surprised if any of them thought that this year.

But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams.

He didn't mention what league .

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Mmmm Paul Merson and Stuart Pearce, both as thick as whales snot, so we are no nearer in knowing how we are going to do from the 'experts'
Quinn does not even register with me as a human being so that is that one out of the window.
And Talksport is akin to a home for kids with 'special needs'
One thing is for sure, if we do better than expected, watch them all u turn and start creaming themselves about us.
Football pundits, most commentators and ex pros are like children at times and make my piss boil.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
They hear one pundit say something and they all agree just to be in the pack and save face if they are wrong.
Brighton may struggle but so might a number of other teams .
But what really does my head is their total lack of knowledge about any team that hasn't been in the Premier for a few seasons ,in fact I can see them now quickly scrambling to get their notes concerning anything relating to Brighton or Uuudersfield when asked a question.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
That Blunkett quote...

“I’ve never experienced anything, in the many years I’ve been a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, like the first quarter of that game last night. It was a forcefield. It was a forcefield on the pitch and off it. The sound was unbelievable, the emotion was so high that we were all literally shaking."
Is that for real and a direct quote?

I went to the first leg and the noise was incredible, I stopped singing and just listened. Bloody awesome.

Second leg, I thought was just as good. I spoke to Wednesday fans after and they thought it was better than the first leg.

Either way, we should be doing it and we will have to do it every game. Bring it on..

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's been a number of years since I was intimidated at an away ground as a fan, nevermind the comforts and seclusion the players get.

I hardly think any of our players are going to think, "damn i'm not looking forward to going to old trafford!" It's a ****ing morgue like many others.
Completely correct. All the dinosaurs going on about an "intimidating atmosphere", when was the last time you actually experienced one away?

It's bullshit but it gives the likes of ppf something to **** over I suppose.

My son laughed at the "come on then, you outside! Etc" antics of the mongs at Elland Road when he was six. We won of course despite their "intimidating atmosphere".

It's nonsense.

Which Premier League clubs have this x factor from the crowd which makes them successful? Palace maybe? Oh.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
On the basis that most of 'Mersons' predictions produce the opposite result I think I am pleased with his decision as it surely means we will be safe from relegation this season.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Most people are going to have us down as bottom three and pretty much everyone else will say 17th.

Why wouldn't they? We've come up from the Championship and haven't blown millions and millions on established Premier League players. Our existing squad is lacking PL experience and the manager has question marks over his time in the PL.

On paper, as far as most observers can see, we're definitely one of the favourites to go down. It's just that old adage that says football isn't played on paper.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
I don't think teams would fancy coming to the Amex if we left something in the changing rooms?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.

I would agree if our home record at The Amex wasn't so good !

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Completely correct. All the dinosaurs going on about an "intimidating atmosphere", when was the last time you actually experienced one away?

Which Premier League clubs have this x factor from the crowd which makes them successful? Palace maybe? Oh.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I think you're right - Palace CAN be intimidating. Middlesborough was intimidating for the last game two years ago (albeit not in the Prem)...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Out of the bunch of maverick ex-players gathered every Saturday around the excellent Jeff Stelling, Merson is always the most negative, spiteful and the least cerebral by some margin.

If we're losing this coming season and it's his turn to watch our game, he will get on Albion fans nerves with his know-it-all doom and gloom assessment of the Albion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really original thinking to put the three promoted clubs in the bottom four. Bit different from Dean Saunders who was asking the Corals representative for a price on BHA to finish in the top half!
Always going to be tipped to go down, Telegraph reckons we'll be rock bottom. Of course newly promoted teams face that challenge, but these 'pundits' don't really base it on much. IMO, we've strengthened as well as some lower-mid teams, we're just missing a striker.

Quite. Traditionally, promoted teams are always listed as favourites to go down. If they manage to stay up they will be listed as possibly going down due to 'second season syndrome'. Over the last couple of seasons, there have been the likes of Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, Swansea who have had poor seasons and looked like they would struggle the following year, giving pundits something extra to add to their predictable 'promoted three will go down' soothsaying. Burnley and Bournemouth will now, in the eyes of these pundits, have established themselves enough to see off the other new boys. Newcastle will have been galvanised by the experience of relegation and bounced right back. So it has largely reverted back to tradition: promoted teams, especially those without premier league history, will be seen as favourites to go down.

A lot will change when the season is underway and we discover that a surprise team is underperforming, and some of the supposedly weaker teams are excelling.

"But I just see Brighton as a nice place to go for away teams. You're not going to go there and think: "Oh my God, I don't fancy this."

Personally, I think he is right there. It's something we need to change.

I don't tend to go to away games. When I have, I haven't really found any ground that has made me feel like that. I don't know that we really have that sort of culture in the premier league (maybe millwall or leeds outside the premier league, but that is more related to fan trouble and violence rather than aggressive sing songs). A combination of tourists in grounds, high price of tickets, newer stadiums for quite a few teams has reduced the intimidation factor in most grounds.

I think the only thing that makes me think 'I don't fancy this' are the teams we face and their and our form. People aren't scared of old trafford, they're scared of man utd. They're not scared of stamford bridge, they're scared of Chelsea. Etc.

We're making our premier league bow. Of course people aren't going to be intimidated by our team. Even if we storm the league, people will not be scared of us, the same way they weren't scared of Leicester in their title winning season. We'd need years of domination for people to be scared of us.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He can barely speak - who gives a #### what he thinks - even Arsenal fans think he's a knob !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here