Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El Abd

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The dire end of season game against reading I think in first AMEX season was only made watchable for me by watching him and Jason Roberts wrestle each other for the full 90 minutes. Highlight was when they ended up on a heap on the ground with the ball miles away for the umpteenth time, the ref had yet another word with a look of lost disappointment on his face and as he trotted off they helped each other up both laughing with shit eating grins on their faces.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The dire end of season game against reading I think in first AMEX season was only made watchable for me by watching him and Jason Roberts wrestle each other for the full 90 minutes. Highlight was when they ended up on a heap on the ground with the ball miles away for the umpteenth time, the ref had yet another word with a look of lost disappointment on his face and as he trotted off they helped each other up both laughing with shit eating grins on their faces.

Yes. That battle was awesome. I seem to recall AEL giving similar to David Nugent a short while later who, poor flower, could Not Cope.

Also, I seem to recall it was AEA who pushed a wall out of position so Vicente could get a better view for a free kick goal that added to his legend.

Adamelabd - d'doo d d d!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
yep gus turned him in to a footballer

I remember when Gus came in he immediately said El-Abd was the best at defending at the club. I remember the wording specifically because he wasn't saying he was the defender, necessarily, but the best AT defending. At the time it seemed a ridiculous thing to say because he was very much a punchline at that time, having had a go at full back and holding in midfield.

Then Gus put him at centre back and he was a revelation, solid as a rock and reliable every game. He deservedly won player of the season when we put League One in the bin, he was a mountain at the back having proven himself to be Greer's deserving partner and ousting Elphick. El-Abd is also the reason (initially) why Dunk had to wait years to get into the team, and why Steve Cook never did and was sold, along with Elphick. It's only when Matt Upson came in that El-Abd lost his place and at that time he was a reasonable, if limited, Championship centre back.

It's very sad to see him struggling to get game time even in League 1, but he should get picked up somewhere. He would be excellent for a club like Luton, clearly more than capable in League 2 and then able to make the step up when they get promoted this season. He must have offers on the table and if he doesn't then I'd be amazed, and maybe start believing people who question his attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here