Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio Turn Offs

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Is Paul Miller the chap who always comes on after the football on Radio Sussex? If so, I concur. As camp as a Boy Scout jamboree but hilarious in his inane inoffensiveness and the way that he flirts with the old dears.

Yes, yes it is. His show is a guilty pleasure of mine, it's hilarious. Often stick it on if I'm driving home from a late shift.

It's like he's sat gossiping in a doctor's waiting room: "And next up we have Marjorie from Farnham, evening Marjorie my love, lovely to hear from you again, are you well?"

Whereby Marjorie launches off into a spiel about how she's been a bit under the weather, and her hip's been playing up, and she's due to have a minor operation on Thursday etc, before eventually getting round to making a laughably crap guess at the (no prize) phone in competition answer.

Then it's all dramatic pauses and "oooh, it's good...but....wronggggg! Goodnight my love! Bye bye! Bye bye!".

It's genius. I highly recommend it :lol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Worst: Liza Tarbuck/Kermode & Mayo Film zzzz/Alan Green.

My favourite show each week is on Absolute 80s. Sunday 7-9 pm called Forgotten 80s. Thoroughly recommend it to those of a certain age who were into both chart & (more so) singles/bands that only made the outer reaches of the chart.
Good - another vote for carting Kermit and Mayo's skull-numbing film revue off on a one-way journey in a tumbril!

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I find Mary Anne Hobbs voice so intensely irritating I have to switch channel immediately

I worship the airwaves Lauren Lavergne's voice travels over but almost every other female on 6 Music grates, whether MAH, CM, that irritating music news woman or news anchor Claire Runacres. That said 6 Music is still the dogs. No other station comes close imho.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Most radio presenters piss me off trying to constantly be funny

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
In my continuing, arguably pointless, attempts to become more than the awful human being I am (or at least impersonate functioning), I try to listen to Radio 4 when possible. The Today programme is laughable. No-one in real life talks like the presenters. Humphrys and Webb are cartoonishly patronising and plummy. Who rolls their r's? It's anachronistic. A vision of old England. Which is also where The Archers is. Stiff upper lip, what-ho. The script-writing is awful. I don't think anyone's got the guts to get rid of it or the Today smuggards. They're so lodged in the firmament.

Keaveny on 6 seems constantly disingenuous with his tired-of-it-all, i-work-too schtick when he's doubtless paid handsomely. But i suppose relating pay to happiness is a dangerous hole to run down.

I often get trapped listening to snippets of Heart in the morning. It's reassuring how fiercely they clearly hate each other and their empty job. I've never met local radio folk who didn't.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just me who loves Kermode and Mayo?

Probably.

Besides which, I can't take anyone named after a toilet seat seriously I'm afraid.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Hard to think of a bigger arse than Kelvin Mackenzie. Hit that off button in a nanosecond if he ever crawls out of his hole.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I too listen to the R4 today programme and agree Humphreys is a bit of a dick.

However he pales into insignificance compared to one of the speakers they have on Thought For The Day, at about 07:50. Anne Atkins. I have never heard anyone sound so smug and self righteous. The radio always goes off as soon as I know it's her and goes back on again 3-4 minutes later when I know the airwaves are safe.

'Thought for the Day' Ms Atkins? Well, I've got a short one for you. It's only 2 words long and the 2nd word is "off".

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hard to think of a bigger arse than Kelvin Mackenzie. Hit that off button in a nanosecond if he ever crawls out of his hole.

The man is a total idiot, but beaten by a huge margin by Katie Hopkins.
What the hell is LBC doing putting this cockroach of a woman on the air and paying her.
I once dared myself to listen to her for a whole programme, I failed and switched off after 15 minutes, impossible to listen to.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I too listen to the R4 today programme and agree Humphreys is a bit of a dick.

However he pales into insignificance compared to one of the speakers they have on Thought For The Day, at about 07:50. Anne Atkins. I have never heard anyone sound so smug and self righteous. The radio always goes off as soon as I know it's her and goes back on again 3-4 minutes later when I know the airwaves are safe.

'Thought for the Day' Ms Atkins? Well, I've got a short one for you. It's only 2 words long and the 2nd word is "off".

I was like that when they had the WI ladies on R6's round table. Radio went straight off.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Mar, Mar, err,r Mar, Mar, errr, err, err, Mark 'err' Radcliffe. I mean WTF. Drives me mad with his err, err, err, err, err ,err in every frigging sentence. In a Glasto 'between songs' slot, I counted 18 errs.. in about 2 mins of talking. Had to turn it off even though i loved watching it. :shootself:guns:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The man is a total idiot, but beaten by a huge margin by Katie Hopkins.
What the hell is LBC doing putting this cockroach of a woman on the air and paying her.
I once dared myself to listen to her for a whole programme, I failed and switched off after 15 minutes, impossible to listen to.

Luckily I've never had the pleasure of hearing her on the radio. I gather she's just cost the Daily Fail 150 grand in libel damages.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Well it seems my initial rant has struck a chord.
So it's Game On

Nominations, and supporting evidence for current nominees close later this week and the competition will run next week so we can name our champion before the end of the year. Depends how many nominations we get whether it's group stages or straight knock out.

Maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will be able to tweet a link to the finalists who by their very nature are likely to be the sort of people who would probably vote for themselves.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Okay [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION], I'll see your Johnny Yawn and raise you that buglecunt Chris Moyles.

If I'm on wifi, its radio 6 and nothing else. Radio X shits, pisses and vomits on the grave of XFM. I quite like Johnny Yawn but when buglecunt Moyles failed to play a single song during a half hour drive in one morning because he couldn't stop himself prattling out his usual attention seeking drivel, I vowed never again. Don't get me started on that cockwomble Vernon Kaye either. Not hat long ago, he started playing a Bowie song and then said it would be wrong to talk over it. He's as thick as he is bland.

So right [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION], Radio X is old Radio 1 in all its sanctimonious glory, they've totally destroyed the music ethics of the former XFM, where decent music was played with dj's who knew what they were talking about.
As for buglec**t, Modules, pie tester for Gregg's in the making :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here