Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should you be allowed to marry...........

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Should you be allowed to marry someone without first seeking legal advice and a pre-contract drawn up ?

Following on from another thread re; Divorce, it strikes me odd, that we are allowed to enter into a really binding contract while we are effectively 'drunk' on emotions.........only to find out years later as we ( not all...but a lot) sober up, that we are then bound by law to an often unequal tearing up of that contract.

If we buy a house, every nook and cranny legally is covered and takes months to conclude, but marriage......oh, go on luv....do it....just sign here and grab a couple of witnesses off the street. All done in 20 minutes. No background checks needed,

Thoughts ?

Drunk on emotions? I know people who met and married within 6 weeks, who are still together decades later, and others who courted for years, before marrying who then split up.
Emotions are only highly charged for a couple of years, and then it settles down to deep affection and sexual attraction.

Marriage is hard work. The harder you work at it, the more successful it is, but it must come from both sides. Don't think the grass is greener, concentrate on watering your own grass.

Allowed to marry? Blimey, I was one of the very last ones who had to wait to 21 to marry without permission. I made my own decisions.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Drunk on emotions? I know people who met and married within 6 weeks, who are still together decades later, and others who courted for years, before marrying who then split up.
Emotions are only highly charged for a couple of years, and then it settles down to deep affection and sexual attraction.

Marriage is hard work. The harder you work at it, the more successful it is, but it must come from both sides. Don't think the grass is greener, concentrate on watering your own grass.

Allowed to marry? Blimey, I was one of the very last ones who had to wait to 21 to marry without permission. I made my own decisions.

Sounds kinky.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Should you be allowed to marry someone without first seeking legal advice and a pre-contract drawn up ?

Following on from another thread re; Divorce, it strikes me odd, that we are allowed to enter into a really binding contract while we are effectively 'drunk' on emotions.........only to find out years later as we ( not all...but a lot) sober up, that we are then bound by law to an often unequal tearing up of that contract.

If we buy a house, every nook and cranny legally is covered and takes months to conclude, but marriage......oh, go on luv....do it....just sign here and grab a couple of witnesses off the street. All done in 20 minutes. No background checks needed,

Thoughts ?

Yes i think you should be allowed.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Thoughts ?

Don't get married.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Yes i think you should be allowed.

You certainly have given some compelling and reasoned arguments for your view...........but for the moment I will stay in the undecided camp.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
You certainly have given some compelling and reasoned arguments for your view...........but for the moment I will stay in the undecided camp.

This is a very personal subject, hence it is very subjective. However for me it comes down to trust and self-determination. A) I don't need anyone giving me legal advice on something that is as complex as a relationship, which i wouldn't have even listened to anyway. B) Rather naively i am sure, if we were to divorce the finances, are not the aspect that i think i would be most concerned about.

Conor Oberst has a lyric that sums up my thoughts, "every insurance just magnifies the doubt"

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It gives women a substantial amount more security, even with the feminist push for equality...

I don't know a single male that has got a divorce that hasn't been totally shafted by it. Why men agree to marry now (beyond genuine religious reasons) is beyond me...

Getting married does give you (IIRC) greater rights in respect of any children should you split up.
So yes no-one should marry a bride who isn't demonstrably not meant to wear white.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There should be a January transfer window whilst you get to test them out for a season and pay their running costs only before signing them up

Like taking them on trial?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Maybe we should just have renewable contracts.

Dave and Emma told marriage magazines official website: "We are delighted to have signed on another years rolling marriage contract and are pleased to welcome Savage the dog on a new 2 year contract to the household.
"Savage is a dog we have been aware of for some time and it's been no secret we have wanted to add an animal of his type into the house. We're delighted to get the signing over the line’’
"Dave is a strong, powerful and quick in the bedroom, with a real eye for goal on a Friday night. He will increase our attacking options after a few cans of Stella Artois. A new one year contract is the least he deserves after consolidating his position at the local Estate agents ’’
"Emma already has a prolific goal record in the Royal Oak and it is one we hope she continues with Dave here on Dale Street’’

Savage is expected to make his debut in the park next month chasing sticks and children around the playground.

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Dave and Emma told marriage magazines official website: "We are delighted to have signed on another years rolling marriage contract and are pleased to welcome Savage the dog on a new 2 year contract to the household.
"Savage is a dog we have been aware of for some time and it's been no secret we have wanted to add an animal of his type into the house. We're delighted to get the signing over the line’’
"Dave is a strong, powerful and quick in the bedroom, with a real eye for goal on a Friday night. He will increase our attacking options after a few cans of Stella Artois. A new one year contract is the least he deserves after consolidating his position at the local Estate agents ’’
"Emma already has a prolific goal record in the Royal Oak and it is one we hope she continues with Dave here on Dale Street’’

Savage is expected to make his debut in the park next month chasing sticks and children around the playground.

very good! :lolol:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

So with the marriage on a rolling contract, but Savage on a two year contract, I fear the dog may be taking them to court for outstanding treats if it all goes wrong.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

*applause*

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm not sure where I saw it but one lawyer in US wants everyone to get an agreed upon internet contract "hearted" (give an OK) to before ever having sex with another person. Now that takes a lot of the excitement out of life!

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I'm not sure where I saw it but one lawyer in US wants everyone to get an agreed upon internet contract "hearted" (give an OK) to before ever having sex with another person. Now that takes a lot of the excitement out of life!

But will be a life saver heaven forbid you were ever arrested for a serious sexual offence when you thought it was consensual in a slightly inebriated state.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

Thoughts ?

It sounds as though you may not feel comfortable doing so, but those who treat marriage properly should.
Marriage should be a declaration of a couple's commitment to each other - it's as much about what effort you are prepared to put into the relationship as what you expect to get out of it. Approached that way (ie, as a relationship you want to develop rather than as a legal arrangement), I personally don't feel that there should be any real need for a pre-nup, as there will be more effort to "make it work" and a reluctance to allow it to break down in an acrimonious fashion, making it more likely that any separation would be handled in a grown-up and sensitive manner.

Furthermore, if the worst comes to the worst and a relationship does break down irrecoverably, my opinion is that the circumstances at that point in time should determine how it is handled, not the circumstances at the start of the relationship. So I don't see the value in a pre-nup unless the relationship breaks down fairly quickly. In fact, I could see it causing severe complications if neither party now actually feels that the original agreement is appropriate, but have to try to work from that as it is legally binding.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
My divorce should be finalised in the summer, very much doubt id get married again with or without a contract of some sorts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here