Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus throws a strop at Bordeaux (looks like a French glass ceiling)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He was fun and we were probably the best place for him, sadly he didn't realise and had some cockwomble moments towards the end. Worked out pretty well for us though and he seems to have had failure after failure despite some good jobs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well look at YOU Mr Visionary! :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, You Were Not Alone. Far from it. IMHO his greatest achievement by far was to teach Adam El-Abd and T Elphick (like toddlers learning to walk at the age of 20+) to play the ball on the ground, half a dozen times, to each other, square across the back against lowly opposition, then back to the keeper, who would then aimlessly hoof the ball up the pitch instead of either of them doing it. Total football YAY! :nono:

Put your claws away, pussycat. We all know you never liked him, but try to resist getting the digs in.

Beanstalk is right. Most of the fans loved that 2010/11 season, when having rescued us from relegation the season before, we got a record number of points, won 8 matches out of 8 in March, went to the top of the division in September and stayed there despite Adkins saying we'd never keep up.

Yes, it went wrong in the end, but most managerial posts do. The average lifespan of any manager now is 18 months, and he was with us for three years.

Leave what was past, in the past, and stop being so bitchy all of you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Put your claws away, pussycat. We all know you never liked him, but try to resist getting the digs in.

Beanstalk is right. Most of the fans loved that 2010/11 season, when having rescued us from relegation the season before, we got a record number of points, won 8 matches out of 8 in March, went to the top of the division in September and stayed there despite Adkins saying we'd never keep up.

Yes, it went wrong in the end, but most managerial posts do. The average lifespan of any manager now is 18 months, and he was with us for three years.

Leave what was past, in the past, and stop being so bitchy all of you.

Bloke had no class when he was with us and patently hasn't learnt any since.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bloke had no class when he was with us and patently hasn't learnt any since.

That's your opinion, you're entitled to it, and I know that you've always held that opinion. There are many others who are now pretending they always had that opinion, too.

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
:lolol:

That reminds me of the cat joke...

One is called "One Two Three" the other is called "Un Deux Trois." Which cat survives?

I'll get my coat

"One Two Three" because un deux trois cat sank

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Loved him in 2010/11, obviously. Why wouldn't we?

In 2012/13 he proved everything was all about HIM and NOTHING about the club. If we had beaten Palace and then Watford in the final, his blatent pimping of himself to 'bigger' clubs would have been a bit problematical. He couldn't be seen to be chasing another job after achieving promotion.

Instead, he sends the team out at The Amex with ludicrous tactics, knowing that it could well result in a defeat, which it did, obviously.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:lolol:

That reminds me of the cat joke...

One is called "One Two Three" the other is called "Un Deux Trois." Which cat survives?

I'll get my coat

"One Two Three" because un deux trois cat sank

You forgot to say they were swimming the Channel.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In fairness, because we all love a good Gus bashing now we've proved him wrong, Bordeaux did sell their best player to Barcelona for €41 million. If that was us and we hadn't signed ANYBODY there would be no toys left in the Albion pram.

And for those saying you never loved him, you are all liars with short memories. Sealing promotion by winning a 7 goal thriller at the theatre of trees, a 97th minute winner in our opening league game at the Amex and getting to see Vicente in the stripes. It may have ended in pretty petty fashion but it was bloody fun whilst it lasted!

I think love is probably a tad too much for GP.
Possibly a plausible admiration for him, in the way he got the Albion playing the attractive football, that had been yearned for by the fans.
He was a breathe of fresh air for the club at the time, which in all honesty, was brilliant.
Both have moved on from that relationship, we are in a better place without him, whilst he can go on having teddy out of the cot moments, at other clubs.
IMO, he's like a poor man's Mourinho, with all the sulking and pouting, but not quite getting he bigger picture.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Loved him in 2010/11, obviously. Why wouldn't we?

In 2012/13 he proved everything was all about HIM and NOTHING about the club. If we had beaten Palace and then Watford in the final, his blatent pimping of himself to 'bigger' clubs would have been a bit problematical. He couldn't be seen to be chasing another job after achieving promotion.

Instead, he sends the team out at The Amex with ludicrous tactics, knowing that it could well result in a defeat, which it did, obviously.

I have often wondered if he lost interest in that play off game against Palace and was making a point in doing it. Nobody would do that would they? I don’t remember any encouragement from the dugout but maybe I just didn’t notice. The early Gus was pure entertainment on the touch line. First game at the Amex he got banished to the press box. Not sure we had any antics, just acceptance at the Palace game, but I could be wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was the perfect manager for BHA at the perfect time. Up until the fallout of the Playoffs he'd done an absolutely brilliant job, completely transforming us from a bunch of hopeless scufflers at the arse-end of the third division, to all-conquering Champions within 18 months, and Playoff contenders a year after that. Along the way we had some absolutely scintillating results and performances - Charlton away will live long in the memory, and I wish I'd got to Peterboro a couple of weeks after that.

It all ended on a sour note, as these journies often do. Not everything always ends perfectly. But anyone who says Poyet was not absolutely brilliant for this club has got their head rammed up their arse.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I liked Poyet a lot until he intervened in the Suarez debate and when any bigger clubs managers left and we kept getting the one day maybe I manage them crap.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He was the perfect manager for BHA at the perfect time. Up until the fallout of the Playoffs he'd done an absolutely brilliant job, completely transforming us from a bunch of hopeless scufflers at the arse-end of the third division, to all-conquering Champions within 18 months, and Playoff contenders a year after that. Along the way we had some absolutely scintillating results and performances - Charlton away will live long in the memory, and I wish I'd got to Peterboro a couple of weeks after that.

It all ended on a sour note, as these journies often do. Not everything always ends perfectly. But anyone who says Poyet was not absolutely brilliant for this club has got their head rammed up their arse.

This, with whopping great bells on.

We can trace virtually everything that has been achieved in the past couple of seasons to what GP started. If we'd have still been washing around the lower reaches of League One when we moved into the Amex, we wouldn't be in this position today. What's more the style with which we won the division seemed to give the whole club a leg up.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I love the fact that we now have the perfect gentleman in charge, rather than this odious cockball. Even his biggest lovers seem to have stopped defending him .

Absolutely Amazing in League 1, but sadly brainwashed an entire city into thinking he was perfect when he was simply an egomaniac who knew how to play good football in the lower leagues. Totally ****ed it with Murray, nearly redeemed himself with Ulloa but ****ed it again with a team that frankly should have gone up automatically anyway. Then left in typical Poyet fashion with no respect for the club at all, it all had to be him.

Thanks for the wonderful memories, but he can go **** himself.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I liked Poyet a lot until he intervened in the Suarez debate and when any bigger clubs managers left and we kept getting the one day maybe I manage them crap.

The touting of himself around towards the end did get tedious, but I don't think he "intervened" in the Suarez case. As a fellow Uruguayan he was asked his opinion on it, and Gus being Gus, couldn't resist running his mouth off in totally misguided support of him. Which was ill-judged, but probably entirely predictable. He's a newspaper hacks dream in that respect.

None of that alters or detracts from the superb job he did at BHA. He transformed the culture at this club, turned us into serial winners, dragged us from the doldrums and helped set us on an upward trajectory that we're still enjoying now. Hughton has now taken us to even newer heights - but Gus was the catalyst.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Nail.

Head.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This, with whopping great bells on.

We can trace virtually everything that has been achieved in the past couple of seasons to what GP started. If we'd have still been washing around the lower reaches of League One when we moved into the Amex, we wouldn't be in this position today. What's more the style with which we won the division seemed to give the whole club a leg up.

Exactly.

Still doesn't stop some people from focusing purely on the negatives though does it. I couldn't really give a shit about him gobbing off in public, the touting for jobs, his ego etc. The bottom line is, he got results, and he put this club back on the map. We could easily have ended up with a mediocre manager from the failed managers merry-go-round, and been spaffing around trying to get out of the 3rd division for a few seasons. Bigger clubs than BHA certainly have struggled to get out of that League.

We got Gus though. He galvanised the club from the moment he walked in, and the rest is history.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

My thoughts exactly.

I remember Barnes coming on and hitting the bar at 0-0. The what may have been moment, before we collapsed at the end. Thankfully we don't have to lament that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here