Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That is because it is a crime. The key to doing illegal things is to be very discrete about it and don't get caught. Due to the anti social nature of smoking weed, it is right that 94% of the population are given protection by the law from this activity.
I'm part of the 94% (if that figure is even correct) and I want to see decriminalisation to reduce crime, stop criminals from profiting from drug use, save huge sums of money for the country, make young people safer and prevent unnecessary deaths etc etc etc.

You want to be "protected". A very strange and completely illogical stance. But quell surprise.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Out of interest what do you think ARE the potential health risks if ingested. Remember people with underlying mental health problems will have them exacerbated by alcohol and even just modern living so don't rely on that one. Genuine question about what you think.

Rather than me posting a number of links here, I suggest you google "cannabis psychosis risk". Here is one link - https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180618/young-marijuana-users-face-psychosis-risk#1

Anectdotally, one of my nephews used cannabis as a teenager and developed schizophrenia.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Rather than me posting a number of links here, I suggest you google "cannabis psychosis risk". Here is one link - https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180618/young-marijuana-users-face-psychosis-risk#1

Anectdotally, one of my nephews used cannabis as a teenager and developed schizophrenia.

That link is interesting. Although it is worth noting that the participants were very young.

I had a look at this examination of a number of studies also and i think you are right there looks like there is a link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2424288/

With this in mind though I would suggest that through legalisation people are able to have more information on, and more choice of, what they consume.

I wonder also how much the figures are changed by amount smoked and the strength and type of cannabis consumed.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

What, a report suggesting cannabis may be bad for your mental health? Surely not.

"One of the problems in trying to assess a causal relationship between cannabis and mental health outcomes is the chicken or egg issue. Is it that people who are prone to mental health problems are more attracted to cannabis, or is it something about the onset of cannabis use that influences the acceleration of psychosis symptoms?" says Conrod.

I wonder if Stonedham's mental health issues started before or after he started getting high.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What, a report suggesting cannabis may be bad for your mental health? Surely not.

"One of the problems in trying to assess a causal relationship between cannabis and mental health outcomes is the chicken or egg issue. Is it that people who are prone to mental health problems are more attracted to cannabis, or is it something about the onset of cannabis use that influences the acceleration of psychosis symptoms?" says Conrod.

I wonder if Stonedham's mental health issues started before or after he started getting high.

classy :facepalm:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

That report should not be ignored, but it is not conclusive. It is quite likely that the more troubled your mind, the more likely you are to seek escapism. In any case the link is to adolescents who would, I assume, have similar barriers to cannabis as to Alcohol if cannabis were legalised, and in Canada's example, punishment for illegal sales to minors is more severe than the dealer would have faced under the old system.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No cannabis probably EXPOSED his schizophrenia not CAUSED it.

There is a gene COMT that is indicated as a variant giving an increased risk of Schizophrenia, but only with using substances that increase dopamine in adolescence. That is to say neither the gene nor the substance is responsible, but the combination increases the risk of later developing schizophrenia. Around 5% to 10% of schizophrenia cases are thought to have this gene/dope root.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That report should not be ignored, but it is not conclusive.
No I'm sure it's not.

In any case the link is to adolescents who would, I assume, have similar barriers to cannabis as to Alcohol if cannabis were legalised, and in Canada's example, punishment for illegal sales to minors is more severe than the dealer would have faced under the old system.
We know that millions of adolescents have alcohol, and I don't think there is the same link with schizophrenia.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Please don't associate me with your flippant remarks or views regarding mental health.
It's a hugely important issue, with multiple members of NSC whom suffer. This casual and possibly mocking attitude is something I absolutely do not want to be a part of.

Oh sorry, is it only ok for him to take the piss, but no one can take the piss back?

I'm thick skinned enough to not be personally hurt or insulted by your (or anyone's) piss-taking. No harm done.
With regards to me having taken the piss, I apologize to [MENTION=35479]btnbelle[/MENTION] regarding the 'dunce' icon, this wasn't constructive and it's not something I would have said to her face-to-face. And as a general rule, you should only type what you would say 'in real life'. So my bad there BtnBelle.

For clarity, apart from his biased comments in this thread, I'm unaware of any mental health issues he does or doesn't have.

I'd be eager to know why you think my comments are biased. This was an interesting assumption.

Edit: With regards to the WebMD link. I have no issues with the validity of the study.
From what I quickly read, 3000+ 12-13 year children who smoke weed were asked to complete a survey over a one year period, and the answers to the survey one year later indicated that the children who consumed cannabis for one year had given answers which predicted more psychosis symptoms a year later.

I completely agree that people should not consume cannabis (or any psychedelic/brain altering drug) until their brain is fully formed/they are an adult. Hence the strict enforcement of up to 14 year jail terms for those caught providing minors with cannabis.

However, I believe that if I was given a survey to complete (or diary entry or whatever), between 12-13 years old, as an adolescent male with large amounts testosterone bouncing around my body for the first time in my life, I believe my answers to the survey would also indicate more/higher psychosis symptoms.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Please don't associate me with your flippant remarks or views regarding mental health.
You made remarks about me in this thread:
"You do argue for the sake of it, you've done so for many years, and I genuinely think you get off on it, for reasons unknown. Although I could probably guess fairly accurately. "

It's a hugely important issue, with multiple members of NSC whom suffer.
An issue I've posted on and support everyone on.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
"You do argue for the sake of it, you've done so for many years, and I genuinely think you get off on it, for reasons unknown. Although I could probably guess fairly accurately. "

What's that got to do with mental health or flippant remarks?
I've been on NSC long enough to identify common posting habits (as of course you, and many others likely have), and you appear to enjoy wading into arguments covering a variety of subjects, and sometimes play devils advocate, possibly to provoke those who have a genuine interest in the topic.
In some subjects/threads, it doesn't appear that you have your own full view, but insist on arguing for the sake of it.
This is what makes me believe you may enjoy it/'get off on it'.
But obviously, that is entirely subjective, I could have completely misread your posts over the past 8 years or so. Or maybe it's something you hadn't acknowledged yourself, either way, the world keeps on spinning.

That's good, but best not to undo the support/work by posting so flippantly about the subject.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Not sure what's going on with you on this thread Trig but you're really making a massive tit of yourself. It's out of character. Pedantry yes, being a tit, not you.

Willfully ignoring facts and insulting low blows aren't usually your style.

I'm out anyway, there's enough sense been written on this thread by some really intelligent and knowledgeable people. If others still want to argue that black is white then that's fine but it's also really ****ing irritating.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's that got to do with mental health or flippant remarks?
I've been on NSC long enough to identify common posting habits (as of course you, and many others likely have), and you appear to enjoy wading into arguments covering a variety of subjects, and sometimes play devils advocate, possibly to provoke those who have a genuine interest in the topic.
So what does 'Although I could probably guess fairly accurately.' mean?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Willfully ignoring facts and insulting low blows aren't usually your style.
It's not a low blow, because Stoneham is making it clear he has no issues. I haven't ignored facts - you two said that the other day, I ask what these facts are, and you don't respond.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So what does 'Although I could probably guess fairly accurately.' mean?

Exactly what it says, I could probably guess fairly accurately why you post the way you do.
I'm in no way insinuating that you have mental health issues, that was never my intention. And honestly, I cannot see how you may have interpreted it that way, but if so, I do apologize.

It's not a low blow, because Stoneham is making it clear he has no issues. I haven't ignored facts - you two said that the other day, I ask what these facts are, and you don't respond.

It is a low blow, but thankfully I'm confident enough in myself to not let grim comments like that get to me.
Others might not react the same way.

Regarding to the non-response of facts/posts, read through from where you entered the thread, the same is to be said of you.

The general conversation and topic has been pretty much derailed now, and you've just resorted to pedantry as has been identified in other threads/discussions and by other users.

I'm absolutely more than happy to discuss the subject, the positive and negative affects of cannabis, THC and CBD, legislation, cultivation and everything else associated.
I'm not being dragged further into this pedantry and tit for tat, it's a beautiful Sunday and I have a football game this eve (whilst watching the world cup currently).

If you want to talk and even debate on the subject, exchange views and opinions, I'm all for it. Let's just try and keep the thread on track and if others are interested in the subject, they can feel welcome to come in and say their piece.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
It's a hugely important issue, with multiple members of NSC whom suffer. This casual and possibly mocking attitude is something I absolutely do not want to be a part of.

I'm thick skinned enough to not be personally hurt or insulted by your (or anyone's) piss-taking. No harm done.
With regards to me having taken the piss, I apologize to [MENTION=35479]btnbelle[/MENTION] regarding the 'dunce' icon, this wasn't constructive and it's not something I would have said to her face-to-face. And as a general rule, you should only type what you would say 'in real life'. So my bad there BtnBelle.

I'd be eager to know why you think my comments are biased. This was an interesting assumption.

Edit: With regards to the WebMD link. I have no issues with the validity of the study.
From what I quickly read, 3000+ 12-13 year children who smoke weed were asked to complete a survey over a one year period, and the answers to the survey one year later indicated that the children who consumed cannabis for one year had given answers which predicted more psychosis symptoms a year later.

I completely agree that people should not consume cannabis (or any psychedelic/brain altering drug) until their brain is fully formed/they are an adult. Hence the strict enforcement of up to 14 year jail terms for those caught providing minors with cannabis.

However, I believe that if I was given a survey to complete (or diary entry or whatever), between 12-13 years old, as an adolescent male with large amounts testosterone bouncing around my body for the first time in my life, I believe my answers to the survey would also indicate more/higher psychosis symptoms.

Apology accepted. Thank you StonehamPark.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly what it says, I could probably guess fairly accurately why you post the way you do.
I'm in no way insinuating that you have mental health issues, that was never my intention. And honestly, I cannot see how you may have interpreted it that way, but if so, I do apologize.
Well I don't know what it does mean, it reads to me like you're saying I must be lacking some way, maybe cognitively, I don't know.

Regarding to the non-response of facts/posts, read through from where you entered the thread, the same is to be said of you.
I cannot see anywhere that I've been ignorant on the subject, my points seem to be correct. If there's a point I've made that's incorrect, it should be easy for you to quote it. Otherwise it's just noise and general accusations that aren't correct, like this:
The general conversation and topic has been pretty much derailed now, and you've just resorted to pedantry as has been identified in other threads/discussions and by other users.

If you want to talk and even debate on the subject, exchange views and opinions, I'm all for it. Let's just try and keep the thread on track and if others are interested in the subject
That is all I did. One person said they thought it was bad for heath and anti-social, another said that's not why it was made illegal, I asked why it was made illegal, and explained why I think it seems it was because they believed it to be bad for health and anti-social.

That was it. No offending anyone, not accusing anyone of arguing for the sake of it etc, just a simple point.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Come on everyone. Let's all kiss and make up before some knobhead mentions Pringles and their sadistic enjoyment of reading others arguing. No one on this thread means any harm, it's just a matter of different views colliding.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here